The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinic with Boyd Martin was awesome

This last weekend I took my new guy to Tyler, TX to clinic with Boyd. We had a blast, I signed up schooling novice group and really enjoyed the people in my group also the information and feed back I got from Boyd. I really enjoyed how he could size up any horse and ride and push each one out of their comfort zone. He did the same exercises for all the levels just at smaller heights. I have been pushing myself for several months with my new guy, I really want to become the best rider I can for him and Boyd helped me take that to the next level for us. I had a great show jumping day and we discussed how my boy needs a bit more fitness!!

X-country was a whole other ball game, the weather had dropped from the 70's into the 30's over night. So Minion decided to be a bit playful in warm up and then totally ignore my half halts all day, but the jumps were nice. Once again being pushed out of my comfort zone sometimes makes my stomach do flips, so when he said novice log, novice 2 stride, training coop???!!! I swallowed hard, I have never gone over anything training in my life!!! So off to the log, 2 stride, left turn to a black, half in shadow uphill training coop......ok Chrissy ride the back seat, eyes up and leg on.......right over Minion went after he took a bit of a shudder step to it!!! Good Boy!!!! Ok Chrissy breathe, grow a pair and now to the training ditch!!! When I kept hearing that awesome Aussie accent say good ride, I was in the clear.

Over all I really enjoyed riding with Boyd, he reminds me a lot of riding with my trainer. They both give me all the tools and send me out to make the mistakes and correct them and when I get back we discuss the issues and tackle again. I liked being pushed and allowed to make the mistake and try again. And even if it wasn't just right and Boyd raised his voice who could get to upset with such a great idol and awesome accent in your presence!!!!

I recommend riding with him if you ever get the chance!!!
    No Worries!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like a blast! Pictures?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Sorry no pictures. Working on the video today!!!
    No Worries!