The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default US Pentathalon looking for horses....Request went through Greater San Diego

Interesting read on the request for use of horses through the Greater San Diego Assn.

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/d1fda39...nformation.pdf

Hope that attachment works! I am a rookie COTH poster!

You can search the forum for "pentathalon" and find out what most of us think of the idea of lending a horse to them. It ain't pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

7 members found this post helpful.

TullyMars is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

That is why I posted this. I am very aware of the undercurrent here. Just thought the application was "interesting" and wondering who would be up for loaning their horses in our area. It was the first such attempt to get horses from our little association over here! Can't wait to see who is going.

Is it common to have a waiver that basically says: if we are negligent you agree not to sue us, but if we are sued because of your horse, you will pay all the damages?

Basically, give us your horse, you're responsible for everything you do and we do.

Might be common, but sounds pretty arrogant and something I would never sign.

2 members found this post helpful.

LOL. NO.

Show jumping needs to be taken out of the pentathlon until even the top athletes in that sport learn to ride.

Maybe we should all just learn to do the rest and we'd all be winning as the only people on the teams that know how to ride. You'd think you'd gain an advantage from actually being capable of riding well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

6 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    LOL. NO.

Show jumping needs to be taken out of the pentathlon until even the top athletes in that sport learn to ride.

Maybe we should all just learn to do the rest and we'd all be winning as the only people on the teams that know how to ride. You'd think you'd gain an advantage from actually being capable of riding well.
    I recall reading something that indicated this was not the case. It was an interview and the person (coach? athlete? team selector?) said that there were sports that it was advantageous for an individual to be good at and others that they could teach. IIRC, riding was in the "easily teachable" group, but was definitely not in the group that he felt was critical to have before being recruited. After all, as we all know, the horse does all the work.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I recall reading something that indicated this was not the case. It was an interview and the person (coach? athlete? team selector?) said that there were sports that it was advantageous for an individual to be good at and others that they could teach. IIRC, riding was in the "easily teachable" group, but was definitely not in the group that he felt was critical to have before being recruited. After all, as we all know, the horse does all the work.
    More like, coach knows most everyone will bomb that phase anyway, so it doesn't even matter. What we would call a "best of the worst" situation, like when the cross-cantering donkey wins the class.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

K so I'm going to learn how to run and swim and do all that other crap, then I'll just beat everyone in the riding. I'm pretty sure I've seen cross rail kids that are better than some of the pentatheletes.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    IIRC, riding was in the "easily teachable" group, but was definitely not in the group that he felt was critical to have before being recruited.
    Between that comment and what I have seen of pentathlon on TV, I wouldn't loan them a rented mule.

TullyMars is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

This was the initial request through our local association. At FIRST I thought that they were looking for new horse and rider pairs, then teach the running and the swimming! But, that was not the idea.

See if this link works. I especially love the clause that we cannot be held negligent even if we ARE negligent!
    http://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch

They ought to make the riding portion a dressage test. At least the horses would be less abused that way.

6 members found this post helpful.

"Stable Stall – Includes bedding (bagged shavings) and feeding of owner provided
    feed as they should be kept on their own diet. Additional bedding and feed
    provided at owner’s expense."

What even is that sentence?
    Owner-provided feed is included? Additional owner-provided feed provided at owner's expense?

Also, you get a free "add" in the World Cup Equestrian program? How about if you want your horse to do the real numbers but you would like to place an AD?

Also, how does one participate in a "completion?" Also, someone please decide whether to treat "Competition" as a defined term or not. We have the Competition and apparently also some other competiton. When spelled with a capital C, "Competition" is defined to include all of "their" officials. Who's they? Who constitutes this class of "they"? They did not however, define WHICH competition, WHEN, or WHERE, so I guess we could all remain confused on which Competition we are actually waiving, releasing and indemnifying here. Out of all the competitions going on with officials in the United States this year, which one are we releasing here, exactly???

Oh look, now we are indemnifying the completion. That completion sure gets around. And apparently a horse can be at a completion.

What's the USAP, btw? Did we define this acronym anywhere? According to google, "USAP" is "Universal Steel & Alloy Products." Or the "Universal Security Audit Programme." Maybe the Universal Security Audit Programme is having a completion with "their" officials somewhere? I'm sure they are glad someone took the time to write up a nice release for them.

Additionally, they offer a full color, full page to all their equine athletes. A full color, full page what is undetermined, despite the fact that the offer is in all caps and in blue.

They really may want to consider hiring a better lawyer, since the meat of the legal language is focused on some random "completion" and we don't even know who is hosting it or when. Really crucial to make sure that "completion" is well-protected...

Reminds me of the time when I as rider signed a "liability release" releasing a clincian from everything under the sun in relation to a clinic. There was no slot on there for the signature of the OWNER OF THE HORSE, who could, presumably, still sue that clinician for all they were worth.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Jan. 15, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

For reals meup. I think they need a new lawyer and at least a 5th grader to do their proofreading!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

When hell freezes over.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

SOME posters on here would not lend their horses. Probably not MOST...
    and some have no clue what is involved, and get fired up by the mentality of these posters who make it a huge issue. I have loaned my horses of all levels to all sorts of competitions and never once did a horse come back to me any the worse for wear. The first moment I got back on them they knew the difference.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

While it is relatively easy to fix the effects of some bad riding, it's harder when the horse is ridden to a series of bad distances and actually through some fences.

World Cup Final 2012 This is almost two hours long, so is probably a pretty good representation based on sample size. I only made it through a few and, while it can be argued that these may not be the best ones since they seem to be going in reverse order of placing, there may not be much correlation between their previous standing and their riding ability.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBLH89cVAw

The first hit that came up when I googled was pretty horrific, both with respect to the riding and the sound quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPq9B86LkY
    The Evil Chem Prof

Those horses are saints. And for the love of God, if you have a horse like that sell it for $$ as the most forgiving Ch/AA jumper EVER and don't lend it to a pentathlon!

My parents made the mistake of sending off my semi-retired CH/AD jumper while I was in Florida last year with another horse. I didn't get word of it until the competition was over. He can be seen in this video starting at 37 minutes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTGwvzDhPqc

The part that almost made me cry was when they said the horse tried to stop, like hell he tried to stop! He had every opportunity to, and yet he even jumped the triple and that vertical without a rail. He ended up being the only horse with four clear rounds. Incredible. While the people were very nice, and I gather that he was well taken care of during his stay, I would neverrrrr allow one of my horses to go back into that situation. A great horse can get ruined in a matter of two hours, and mediocre horse could become fried. Totally not worth the 500 dollars they offer to send you (I don't know if I ever even received that prize money) for top scoring horse.
    My parents have been told, NO MORE LOANING OUT of my horses with out permission! haha. Luckily he is a saint and is no worse for wear after his experience there, but I can't imagine everyone else could say the same thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think what's truly telling on your video likeaninja is the announcers laughing at how many jumps had been demolished, how many BROKEN jump STANDARDS had needed to be replaced during the competition! VERY telling that not only is the jumping HORRID but the people involved think it's funny and not a big deal to be crashing these animals through fences.

Quote Originally Posted by likeaninja View Post
    My parents made the mistake of sending off my semi-retired CH/AD jumper while I was in Florida last year with another horse. I didn't get word of it until the competition was over. He can be seen in this video starting at 37 minutes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTGwvzDhPqc

The part that almost made me cry was when they said the horse tried to stop, like hell he tried to stop! He had every opportunity to, and yet he even jumped the triple and that vertical without a rail. He ended up being the only horse with four clear rounds. Incredible. While the people were very nice, and I gather that he was well taken care of during his stay, I would neverrrrr allow one of my horses to go back into that situation. A great horse can get ruined in a matter of two hours, and mediocre horse could become fried. Totally not worth the 500 dollars they offer to send you (I don't know if I ever even received that prize money) for top scoring horse.
    My parents have been told, NO MORE LOANING OUT of my horses with out permission! haha. Luckily he is a saint and is no worse for wear after his experience there, but I can't imagine everyone else could say the same thing.
    Every horse there was taken very good care of, even though there were very few people who stepped up to serve as grooms. I know this because I was one of them. It was a bit of a disaster... there were not enough horses to go around, the footing in the arena was poor, some of the horses really were not suitable, and the course ended up being lowered about a foot from where it is at the Olympics.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.