The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I pay $10/hr. To do my whole barn (16 stalls) usually takes a little over 3 hrs. There is no dawdling because I work right along side the person. Part of the barn I use the tractor/manure spreader and 3 stalls we have to use the wheel barrow. I work along side because I do not allow anyone else to operate my tractor. I have 1 rule---no bitching and moaning---about anything. Talk must be kept pleasant. And I usually give $10 extra to help with gas.

I would say $40 a day would be fair for that amount of work. I would guesstimate that it would take me 2.5 hours to clean 5 standard stalls and 5 broodmare sized stalls, plus clean and fill water buckets and feed hay, but I know some people would take longer than that. I would not pay by the hour.

The last barn I worked at that had any part time employees had a part time feeder who was paid $30/feeding on non-holidays and $40/feeding on holidays to feed (hay and grain, automatic waterers in one barn, buckets to fill in the other) 30 horses.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

We used to pay hourly but it was killing us as one guy we had took way too long to get a days work done.
    so I devised a sliding scale based on the number of occupied stalls on our property. We have 20 total. We have a great set up, very well laid out, use muck buckets and a spreader so no wheel barrow pushing. We calculated about 15 minutes to clean a 12 by 12 stall properly plus bedding about three times a week. stalls are cleaned 7 days so no heavy filth or stripping ever.

a full barn is $55 a day plus extras for am feeding, scrubbing water buckets, other extra chores (all with a dollar amount tagged to it). We leave it open for our stall cleaners to hustle or take their time. On some days, our person might be in and out in a few hours. On a Saturday when the clients are around, our person might take breaks, socialize, enjoy the day. And sometimes we have stall cleaners schedule to work together and split the pay. Maybe one might have a family thing to do but they don't want to loose the whole days pay. The work is the same, it's up to the staffer to decide how fast they want to go.

Currently, my assistant trainer is also the weekday stall cleaner. But to ensure she gets sufficient time to work horses as well as a fair pay, we clean stalls together in the am. Then we have lunch and work horses, teach all afternoon. I give her the entire stall cleaner pay though because it's equitable for our business to pay her for her time and the time I gain from her in the afternoon. Otherwise, she would be cleaning stalls too long and not get to the horses who need work. I strive to have happy employees and I won't ask them to do anything I wouldn't do myself.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Here in the Boise, Idaho area, I was paid $10 an hour to clean 8 stall and their runs, 3 dry lots and their run-in sheds. I had to move horses around from turn-out to dry lots, dump and clean dry lot water buckets, fill turn-out water troughs, dump the golf cart bed and blow out the interior grooming area. I also had to throw hay to the horses that were brought in early from turn-out.

It took 2 of us about 2 hours to do the work (give or take depending on how many horses we needed to move around and the weather). In exchange I got $100 deducted from my board for 1 day a week of work. My husband came out and was my helper, so I didn't need to split my board deduction with anyone.
    Sheilah

Only read the first half dozen replies, but I'll add. On average I get $5/stall. My main business is farm -sitting/ per diem farm work, back up staff etc. It's rare someone wants me just to muck, but if that were the case, this would be my base price, and adjust for travel time/ poor set up, etc.

That is JUST for mucking & rebedding. Water or feed dumping or refilling, haying, sweeping, t/o, etc. is additional. That's a pretty common price for Fairfield County Ct & Westchester NY areas

I paid my stall cleaner $5 per stall per day for three stalls, plus the sacrifice paddock, so $20 per day, six days a week. He cleaned the stalls, re-bed them and blew out the aisle.

When I was doing it for pay, it was $30 to do 11 stalls-- picking, refilling w/ sawdust as needed, emptying/scrubbing water buckets, and tossing hay. No turnouts.

At the barn where I currently board, the difference between self-care and full-care is $50/month, and the only extra amenity with full-care is that the Barn Staff clean your stall (otherwise they still do all the feeding, turnouts, etc.), so essentially I'd pay $50/month to have my stall cleaned 7days/week.

A co-boarder and I share stall-cleaning duties 6 days/week, so to pay for 1 day/week for Barn Staff to do it, it's +$2/day.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

When I took on the roll as the assistant manager of a large show barn, I worked from 6:30AM - 11:00AM , 3:00PM - 7:30PM and would coach in between those hours. I got paid $10.00 per hour for my barn duties and 50% of lesson income.. and my board cost would be deducted from my cheque.

At the race track, there are a few "stall girls" who generally charge $5.00 per stall - no turn in/out or feeding. Just rinsing out buckets, cleaning the stall and putting out fresh bedding. They usually start around 5AM and go steady until 11:00AM and each girl would clean 30 stalls on average.

I don't think this question is a fair one without the context of the situation. If you have a racetrack with 200 stalls and a labor force roaming around with pitchforks- an idea like $3 per stall and a fat Christmas bonus might serve someone...but if you have a hobby farm with 5 horses and you think that someone is going to get out of bed, get into a cold car, drive to your place, do a good job and feel happy about it for $15 a day... Obviously you haven't paid your light bill or car insurance in a while.

On the other hand- if you are struggling to support your horse habit- and you can cut your board bill in half by doing grunt work around the farm where your horse lives- and the deduction would work out to...$X... The point is not what it actually comes out to in dollars- it's if it's worth your time to make that barter.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got paid by the hour based on what it took BO to do the same job by the hour.

I was paid $10/hr. Cleaning 5 stalls, putting out dinner, dumping poo with the tractor, refilling water--that all took about an hour. I could take more or less time but since it took BO about an hour, that's what I got paid for and I felt that it was fair.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...