The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Default How much do you get paid to clean stalls?

Just wondering how much is normal to clean stalls. I know most BO's pay by the hour but I have also heard of BO's paying by the stall.

Work would include mucking stalls, cleaning filling water bucks and putting hay in the stalls. I would not be feeding or turning horses in or out. (total number or stalls would be 5: 12x12 and 5: 12x24 double stalls) located in NC if that matters.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Not enough...lol...it's 26 degrees in the Bluegrass State today! It's our family farm, so I can't really answer your question.

$1.50/stall without turnout, $2.00/stall with turnout. Since you aren't doing turnouts and water/hay isn't that hard, I'd say $2.00/stall is fair.

I don't understanding paying by the hour.... you penalize people who are good and fast and encourage people to dawdle. And frankly, I'd rather get done and go home.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

One barn: $2.50 per stall, but that includes picking, rebedding, water, hay, and sweeping the aisle. Definitely more than the going rate (by about $.50 a stall) but has kept the same worker for many years as a result. Very low turnover. Approx. 25 stalls.

One barn: $14 per hour, 12 stalls and 4 drylots, for a total of 17 horses worth. Takes two workers approx. 2 hours to do morning feed, turnout, picking, rebedding, dumping and scrubbing waters, and blowing the driveway. Again, higher than the going rate, by $2-4 per hour, but has kept the same workers for over 10 years. They also work full time keeping the farm and homes maintained.

I get paid in love.

I think $2/stall is pretty low. That's only $10 for the day. Since you're doing waterbuckets and hay as well, I'd say closer to $5/stall.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if I was paid well, or highly ripped off, I'm just telling you what I did and what I made. Also, I just did this work to make some extra cash with the bonus of being in a horsey environment, I dunno if you need to consider that or not. I didn't live off the money or anything.

I worked in a small stable roughly ten years ago, one day a week. The BO had about twenty horses. I had to give the horses their morning feed (it was already ready to go in little buckets), fill water buckets, turn out (which meant just opening the back door and letting the horses run out one at a time), pick about 14 stalls, and actually mucked six. I made thirty dollars per day and it took me about three hours to do all the work.

YMMV though on the length of time, in my case I was making $30 regardless of whether it took me 3 hours or 3 minutes to do the work, so I'd take a little time to pet and visit with favorites. My BO didn't care because I came in early, did a good job, loved the horses, and had the work done way before any of the clients would come in.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

We don't pay by the stall but what we do pay works out to be $4.16 per stall.

M-F
    6 stalls
    Turnout horses
    clean/fill water buckets
    Sweep asile
    Last edited by pds; Jan. 16, 2013 at 08:56 AM.

I used to get $3.50/stall including mucking, rebedding, filling water, throwing hay, and blowing the aisle.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

When I rode at Old Salem the trainer paid the stall mucker $5 per stall.
    This was JUST to clean and bed the stall and dump and refill water buckets.

T/O, feeding, water top offs the rest of the day were all done by the trainer, me, and the groom (who was different from the stall mucker).

The horses were living in 10x10 temp stalls in the pole barn at the time.

$1.50 per stall is criminal, imo.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ha! I pay above $8/stall + run in. However, it is three days a week and we only have 3 stalls.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

The going rate will depend a lot on where you live. Someone who lives in an area where board is $600+ per month is hopefully going to earn more than someone who lives in an area where board is $300 or so per month.

Where I board, full care stall board is $295/month. There are 30 stalls in the barn, and it takes approximately 2-3 hours to clean and bed the stalls. Our barn owner pays $30 for this.

Morning chores involves feeding oats year round, alfalfa/hay in the winter, turning them out to the pasture and/or pens, filling water buckets in the summer/emptying chipping ice in the winter, feeding back - oats only in the summer, hay in the winter, and sweeping. It takes about 1.5-2 hours in the summer, 2.5-4 hours in the winter, and we are paid $25 for this.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Has been about eight years since I cleaned stalls (for pay) but at that time we got $1/stall for cleaning, rebedding and sweeping when we were done.

At my barn us girls who work off part of our board get paid $1.50 per stall (clean, re-bed if necessary, top off water), $2.00 if we dump and scrub water buckets. The stalls are smallish and matted, and definitely some of the easiest I've had to clean, so I don't complain!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Agreed, the rate will vary a lot by location. And it should also take into account the number of stalls (to make it worth the trip). For lack of more info, I would time it, average the time, consider the going rate per hour (in the region) then divide by the number of stalls.

I, too, think $1.50 is criminal. While it is manual labor, it should warrant a living wage. I would personally rather pay a living wage and keep good, honest staff. Turnover costs money and can hurt the business in so many ways.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

3 members found this post helpful.

I got to school young, wild horses and fall off a lot of cleaning stalls. I wish I would have gotten paid!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Currently the BO pays $50 a day (just went up from $30) (this includes: feed: am & pm, turn in & out, pick & rebed stalls, refill water buckets. no aisles to sweep since they are dirt but you must rake it so it looks decent. Total of 10 horse. 5 horses have 12x12 stalls and the other 5 have double stalls. Other boarders say it takes about 3-4 hrs to do everything.

My trainer says going rate for stalls in our area is $5. Since I don't feel comfortable handling some of the horse I won't be turning in or out. I was thinking $30 for the day just to pick stalls and fill water buckets rake aisle. That's $3 a stall. Just wanted to get some other opinions...Thanks guys!!!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

My BO "pays" (takes off my board) $75 per day. We have 10 stalls, currently 9 horses. I feed, turnout, clean stalls, add bedding, and blow out barn in AM. In PM, I feed and water, bring in horses, shut up the barn, and then set up all the sheds (we have 4 fields, and each field has it's own shed with hay and water). The AMs take me roughly 90 minutes, the PMs take me about 45 minutes. However, my BOs are fantastic, wonderful people who believe that they need to actually pay me what I'm worth in order the keep me around. And, they get their money worth - I am as type A in a barn as one can get. Things are done right, period. But, having worked at other barns, I know that I'm getting a really, really, REALLY good deal.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

I work off my board but when I do the math I "earn" $25/day to muck/rebed stalls (ranges from 10-14 stalls), do water and aisle ways. It takes me about an hour, sometimes up to 1.5 hours max.

$75 a DAY for a 10 stall barn???? Holy Crap!!!!

Our stall cleaner gets $4 per stall, plus a house on the property.

1 members found this post helpful.