The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Charlie

With heavy hearts and lots of tears, on Saturday we had our Charlie pts. He was a beagle we adopted from the local shelter just shy of two years ago after seeing him on their facebook page. He had that beagle smile on his face when we picked him up and he wore it every day until two days before we let him go.

He loved going for walks, the longer the better. He loved kids and got along with every animal he met, even the woodchucks and rabbits that crossed the yard got the happy "nice to meet you" bark/whine and tail wag. He had a bark/whine song that he greeted us with every time we came home. About 8 months before adopting him, we adopted another beagle from the shelter, and they were best buds from the moment Char walked in the door except at feeding time. Casey would chase Char away and steal his food, so they had to eat in different rooms, with a baby gate across the doorway to keep Casey away from Char.

Our town has a town pride parade every year. The route for the parade is one street over from our house. Before and after the parade, Char and Case liked to sit at the end of our walk hoping that people going to or coming from the parade would stop and pet them.

When we adopted Charlie, we knew that the vet had found testicular cancer when neutering Char. We also found out when we took him to our vet, that he had a heart condition. The shelter called the day we found out about the heart problem to see how things were working out, so we let them know what our vet said, and they offered to take him back. We decided that whether he had three days, three weeks, or three years he was staying. His heart stayed strong, it was the cancer that came back. He wasn't here long enough, they never are, but he was happy and brought us so much joy.

Rest now Charlie boy, until we met again.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for giving Charlie a home for the remainder of his days. Hugs and sympathy to you on your loss

So sorry for your loss. Godspeed, Charlie.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Aw sad, I'm sorry for your family's loss!

I'm so sorry.

Your words about Charlie are so eloquent; you obviously had a very special relationship with him. He was so fortunate that you found him and gave him a wonderful life, even though it was no where near long enough. Bless you all and I hope you can continue to recall all the good times and adventures you shared. You will see him again.

What more could a little Beagle hope for than what he had

Thank you for making the last two years of Charlie's life wonderful in a loving home. Godspeed Charlie. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I am so sorry for your loss. Bless you for giving him a good home.

So sorry for the loss of your Charlie. Love has no time limits for quantity or quality. I'm sure Charlie had enough love to last a lifetime. RIP pup!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Hugs to you, but bless you for giving Charlie such a wonderful home.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

You're awesome, and I'm sorry for your loss. Charlie had a great home his last couple of years.

Thank you for giving Charlie a living home of his own for the last few years of his life.

Two years or 12, they're never here long enough !

So sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm sure that you gave him the best 2 years of his life and he gave you his best in return. RIP Charlie. You were blessed to have had each other. {{{{{ HUGS }}}}}

Hugs! Beagles are the cutest and have found memories of one from my childhood who lived at lake resort we went to every year--her name was Petunia and she would hang with us all week.

Sounds like he had a wonderful with you!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Every animal should have a steward as amazing as you. Thank you for taking care of him. Rip little dog.

Thank you all for you kind and comforting words.

How are you doing now? I pray that you are adjusting to life without Charlie and trying to stay busy. He has just gone on ahead and will be waiting for you....

We miss him, of course. Most of the time we can talk about him and not cry. Watching the snow piling up got me a bit misty though, he loved to play in the snow. I get misty when I see Casey with his worried face. Char had a soothing effect on Case. I flat out bawl my eyes out when I read this thread. It was time though, and it would not have been fair keep him hanging on for us, though he would have without complaint until his body just gave out. He has a lot of friends across the bridge to play with until we get there.