The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty Acne - Caused by food?

I over the holidays bought a bag of Blue Wilderness to switch my cat over to. He was on a store brand kitten food, and since he will be 1 this month it was time to put him on big boy food.
    I did the switch slowly as I had a lot of the old food left. Started out with a handful in the slow feeder and over 2.5 weeks got up to 50/50 in his food bowl. In that same time I noticed his pink chin getting dirty and having black crud on it. Just assumed he was not cleaning himself very well and I would scratch his chin to remove it when he would let me. Well, this past week I noticed that he had some big sores and finally over the weekend once opened up. He does not seem bothered by the acne or sores.
    I took the Blue Winderness back and got the store brand grain free for him.

He eats out of a ceramic dish for dry food and a glass dish for wet. His water is in a stainless steel dish.

Anyone have kitty acne show up so quickly after changing foods?

It can be caused by food and yep it can come on that fast. The Spotted Wonder gets short bouts when I feed a certain 'colour' of tinned food, that being the purple label; don't ask since I rarely buy that flavour since it is usually sold out quickly. Not sure if it is the flavour or the fact that it is pate and quite thick. The only solution is to find something that agrees with him.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I'm coming to the conclusion that my cat's food may be causing him to have "kitty acne" problems. I've switched the dishes to no avail. He ran at me with his cheek this weekend, so delighted to have a human scratching post. Sometimes I think I'll lose my nose to his eye tooth. I feel so sorry for the little guy. Especially since I bought a BIG bag of the cat food. He has eaten two flavors of TOTW with no problem but this third combo... not so good.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

One of my cats had lots of allergies. His acne was much better when I kept him on a special food without corn, fish, or any of the myriad other things he was allergic to.

Our cats used to have this problem years back. I read that it can be the bowls one uses - plastic ones seem to be worst - no idea why!

I switched to little tin bowls, and haven't had any cat acne issues since.

Yes!

My female got wicked bad acne when everybody had to eat kidney food. As soon as the food got switched back to regular cat food (meow mix) the acne went away with in 2 weeks.

He has been on the old food only now since Sunday and all his acne has started to dry up. He has had no more that have come up and the ones he has have not bled since Sunday. Guess I now know what food works best for him and will not be making any changes to it.

Glad he was not the only one that had this happen too.