The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    Well, I don't know why we aren't calling the paddy wagon for the OP. "Turnout in Southern California."

Hmm. I can't believe my computer isn't questioning the spelling on that one. I believe turnout in Southern California to be impossible. :-) The OP clearly has simply been pushed over the edge of sanity by the lack of turnout in Southern California, and has sought refuge by hallucinating about a property that does not exist. She deserves our support and gentle handling. Accordingly, we must all tell her to go ahead with this project, because it will comfort her emotionally, to have this imaginary refuge wherein to hide from the realities of Life in the The Great Wasteland.

So, go for it, OP!

:-)

SharonA- This one really truly did have me laughing out loud! I am trying to stay even-keeled about this, but .... I didn't even mention that one of the pastures is irrigated, so ~gasp~... there might even be GRASS to graze on! We saw from some of the old google overhead pictures that prvious owners did the SoCal thing and jammed pipe corrals into every nook and cranny on the place (most of that pipe corra infrastructre is long gone, although the exterior fencing remains), but I certainly won't be doing that!

clanter-thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on the LLC, but I might need to revisit this, possibly do an S-Corp. After the earlier suggestion to have a potential leasee put together a business plan, I thought... what's good for the goose, eh ? After putting together a plan, and incorporating depreciation of capital assets like truck, buildings, etc (do you use straight-line depreciation? do you have any resources I can use to determine asset life for things like vehicles, buildings, improvements etc?), I realized that the LLC wouldn't actually "make" money for the first 2-3 years due to the start-up capital and expenses we'll have to invest in. But, again, i'd be making those investments whether it's me, myself and I with my own ponies in there, or I bring in a tenant with a business. With a tenant in there, I'll more than cover the monthly expenses of my own horses and then some. I do need to understand better what I can put through the LLC, and how the profit/loss of the LLC can be passed through to our personal incomes. We are limited on the passive income we can deduct from another rental we own, but this would be active income, no?
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default OFFER ACCEPTED!!!

And now Mr. & Mrs. hey101's Wild Ride begins (again).

I'm soooooooo excited!!! Probably April or May before we close, details still TBD.

And now I must run, I have to shop for ponies for my kids, and a tractor, and an OTTB project, and a wheelbarrow, and ring footing, and a ring drag, and etc etc etc
    ~Living the life I imagined~

2 members found this post helpful.

Join the USEF and get the max discount you can ever get on a JD tractor then get a Parma Groomer and skip all the mistakes i made with other groomers. Yippee!

Congrats OP!

You found turn out? With GRASS?!?!?! Where is it, can I come board with you? One of my horses was born here in SoCal, I don't think she's ever been in a turnout with grass. Or would it be considered a pasture at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    And now Mr. & Mrs. hey101's Wild Ride begins (again).

I'm soooooooo excited!!! Probably April or May before we close, details still TBD.

And now I must run, I have to shop for ponies for my kids, and a tractor, and an OTTB project, and a wheelbarrow, and ring footing, and a ring drag, and etc etc etc
    I have some kids for sell

1 members found this post helpful.