The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WISAIR saddles: just a fad?

I utilized the search forum yesterday and I saw a couple of comments in regards to this, but not much. A lady who boards at my barn just bought one of the monoflap jumping saddles and loves it. I've been doing some looking and they do look very nice, I'm just concerned if I would purchase one and need to sell it down the road, it might be a challenge. Any thoughts?

Its a nice quality monoflap jumo saddle with quite a few options and an adjustible tree for pretty cheap. I am seeing more and more at events and hearing more people rave about them. I saw them two years ago and thought they may be a quick fad or never catch on. I think it is beyond fad. I see them keeping thier popularity for quite some time. They actually are nice saddles. I dont think you would have a problem with resale especially among eventers.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Ditto everything above. FWIW, I'm an eventer.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Bump....anyone else?

They do come in dual flaps, as well, and look a little more traditional.

I actually tried one during my saddle search. It was an impressively nice saddle...on par to saddles twice its price, really, just not right for my horse and me. The hole in the seat was odd for about 15 seconds, then it went totally unnoticed. Whether it is a fad or not, I can't tell you, but they are quality saddles with a nice price point.

I don't know, I sell a lot of them, and I won't ride in anything else. It's not the quality or the price, FWIW, I think they are a LOT of money for the build quality. However, I haven't find anything even close in terms of how balanced and secure it makes the rider. Like i say, I had to buy my own demo when it looked like it would have to go back ... and honestly, you'd have to pry it out of my dead hands. I don't beleive it will be particularly long-lived - mine's looking great having been ridden in up to 6 horses most days all through 2012. but it's only a year old. I don't know what they are going to look like at 5 or 10 years old.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Oh wow, I've never seen a saddle like that! Very interesting. I'd be curious what it rides like, I ride in Antares (and love), and didn't like cwd or butet. How nice is the leather?

Oh my gosh! The leather is to DIE FOR!! Or at least on the ones I sat in at Rolex Kentucky and USPC East Coast Champs last year! It was a bit odd, but the Dressage saddle was so perfect for me! Now if only I can save save save and buy it...... that won't happen and we all know it, haha!! The saddle had stick to it (the one I sat in, at least) but would "let" you go I guess? The knee block and seat were great on me, and I could "post" like you would on a horse w/o stirrups or horse. It was awesome!! (the Dressage) the Eventing monoflap was sooo cool, too!! I want one SO BAD!!!! But, I'll never be able to save up that much $$ for one, haha!!
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers