The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Up-Date On My Auction Horse

I bought a horse at an auction on Jan 1st. Not because I needed or wanted another horse, but because something in his eye spoke to me. He was grumpy and fussy, but there was something I fell in love with.

Fast forward to today. I've worked almost every day these past two weeks. It's been crazy. The horse has sat the entire time. Today, we want to go for a trail ride at a State Park almost 2 hours away. I want to take my new guy, but I don't even know if he was drugged??? So, I hop on him here at the farm in a halter and lead rope and he walks, trots, and canters like a dream.

We get to the Park and I realize my stirrup leathers are on my other saddle. So, I take new horse without stirrups. He is a SAINT. We do creeks, bridges, roads, etc. I've never felt so safe. At the end of the trail ride, I was Facebooking a picture of him on my phone. Before I could hit enter, I heard a snap. He spooked, but I pulled him up and he stopped...just in time for a tree (not a limb) to come crashing down on me. It knocked me right off him. Sean leaped off his horse to make sure I was OK. I was hurt, but no head injury. My new guy stood there like a rock while Sean took care of me. Sean ended up putting me on his horse because he was tacked up Western and I ponied the new horse while he lead us with my good arm (I could not move my right arm or walk on my right leg). Sean loaded both horses by himself and it was like they both knew what had happened. I've never seen two horses self-load togerther so easily.

Best of all, the new guy was not cranky in the leastl. He stood for me to mount and dismount several times by myself. We found out he will lead or follow on the trail. Everything I asked, he said "yes" to without any issues. I am so glad I found him (and he found me!).

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

4 members found this post helpful.

So now will you wear a helmet? (hopping off soapbox)

Your new horse is indeed a saint! Whatever site helped you get this boy, please post your success on their page to encourage others to take a chance and save a life.

Good luck in the future to you and your lucky boy.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Still need a name for him? How about Hero.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gerat news on his reactions! Makes the tree falling on you a little less painful emotionally at least.

At the risk of revealing that I am a total NERD, how about the name Appa from the series Avatar. Take a read through the wiki ... http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Appa
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

So glad you rescued him! Great for the both of you...

Now, please don't text and ride and please wear a helmet

Wow! Hope you are okay. And give that pony a big fat kiss!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

He sounds like such a sweetie! I hope you're okay!

What a blessing!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

He's got a really nice overtrack too! Enjoy him!

I didn't go through a rescue. I purchased him AT the auction! I loved him from the minute I saw him. When I went to get on, he kind-of cow kicked at me. I had to have him (I love horses with a little 'tude). I bought him CHEAP (think meat price). He hasn't taken a wrong step since getting to our farm and Sean did his teeth this past Tuesday and they were HORRIBLE. Sean said it is amazing he didn't try to kill me. The poor guy has ulcers, cuts, and lacs from the sharp points throughout his mouth. No wonder why he was grumpy at the auction. This horse LITERALLY is a SAINT.

Congratulations to both you and your new boy. You are very lucky to have found each other!!!