Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to clean cat with poop stuck on rump?

CotH wisdom needed!
    One of our barn cats is a quasi-feral, small, (7 lbs?) female cymric, (think long, silky coated Manx). She appeared at the barn as a kitten with 2 other very young, maybe unrelated, males, when the neighboring farm was sold. The new owners found a feral/domestic colony and asked the local rescue to trap them. These 3 decided to seek their fortune on their own.

She has hardened poop stuck on her rump and can't seem to get it off. It is matted around her anus and in the long hair. She is very quick and afraid of being trapped, handled or held. I got her to the vet once to get her spayed/shots and she hasn't allowed since. That was 5 or 6 years ago. I can get tick frontline on her and pet her if she is willing and I'm sneaky.

She has been boney thin, so I started feeding her fancy feast with her kibble. I wormed her, too. I have to stay with her to keep the big 20 lb males from stealing her food. She is slowly picking up weight. She just started letting me put her in the tack room to eat the fancy feast, but scoots out and wants the kibble with the others. I pick up the feed dishes when I leave the barn, since there are other critters that I don't want to feed.

Thanks for any ideas!

By the way, her name is Valkyrie. She can audition for the Wagner operas with her shriek. Ferocious mouse, squirrel and rabbit hunter. Hasn't nailed the pair of pigeons yet...
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Turn the clippers on when you call her to her food. She will associate them with food. Run them while she eats. Repeat.. After a while (a few days?) run them down her backside while she is eating. or you could do it with blunt nosed scissors.
    I let my cats smell scissors, pick them up and snip the air all around them until they are blasé. Then I move in for a true cut where they have matted fur. I do this with nail clippers too and can get one toenail done before she notices. And yes it takes several days to clip her nails.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Chall,
    She is faster than I am. It has taken me 6 months to get her to the point of eating in the tack room.

I have a long haired female who twice has come in with cockle burrs and poop completely covering her backside. She is tame but very over reactive to being held. I managed to get a good grip on her scruff and soaked her mess down with Pam, (actually generic cooking spray). I Then rubbed the spray in as much as I could before she got away from me. YUCK, much hand washing needed after that one . But, it did the trick. She was able then to get herself cleaned up because the cooking spray made her fur slippery. And it can't hurt them, it is just vegetable oil.

Good idea, no DQ! Only use gloves next time . . . . .

I have an ancient elderly indoor cat that has this problem regularly. But I can use shampoo and wash the back end.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Sorry to be such a newbie with cats. She just isn't like any of the others that have lived with us. She is wild enough that the vets who have seen her thought she might have a good dose of bobcat. She has a strong resemblance to them.

I wish I could grab her by the scruff, as that would make it possible to not only work on her poop ball but get her to the vet for shots and exam. But, Valkyrie is "over-reactive", wary and sensitive, to boot. Her fighting skills can rival those of the girls of the Ring of the Nibelung.

I'm at a disadvantage in that I've broken my fingers enough with the horses that I can't close them tightly. What kind of gloves do you recommend? Grip and tooth/claw-proof ideas?

I just finished oral dosing a horse for the last 2 months, and used the Pam to keep the syringe plunger working. The sound does make her bolt. Can a Manx even reach her rear-end? Maybe put olive oil on my hand to get it on her?

Where do you get the blunt curved scissors? How do you sharpen them? She has on rare occasions let me snip off long mats- usually there is a tick bite that is itchy enough to distract her.

That is a difficult situation. I also have a Manx cat who gets the same problem now and then. She is at least not feral, but can get rather upset when I have to clean her up. I sometimes put on my outdoor Carhart coat and a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and just have a wrestling match with her. It has been bad enough I have held her over the laundry utility sink and ran warm water right over her rump. She does object rather strenuously, but the coat and gloves keep me from getting scratched. I also try to keep her trimmed up back there, but that also requires protection.

Oh, and kitty is so chunky she just can't do it herself so we are working on her weight too.

The cooking spray is an interesting idea. I might have to try that one!

I've filled up a five gallon bucket with warm water and dunked before, but the cat wasn't THAT feral and I rather think he felt relief. Tried it with a different cat and I'd recommend leather gloves because rubber gloves are just going to get a LOT of holes. Good luck.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There is usually enough slack that you can get between the poop and the skin and cut the hair off with scissors. How you would do any of that with a feral cat is beyond me though. Maybe an oral tranq in her food? Get someone to wrap the front end in a towel and hold her as tight as they can?

I would try the oil in your hand idea first. I have an extremely non-feral, friendly cat who becomes a freaking monster when we attempt to bathe him, so there is no chance I would want to try it with something that was not exactly tame. Hopefully the oil will make her groom back there and will make her slick so the poop comes off easily.

The poop obviously bothers you more than it does the cat. Leave it alone. Continue to socialize her and save up the good will for when you really need it--i.e., when the cat is actually hurt or sick and needs veterinary care.

Spoken as the owner of a couple of feral cats.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Several decades ago our vet taught us how to handle barn cats that were not that tame yet and it worked wonderfully on tame ones, the cat burrito.

You play with cats with a small kitchen rag on the end of a whip/stick.
    Then you go on to rubbing the cloth on the cat.
    Then you get a bigger towel, then rub and cover the cat.
    Then, when you have to, gently burrito the cat, all but the paw, head, behind, whatever you need to get to in the towel and do what you have to do as you keep scratching and playing with the cat.

For that last, best with two people, so one can distract the cat with scritches while the other snips, treats, cleans, whatever you need to do.

The trick is to train your cats towels are playtime and feel good to be rubbed with them and to do it in a small place, where if the cat really wants to move off, you can let it go and start again, not force it.
    We used the tack room for that and all our barn cats got their vaccines and any care there, our vet was very handy with that towel burrito trick, but the real trick is in the handling and respecting the cat when objects and quit before the cat quits you.

Most cats would stay still in the burrito and purr away.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There is usually enough slack that you can get between the poop and the skin and cut the hair off with scissors. How you would do any of that with a feral cat is beyond me though. Maybe an oral tranq in her food? Get someone to wrap the front end in a towel and hold her as tight as they can?
    I was thinking some kind of tranquilizer myself. I have a long-haired cat as well...I bought a pair of clippers and learned to give my cat a sanitary clip. Helps with that issue a lot.

Good luck with your girl.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Most cats would stay still in the burrito and purr away.
    A purrito??
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I was thinking some kind of tranquilizer myself.
    Tranquilizers usually do not work with ferals. They can smell it in food, and if you try to inject them they are so full of adrenalin by the time they get the drug that it doesn't work or makes it worse.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    A purrito??

Sorry not to thank you and reply yesterday. I had back surgery yesterday to cement and superglue a fractured vertebrae. Amazingly easy, with little down time, by the way.

I guess eclectic horseman is right. Ferals are tough and it has taken me 6 years to get this far. The poop ball bothers me and her best friend cat, Nocturne, more than her. She reeks, and neither of us want her hind end touching us. Nocturne isn't keen on sharing the warm cat dwelling I made for them in the loft. Since it has been raining for days, I had hopes that it would melt on its on accord. I feel sorry for her.

In reading up on Manx, it seems that the very short spine and the defects that make the hopping gait, do make it close to impossible to reach the hind end to clean it.

She likes to hop up on the loveseat in the barn when I'm doing snuggle time with Nocturne, and will place herself for a quick stroke before she panics and bolts. Then she will come back for another round. He is more like a big British type and quiet, mellow and kind. He takes care of her.

By the way, they know how to spring a have- a- heart trap from the outside. When Valkyrie had her only litter of kittens, Nocturne and his brother, Big Kahuna, lined the kittens up and showed them how it worked. So much for that approach for getting them and her to the vet...

(Big Kahuna decided to be a guardian house cat and now guards my computer. He feels the need to edit, too.)

We tried the play with a feather on the end of a lunge whip, and she didn't trust to play. The cloth idea didn't work either. I have used the purrito on the house cats with success, but they are tame and trusting.

1 members found this post helpful.

By the way, the 2 males, Nocturne and Big Kahuna, are heavy boned, double coated that molts in the Spring, have the tufts on their toes and the general look of a Norwegian Forest cat from the google images.

Valkyrie ! Mine is Athilla (the Hun).
    You can get the scissors at a value store, they are sometimes found in the children's store.
    The Pam or Olive oil sounds like it would have the benefit of getting a little fat into her but she might get very cold from slicked down fur.
    Purrittos don't work with my kitty, force of any kind is not forgotten and will be retailiated She is not feral but has an inflated idea that her body is her's, do not touch without express permission. I've had her 18 yrs
    Maybe you can take a house cat and feed him in the tack room for company and then take him back.