The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In my observation of the world, religious observance is not correlated with compassion, kindness or tolerance unless inversely. What group in our country is more strictly observant of religious doctrine than the Amish?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

2 members found this post helpful.

I was interested in the fates of a couple of these morgans... did anyone hear about results for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    OP maybe you can "out" the horse you are worried about here on COTH. Maybe somebody will snap him up at the sale?
    Well, naming names, who will want him with his brains fried??

You are whining about horse going to the Amish, but WHO fried him? He doesn't sound real safe at the moment, and it WASN'T any Amish person who fried him to win in the ring!!!

Granted he may have been well cared for physically, blanketed, fed well, groomed to a fare-thee-well to win. Still has LOST his mind, in the hands of REGULAR MORGAN FOLKS.

Between the two groups of folks, which is the WORSE way to keep a horse?

I know I wouldn't consider buying one who was fried. I don't have a year or more, maybe NEVER able get him back to being usable.

There are ALWAYS folks who do poor stuff to horses, both English like us and Amish folks. There are ALSO excellent horse handlers, both Amish and English like us. That is how humans are, should not be "grouping them" by religion, discipline, or where they live. You folks are WAY TOO FAST at finger pointing, making judgements about "us and them" in horse keeping.

3 members found this post helpful.

We took our Morgans that were national reserve champions and regional champions and put them to work as competitive trail horses when they became bored with going around and around... and they then became national champions once again in trail and three day eventing

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r04-07_001.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...meeLanter2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...er/trinity.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lastscan-2.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/clanter/CTR.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...oldCup1991.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

That is sad to hear about the Amish horses. Makes sense many would be treated just as working animals with minimal care. Is there a possibility folks who live in those areas could chip in and donate feed or educate the amish about horse care? Probably wouldn't work but....very hard to hear about it.

Was wondering what happened to the #1 horse going through the sale. One of my customers was eyeing him but we found something else before the sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7CDkZQbQKw
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Well, naming names, who will want him with his brains fried??

You are whining about horse going to the Amish, but WHO fried him? He doesn't sound real safe at the moment, and it WASN'T any Amish person who fried him to win in the ring!!!

Granted he may have been well cared for physically, blanketed, fed well, groomed to a fare-thee-well to win. Still has LOST his mind, in the hands of REGULAR MORGAN FOLKS.

Between the two groups of folks, which is the WORSE way to keep a horse?

I know I wouldn't consider buying one who was fried. I don't have a year or more, maybe NEVER able get him back to being usable.

There are ALWAYS folks who do poor stuff to horses, both English like us and Amish folks. There are ALSO excellent horse handlers, both Amish and English like us. That is how humans are, should not be "grouping them" by religion, discipline, or where they live. You folks are WAY TOO FAST at finger pointing, making judgements about "us and them" in horse keeping.
    This describes EVERY horse at the Amish farm where I board, EXCEPT the dozen that he got in over Christmas while the owners went on vacation. Those (English owners) are walking hat racks. Mill Creek bad. The BO found some sheets to put on them. Perhaps you would like to put together a fund for them to learn some horsemanship? Or maybe give them the $50 to get their no-count stud cut?

Maybe take a trip beyond Lancaster. When I was there (the barn) at Christmas, at least half the horses in the Amish fields had blankets on. You won't see too many horses out on the road though, because at 12 degrees, they just don't drive them.

The horse in this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...k-over-weekend is Amish.

When living in PA, we boarded our horse at the farm located in the middle of Amish & Mennonite communities. The communities were not particularly large (not like Lancaster area).

Both our farriers were Amish and excellent & kind horsemen. The old one was a Morgan aficionado, the young one was into Standardbreds.

When going to the farm, I often drove by buggies and also a small local school.

I never saw a horse in poor flesh; horses looked healthy, fit, and well taken care of.

If standing in the front of the school, waiting for children during cold months, horses had blankets on.

They also had those funny sacks with feed/hay available.

It saddens me to read, this might not be a norm within the community. In this sense, I was naïve.

Yet, I would like to second Red Mares' opinion that there are plenty of good horse caretakers among Amish.

I guess, it is the same everywhere.
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne

I grew up 10 minutes from where M.K. Smith and tabula rashah live.

Sure, there are good Amish horsemen. Lots of them. There are also ones who treat their horses worse than most people treat their vehicles.

Regardless of how the horse is treated, a life of navigating busy, 50 mph two-lane roads is hardly "mindless" or "relaxing." Those horses have it rough on the roads, at least in Lancaster County and the surrounding areas where the Amish and urban sprawl constantly clash.

So why would anyone in their right mind knowingly take the risk of sending their horse into that type of situation??? It's kind of like sending your horse to a feedlot and hoping he will get a good home...

Anyway, OP-- I'm glad it sounds like the horse you knew ended up OK!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    So why would anyone in their right mind knowingly take the risk of sending their horse into that type of situation???
    Well, I would not send my Morgan into that type of situation and Amish would not want his lazy little bubble butt anyway.

I just felt, I owed it to the Amish I met, to say that not all/or even most Amish are mistreating their animals.

I worry more about the attitude of show circuit people, who think they can milk their horses for what they are worth, use them up, and then dispose of them in an auction, thus washing their hands of the responsibility for the fate of horses that served them/made money so well.
    Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. - A.A.Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Regardless of how the horse is treated, a life of navigating busy, 50 mph two-lane roads is hardly "mindless" or "relaxing." Those horses have it rough on the roads, at least in Lancaster County and the surrounding areas where the Amish and urban sprawl constantly clash.
    My ASBs would disagree whole heartedly with you about being road horses. They very much enjoy it. Ears up & bright eyed. My balky, half-fried should have been show horse is just as game as can be with a gray ribbon in front of her. Put her in a ring & she'll dump you out of a bike in heartbeat. My BO has permission to use her and Mom's pony whenever he needs to.

Most Ams I know avoid the busy roads if they can and do take the safer back roads. The community I am familiar with, practically am a part of, has a busy state road that carries both heavy traffic and horses (its the only way to Wal-Mart), and most avoid driving a horse down it if they can. I would be very surprised if the Lancaster crowd didn't feel the same way about Rt 30. But sometimes you have do it, even if you don't want.

My mare is for sale as an Amish horse; I have a lot less worry about her getting into trouble in that arena than as cranky show horse.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I stand by it. I took my trainer horse shopping in Amish land in IN and he was impressed by the horses on the road. Shocked by the semis blowing by horses and no one getting upset, but generally impressed by the condition of horses. I have seen several show horses who were unsafe under saddle just chill going down the road. Some were picked up by trainers again and went back in the show ring.

OP, this probably sounds harsh, but I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it. Even if your friend's horse is sold to an Amishman, he'll probably still have pretty good home. If you PM me, I can send you some pics of my Amish friend's horses. BTW, his son left the Church 3 or 4 years ago; he still has his buggy horse and didn't sell it to a Canadian meatpacker.
    Depends on the area. The one you see in IN are better than some in some areas of IL, for sure.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by emilia View Post
    Well, I would not send my Morgan into that type of situation and Amish would not want his lazy little bubble butt anyway.

I just felt, I owed it to the Amish I met, to say that not all/or even most Amish are mistreating their animals.

I worry more about the attitude of show circuit people, who think they can milk their horses for what they are worth, use them up, and then dispose of them in an auction, thus washing their hands of the responsibility for the fate of horses that served them/made money so well.
    Yeah, I think it's unfair of posters on this thread to keep bashing the Amish community based on a small locale.

In my experience, those horses are treated as livestock, not pets, and treated accordingly. Intentionally abusing your livestock is not a good idea, even just if you look at it economically. Most of the horses that I've encountered with the Amish worked very hard but I rarely see something I would classify as abuse. I see it about as often as I see someone at a horse show doing something I would consider abusive.

It does make me happy that most people have moved from horse/buggy to automobiles. I don't care if you abuse your ford fiesta; I very much care if you abuse your Morgan.