The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thanks for the well wishes- so far he has been very easy to deal with, settled into group turn out, perfect ground manners, but now he is brewing an abcess, but so easy to soak his foot and very well behaved still even though he is stuck inside waiting for it to pop. I can't wait to start the undersaddle work with him!

I was showing my OTTB to a city slicker, who asked me if I had rescued him.
    My reply was that yes, SOME former racehorses get rescued, but very often they are repurposed. People pay for them, they make great event/show horses.
    It's great to hear about horses that are in a good place, waiting to be in another good place.

My OTTB was rescued, but not from his racing connections- he was 150 pounds underweight and spoiled (barn sour, rear and spin and run home) by kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillabeana View Post

My OTTB was rescued, but not from his racing connections- he was 150 pounds underweight and spoiled (barn sour, rear and spin and run home) by kids.
    Many species need to be "rescued" from "kids" !!!

Love, love this thread. Congrats of getting him - fingers crossed for swift abscess resolution so can you can get in the saddle and ride!

His abcess finally blew- above his heel at the hair line, he is feeling much better, so I climbed on tonight! He stood at the mounting block no problem, walked and trotted around like a big kid with his favorite word being whoa. It is going to take some time to get him to follow his head, he is pretty rubber necky to ride, but so polite. I'm very happy with him!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been following this guy for 2 years. I just wish I had a spot for him right now. He's LOVELY!

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    There are a couple more good-looking campaigners on Canter NE.
    Like this guy:

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=296

Fillabeana.. marvelous choice of words - "repurposed" - I am going to use that next time someone comments my ottb "must be a rescue". Glad to see the abscess resolved itself.. here's hoping he doesn't pull any tricks when he's out in a group so you can put those HS on!
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Congrats on your new OTTB!! I got my OTTB (Montana Country) from Canter (but more directly through his trainer) last year and he has been amazing!! I have also been eyeing King's Coronation on the website too... he is stunning! I wish I could afford a second (financially and time wise)... I keep checking to see if he is still listed and he's always on there! I hope someone good snatches him up soon, if not already.
    It is always great to see that racehorse trainers aren't all bad. My horse's trainer seems to have treated him with the best care and seems to have really used a gentle hand when training him. My horse does not spook, doesn't shy and has NO vices. I could not have gotten a better horse for me. He absolutely LOVES to cuddle and all the barn hands tell me how silly he is.
    I would get another OTTB any day of the week if only I could afford it!
    Good Luck with your new cute boy!

Quote Originally Posted by jken710 View Post
    Congrats on your new OTTB!! I got my OTTB (Montana Country) from Canter (but more directly through his trainer) last year and he has been amazing!! I have also been eyeing King's Coronation on the website too... he is stunning! I wish I could afford a second (financially and time wise)... I keep checking to see if he is still listed and he's always on there! I hope someone good snatches him up soon, if not already.
    It is always great to see that racehorse trainers aren't all bad. My horse's trainer seems to have treated him with the best care and seems to have really used a gentle hand when training him. My horse does not spook, doesn't shy and has NO vices. I could not have gotten a better horse for me. He absolutely LOVES to cuddle and all the barn hands tell me how silly he is.
    I would get another OTTB any day of the week if only I could afford it!
    Good Luck with your new cute boy!

Does anyone know when King's Coronation was listed?

Also, congrats on the new guy. Hope all is going well!!
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

King's Coronation has been on since the fall. You should check with CANTER if you're interested but he may not still be available.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

"You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    King's Coronation has been on since the fall. You should check with CANTER if you're interested but he may not still be available.
    He is not available anymore.

Another question though, if he's recently been working at Beulah, does that mean he probably went to another trainer? And how would I find out who that is?

I wouldn't mind being able to follow him (or his trainer), until the ole boy gets the chance to start a new career or retirement. I'm worried about him getting used up and thrown out with the trash, so to speak. I just hope he's with someone who will take care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    He is not available anymore.

Another question though, if he's recently been working at Beulah, does that mean he probably went to another trainer? And how would I find out who that is?

I wouldn't mind being able to follow him (or his trainer), until the ole boy gets the chance to start a new career or retirement. I'm worried about him getting used up and thrown out with the trash, so to speak. I just hope he's with someone who will take care of him.
    I don't know if this is current but you can usually find trainer information out here:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...968&registry=T

Otherwise, I'd check in with CANTER and find out what they know.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I don't know if this is current but you can usually find trainer information out here:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...14968®istry=T

Otherwise, I'd check in with CANTER and find out what they know.

I emailed them once and got no response. I could try again, but I'm not too hopeful. Equibase shows you the information as of the last race, not their current status, unfortunately. I was just wondering if there was a way to find out. Thanks for your help!

I really like Awesome Preacher. He looks fantastic!

What about this girl? I like her long legs!

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=296