The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chances of finding a Slew line OTTB?

I am starting to look for my next OTTB, but really want to be picky and get something from the Seattle Slew line. I've had several Slew babies and really like the characteristics those babies have.

My question is - is there a way to cut through all the OTTB's listed and search specifically for Slew bred horses? Anyone have any hints of how to find these babies?

Some classified searches let you search by bloodline. (equine.com, dreamhorse, etc). Otherwise, that is one of the most common lines, if you check the pedigrees of those you are interested in, many will probably trace back.

They are really all over the place. Not unusual to run across him in the pedigree at all!!

As Beam Me Up says, the big for sale sites let you search the pedigree--although, really, most horses are posted with only a registered name or only one or two generations back.

You're really probably stuck looking up horses in pedigree query or on equineline.com. It goes pretty quick if you're proficient with ctrl+c and ctrl+v

Anything sired by one of A P Indy's many sons at stud is a Slew sireline as Slew sired Indy. One that is gaining a following is Dance With Ravens. XCtrygirl's Petey is a son of DWR!

Malibu Moon is another that many like. Declan's Moon, a former champion is in the Reired Racehorse Training Program of Steuart Pittman's and is doing well, after a 5 year break! They are generally a good looking bunch.

The Rock Slide babies are gaining a following in the hunters and eventing world. He stands in MD and there is a heavy "TB culture" in the mid Atlantic so he has plenty of offspring in the "riding horse" world.

Slew still has several sons at stud. None are major sires. His last big runner was Vindication who died young.

His son Dr Caton hails from the family that produced Affirmed. Affirmed was famous for wonderful temperment and conformation so I imagine that he might sire a nice horse for show or sport.

His son Tomahawk brings in a cross of Secretariat (more Bold Ruler) and of course Secretariat is much prized as a sport influence.

If that sireline is what you really want, you might try contacting some CANTER folks and letting them know that if they see any offspring of sons of Slew that you'd be especially interested.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

You have a PM about Dance With Ravens

Thanks everyone! I'm familiar with AP Indy, but not so much with DWR. He is one I'll look for.

I would definitely like to find one right off the track (both for price consideration and because I like to put all the work in). I will probably go ahead and send a note to the CANTER folks to see what's out there.

I just sold an AP Indy grandson that we got off the track in Charlestown. There are a bunch around this area, though I think by the time you get to this generation the Slew blood is pretty diluted...

I agree that I see it quite a bit when I query for fun. Mine is actually "Slew-d" on both sides, he's an AP Indy grandson through his sire and his grandmother was a Slew mare. And he's awesome, so I totally agree with you, ROFL!

To make my search even more like finding a needle in a haystack....

Anyone know of any horses (they would be older now) by Houston? Two of my particular favorites were Houston sons. They weren't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but both were the best horses I've ever sat on.

Ditto above. Go for the AP Indys, he got (and tends to pass on) the good stuff of Slew plus the awesomeness of his dam, Weekend Surprise. I don't think I've seen an AP Indy son or grandson at stud that I don't like!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

There is 1 Dance With Ravens filly on CANTER PA and you can contact Xcountrygirl she did a massive search for all race age DWR and would be a good resource for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    The Rock Slide babies are gaining a following in the hunters and eventing world. He stands in MD and there is a heavy "TB culture" in the mid Atlantic so he has plenty of offspring in the "riding horse" world.

I LOVE my Rockslide mare. Great mind and type and an absolutely fabulous jump...she turns heads of a lot of good horsemen.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My former horse (by Denouncer) is an amazingly talented jumper and very good mover
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have an excel file of all Dance With Ravens sons still running and possibly attainable. (gee think Petey added my preferences much? Lol)

I'm happy to share with anyone.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Default I have a DWR son...

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    I have an excel file of all Dance With Ravens sons still running and possibly attainable. (gee think Petey added my preferences much? Lol)

I'm happy to share with anyone.

Emily
    So my new guy is a son of Dances With Ravens but he never raced. Trained just a bit at the track but no starts. I am very interested to know what qualities you are seeing in his siblings! Would love to know what his strengths (and weaknesses) might be as we are getting to know each other.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=8040379
    Fox Wood Farm

I had to laugh since I just glanced at the bloodlines of the mare I will be picking up this weekend, she is Slew bred

It would be harder to find a horse without slew in the pedigree given how many goals he had on the ground... But I have to ask, considering that you will probably get 1/16 slew blood at the most now given his age, what exactly are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyLove View Post
    To make my search even more like finding a needle in a haystack....

Anyone know of any horses (they would be older now) by Houston? Two of my particular favorites were Houston sons. They weren't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but both were the best horses I've ever sat on.

Didn't he stand in CA? I think he died recently. I found this son of his standing for sport horses....maybe you could cook your own or find an interesting prospect through them.

http://www.noblehouston.com/houston.html
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Wood Farm View Post
    So my new guy is a son of Dances With Ravens but he never raced. Trained just a bit at the track but no starts. I am very interested to know what qualities you are seeing in his siblings! Would love to know what his strengths (and weaknesses) might be as we are getting to know each other.

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=8040379
    Ahhhh I was looking for him, being a die hard Ravens Fan!!

To see more of my guy, go to www.facebook.com/PeteyCap

I am seeing a lot of amazing brains and really natural jumpers. They're all still younger, first year at stud produced foals of 2007. So barely 6, but in my (albeit semi limited) experience I would wager that he will fit into a good sport horse niche. I know Laura Chapot also has a nice filly by him who's 4. And she is very high on them.

I have seen a few others and I am "stalking" about 8 of them running in the nearby area.

Don't get me wrong it isn't just the sire, but I am loving a lot of the old MD bred mares that went to him. Mostly due to Dr. Bowman, but there were some other lovely ones who were serviced by him.

Mine is very fortunate to have an old line dam side that I am thrilled with who ties the Slew influence with an inbreeding to Secretariat.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries