The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Hey Canterhaven...

saw this on my craigslist today.... Love the My Babu line and it is crossed on a barrel/race line like you wanted, and she's cuuuute. ;-)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/3546671134.html
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    Hey Canterhaven...

saw this on my craigslist today.... Love the My Babu line and it is crossed on a barrel/race line like you wanted, and she's cuuuute. ;-)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/3546671134.html
    Thanks! I did try the link but craigslist says that this ad has been flagged for removal. Or my computer is just being grumpy.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

you have a PM :-)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

PM'd you

Have you contacted the Utah Quarter Horse Racing Association & Utah Quarter Horse Association? They are two separate organizations with websites. Some states will also have horsemens groups as well. You might want to see if there is a Utah QH.Horse's Association.
    Any of the groups should be able to direct you to members in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I received a 4H project foal from my parents as a kid (great parents, not so great horse people). She has Impressive on one side and Conclusive on the other (so basically she's double bred Impressive), and luckily is N/N. They never got the registration transferred because they got her from a private seller who didn't know much about registration either. It wasn't until this year that I've decided to sell her. Now I'm just going to call the lady they bought her from and have her sign the papers. Then I'll keep them till someone buys, just so that they can transfer her straight away. She's broke, but not western horse broke. Impressive horses are known for looking pretty, but being a PAIN to ride. They aren't the brightest, and aren't built for riding (which is really sad). It has been very difficult to sell my mare. I'm almost at the point of taking her to an auction. She's SUPER pretty, so I'm sure she'd get snatched up, but I've never heard great things about auctions.

Anyways, since you're looking at racing QHs you shouldn't run into any Impressive bloodlines. Just beware if you do...they do NOT make great riding horses.
    We've owned a lot of Impressive bred horses and you can't paint them all with the same brush. My (Impressive bred HYPP N/N) mare is extremely smart and extremely fun to ride. Her daughter, who I am also riding (double bred Impressive) is also fun to ride- a bit reactive but that is more to do with her upbringing/initial training IMO than her pedigree.
    I'd buy a N/N horse any day for riding. The only way I can see your blanket-statement holding truth (not great riding horses) is for the horses that are built like Kid Clu, (and the vast majority of Impressive-bred horses I've come across don't look like that).
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sock View Post
    We've owned a lot of Impressive bred horses and you can't paint them all with the same brush. My (Impressive bred HYPP N/N) mare is extremely smart and extremely fun to ride. Her daughter, who I am also riding (double bred Impressive) is also fun to ride- a bit reactive but that is more to do with her upbringing/initial training IMO than her pedigree.
    I'd buy a N/N horse any day for riding. The only way I can see your blanket-statement holding truth (not great riding horses) is for the horses that are built like Kid Clu, (and the vast majority of Impressive-bred horses I've come across don't look like that).
    I have a double-bred Impressive gelding, and he's the love of my life! Great riding horse, never argues, tries hard, does anything I ask of him. Sounds just like your horse, in fact. Both of his parents were N/H, and by some miracle, he's N/N (tested twice just to be sure!).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Its $55 to transfer ownership if you are not an AQHA member. And if you have no intentions of being involved with the AQHA, yes $55 is something some people would much rather spend on something else.

Just pointing out where a lot of people that own Quarter Horses are coming from and why there are grade Quarter Horses.
    THIS. My QH was registered, he was then sold at auction, ended up as a camp horse, then at a lesson barn. His papers did not survive the trip. I contacted AQHA when I first got him 11 years ago, I know his registered name, and who originally bred him, but frankly...I can't be bothered to do the paperwork shuffle and write the check. I don't show in breed shows, and it's a hassle for something I just don't care about, not to mention a waste of $$.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I thought the OP wanted to find a registered QH, not debate why people choose to not register.

The fact is, an unregistered horse is a grade horse.

We own two registered QHs, both foundation and an unregistered spotted saddlebred (grade horse with some flash). All are great horses.

If the OP wants to purchase a registered horse, to compete in breed shows, great. There are plenty of good registered horses out there. Many at more affordable prices then years past.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Its $55 to transfer ownership if you are not an AQHA member. And if you have no intentions of being involved with the AQHA, yes $55 is something some people would much rather spend on something else.

Just pointing out where a lot of people that own Quarter Horses are coming from and why there are grade Quarter Horses.
    Amen. When we purchased my registered QH we knew I wouldn't be getting into any QH activities, and considering the horse was already nearly 14 at the time and we planned on having him for life it didn't seem like an issue. Sure enough, he never had another owner after me. I can completely see why people don't pay the $55 fee, like horses aren't expensive enough already.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

7HL, I think the issue is that a significant number of the registered horses that OP is finding out there aren't actually currently registered. Somewhere down the line an owner decided not to pay the transfer fee and there you have it.
    OP wants a horse she can register in her name without searching high and low for the last recorded owner, the one that needed to sign off, and I'm sure she doesn't want to have to pay for a copy of the papers that are probably lost too.

ASHA lets you show a registered horse without a current registration in your name, in fact as a member you can download a facsimile copy , all you need to know is your horse's registered name, but evidently not so with the AQHA. Mind you, ASHA membership runs around $70 so there's no free lunch anywhere.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    7HL, I think the issue is that a significant number of the registered horses that OP is finding out there aren't actually currently registered. Somewhere down the line an owner decided not to pay the transfer fee and there you have it.
    OP wants a horse she can register in her name without searching high and low for the last recorded owner, the one that needed to sign off, and I'm sure she doesn't want to have to pay for a copy of the papers that are probably lost too.
    Yes, this! As another person posted, I think registries are important due to the information they provide, history of the horse and history of ownership. I have the jockey club papers for my TBs. I have heard that owners withhold those sometimes so that the horse cannot be raced again, but I had no problem getting those passed onto me. Just came with the horse. Granted, no fee though like with the AQHA. The Transfer form seems to be main hiccup with QHs.

I have slowed down on my search in that I did learn that at many of the AQHA and APHA local shows, there are quite a few Open or all breed classes. Thus I can ride one of my OTTBs. Plus we are in a dressage clinic this weekend so I have gone a whole 3 days without looking at the 'horse for sale ads'. Too busy getting ready and riding my TB.

The Pleasure Horse Journal Online forum has lots of horses advertised. If you don't see something you are interested in post what you are looking for and in what area and you will get a good response back. People there are always helpful and it is mostly QH/Paint people.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...g%2B%253E%253E

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    Anyways, since you're looking at racing QHs you shouldn't run into any Impressive bloodlines. Just beware if you do...they do NOT make great riding horses.
    This is a very biased and unfair statement. I have a Impressive bred [I did not breed] That has very true gaits and is comfortable to ride, also was a can/will do work ethic.
    Showing 3rd level Dressage, Prelim Eventing, Pleasure drives & will trail ride all day long.
    Even though for the good of AQHA HYPP should be bred out, NOT ALL halter horses are bad rides.

2 members found this post helpful.

You are aware of the genetic syndrome HYPP? That's one reason otherwise registerable QH are sold as grade, not because of transfer forms.
    That isn't a problem in the racing quarter horse lines is it? I thought that comes from the halter types? Big difference in body types between the two, or at least there used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    That isn't a problem in the racing quarter horse lines is it? I thought that comes from the halter types? Big difference in body types between the two, or at least there used to be.
    The Halter people embraced it (for producing heifer type horses...)

However, I suppose when you do buy papered stock you can look it up, grade ponies might be tricky.
    'Impressive' bred does not mean spectacular horse but the Sire Impressive falls out of the branches when the tree is shaken.

But yeah, the modern QH is like 3 different breeds under the same heading....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

There are plenty of registered QHs out there. Looking at Craigs list is not where necessarily find one. To me it sounds like the OP is looking for a cheap horse that is said to be a QH. The transfer fee and registration isn't that expensive and it doesn't take that much effort. Not registered = grade horse. Come up with whatever excuse people want, call the horse whatever you want, buying an un registered horse is buying a grade horse.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    There are plenty of registered QHs out there. Looking at Craigs list is not where necessarily find one. To me it sounds like the OP is looking for a cheap horse that is said to be a QH. The transfer fee and registration isn't that expensive and it doesn't take that much effort. Not registered = grade horse. Come up with whatever excuse people want, call the horse whatever you want, buying an un registered horse is buying a grade horse.
    And for open shows, trail riding, barrel racing, rodeos, roping, ranch work, etc. a horse does not need to be registered anything. There are some very expensive roping and barrel horses out there that have never seen a registration paper. The only value in AQHA papers is if you want to participate in AQHA events. If that is your deal by all means look at registered horses, but I find it a little funny that the COTH crowd can't seem to wrap their mind around the fact that registration papers mean poop squat to a lot of people.

And for open shows, trail riding, barrel racing, rodeos, roping, ranch work, etc. a horse does not need to be registered anything. There are some very expensive roping and barrel horses out there that have never seen a registration paper. The only value in AQHA papers is if you want to participate in AQHA events. If that is your deal by all means look at registered horses, but I find it a little funny that the COTH crowd can't seem to wrap their mind around the fact that registration papers mean poop squat to a lot of people.
    There are also some that know squat of breeding and lines and how to read registration certificates to see what all went into making that horse, so they dismiss all that offhand, forgetting that all those many nice grade horses had some very carefully bred horses behind them, helping them be such nice horses, even as grade horses themselves.

We would not have the nice horses we have today if all horses were random bred grade horse.
    You need to understand that we bred horses for a purpose and registering them helps us do so.

Guess that some just think horses materialize out of thin air with the required characteristics to be good at what we need them to be good for?

We bred horses for decades and it was serious business, took much learning about what crossed, what not so well and how to get those horses out there that were the best we could raise.

Seems hard to believe that some don't understand where our horses come from and can dismiss so cavalierly the centuries of breeding behind them as irrelevant.