The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Difficulties in finding a registered Quarter horse. Is this normal?

I have decided to purchase a Quarter Horse. I have 2 OTTBs which I adore but unless I keep on eventing or jumping, few shows to go to with them in this area. I will still keep riding dressage with my boys but since I actually like to go to shows and since my friends go to AQHA shows, I thought that a QH may be a good addition to the horse family. If I could find one that raced, even better since I like to give racers a second career.
    Wow, it has been quite a challenge. I thought it would be easier. The main problem is that all the QH I have checked out, 12 so far, are nice horses but their papers are not in order. All were still in the original owners name and the next owner, 3rd owner, etc. never sent in the Transfer of ownership form. I have even searched for original owners, found a few, asked if they would be willing to do the transfer, and have been put on ignore.
    According to AQHA, unless the horse is in my name, cannot show in AQHA shows, at least that is how I read the rules. If different, I am all ears! I would show in the Amateur division. I am baffled that so many people would not get transfers done in their names. And according to the AQHA, it is the SELLER that is supposed to be sending in the Transfer form.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am assuming this is somewhat common and have you found any solutions to getting paperwork fixed with the AQHA if transfers from previous owners not sent in?

There are also many QH that are 'Grade' or unregistered yet the owner knows the horses breeding so assuming that these QH are unregistered due to the Transfer form, or lack there of.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I have looked on Dreamhorse, wikihorse and local listings. Any suggestions for good sites that have legally registered QHs here in the Western US? Im not looking for a made western pleasure QH, rather just want to do some english and go for dressage points. Not looking to win big, I know the QH scene is competitive. Just like going to shows with friends and some having some more showing options. Even some trail riding. A nice QH to balance out my Storm Cat OTTB geldings, would be good!

Quote Originally Posted by canterhavenfarm View Post
    I have decided to purchase a Quarter Horse. I have 2 OTTBs which I adore but unless I keep on eventing or jumping, few shows to go to with them in this area. I will still keep riding dressage with my boys but since I actually like to go to shows and since my friends go to AQHA shows, I thought that a QH may be a good addition to the horse family. If I could find one that raced, even better since I like to give racers a second career.
    Wow, it has been quite a challenge. I thought it would be easier. The main problem is that all the QH I have checked out, 12 so far, are nice horses but their papers are not in order. All were still in the original owners name and the next owner, 3rd owner, etc. never sent in the Transfer of ownership form. I have even searched for original owners, found a few, asked if they would be willing to do the transfer, and have been put on ignore.
    According to AQHA, unless the horse is in my name, cannot show in AQHA shows, at least that is how I read the rules. If different, I am all ears! I would show in the Amateur division. I am baffled that so many people would not get transfers done in their names. And according to the AQHA, it is the SELLER that is supposed to be sending in the Transfer form.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am assuming this is somewhat common and have you found any solutions to getting paperwork fixed with the AQHA if transfers from previous owners not sent in?

There are also many QH that are 'Grade' or unregistered yet the owner knows the horses breeding so assuming that these QH are unregistered due to the Transfer form, or lack there of.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I have looked on Dreamhorse, wikihorse and local listings. Any suggestions for good sites that have legally registered QHs here in the Western US? Im not looking for a made western pleasure QH, rather just want to do some english and go for dressage points. Not looking to win big, I know the QH scene is competitive. Just like going to shows with friends and some having some more showing options. Even some trail riding. A nice QH to balance out my Storm Cat OTTB geldings, would be good!
    Try LOPE in Texas. They started out as a CANTER chapter but have moved on to include QH ex racers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You are aware of the genetic syndrome HYPP? That's one reason otherwise registerable QH are sold as grade, not because of transfer forms.

Try the keywords Appendix to get a QH with racing bloodlines. I'm not sure you'd want a made English QH - the Hunter Under Saddle, look at youtube for examples.

Alagirls suggestion is good.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

HYPP is carried by ONE line of QH's and if they are registered... THEY ARE TESTED. I had an Impressive mare and she was registered and tested as soon as HYPP became a thing. It is not something that ALL QH's can get, it is carried in one bloodline. The chances of a horse having HYPP are also very low, but it is carried in the Impressive lines so it is TESTED for upon registering. If an Impressive bloodline ISN'T tested for its probably becasue they are older and that wasn't a big deal when it was younger.

I know a lot of QH people and well horse people in general don't transfer papers because they don't show in breed shows. It is something that slips their mind. I JUST got my QH transfered into my name, and they original transfer papers were signed by his breeder. He had been through five owners before me and was sold as a YEARLING STALLION, he is 11 now!!! I would say breeders are your best bet. If they are racing or OTQH they are registered! Try a OTQH breeder/trainer around your area? Maybe they have something that isn't going right or is a teaser pony.. or they know someone!

Also, on your online search mark 'REGISTERED' as advanced option!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! Just got on the LOPE site. There are a few!
    I have heard about HYPP but until you mentioned it, never thought that would be why not registered. Good info.

Doesn't the AQHA website have classifieds? I'd try there as one would "assume" that if they're on the AQHA site, they'd be AQHA horses! If nothing else, the website should have a calendar of shows. You might go to some shows and check the boards there and talk to people whose horses you like.

The QH market took a HUGE hit with the economy and has not recovered. In Texas/OK there are literally 1000's of horses for nothing or next to nothing.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

If an earlier owner who sold the horse signed off the transfer papers, isn't that all you need? Can you put it into your name from there, skipping the owners in the middle?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

2 members found this post helpful.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    Doesn't the AQHA website have classifieds? I'd try there as one would "assume" that if they're on the AQHA site, they'd be AQHA horses! If nothing else, the website should have a calendar of shows. You might go to some shows and check the boards there and talk to people whose horses you like.

The QH market took a HUGE hit with the economy and has not recovered. In Texas/OK there are literally 1000's of horses for nothing or next to nothing.
    They do but it takes you to equine.com I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    If an earlier owner who sold the horse signed off the transfer papers, isn't that all you need? Can you put it into your name from there, skipping the owners in the middle?
    That is what I did with my gelding! Even though the transfer papers were 10 years old, they transfered to me without a problem!

Happy QH hunting!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Yep, you can do this. My horse has the transfer papers from his third owner....I'm his eighth. There won't be an issue transferring him into my name (I've called and checked) I just haven't bothered to do it because I'm not interested in breed shows, and it's not like he's not who the papers say he is just because my name isn't typed on them...

Here is an OTQH in the CANTER Colorado listings. They seem to have a few QH in the mix.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=397

There is a really nice one at Camelot auction right now, see https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...7387049&type=3
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

If you want to do the auction route, there is a HUGE racing QH auction in Oklahoma called Heritage Place. My ex's family got their barrel racers from there and had a lot of lovely horses.

yes, I heard that if there is a transfer form filled out by the person last listed on the registration, that works. So far I have yet to find owners who even have that. They have the AQHA papers but no transfer form from the the last listed owner. I must say that I do like my AQHA membership and the ability to check out a horses official ownership, performance, etc. Very handy.

Thanks for the links and names of the auctions. I would do the auction route if I had an idea horses going to be there. I am in Utah so out of state auctions can be a challenge. I think some auctions post in advance but then there is the purchasing without meeting the horse and getting an idea of personality ( Which I have done, Got my OTTB right off the track from a photo only. Drove to CA the day after he was listed. )

I wonder if the CANTER CO site is current? The QHs there were last updated in september. There are 2 that are of intereste but may be in New Mexico now.

We do our best to update the CANTER Colorado site as horses sell. Our season here ends mid August, so trainers leave for other states. Robert Rivera went for New Mexico a few weeks before Arapahoe went dark. Trainers generally reach out to us as horses get sold, but sometimes not.

We do try our best! If you find a horse on our site had sold, please let us know and we will remove it.

Why not contact AQHA trainers that show in the classes you want to show in?
    They generally know what is available and suitable for what you want to do.
    Go to some shows and talk to them.

If you will do an auction, Professional Auction Services [Tim & Steve Jennings] are now doing online catalog sales. Consigning horses across the country, you can look @ just the ones close to you.
    This one currently;
    Heck Yea! Quarter Horses LLC Dispersal
    www.ProHorseServices.com
    Complete Dispersal ONLINE
    Bidding Opens Friday, January 25
    Bidding Closes Tuesday, January 29

A lot of people who own Quarter Horses don't show at AQHA shows (show at unrated shows, discipline shows such as NCHA or NRHA or just trail ride) so having the horse's papers in their names has no reason and is an additional expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    A lot of people who own Quarter Horses don't show at AQHA shows (show at unrated shows, discipline shows such as NCHA or NRHA or just trail ride) so having the horse's papers in their names has no reason and is an additional expense.
    So they are saving $15 dollars and on how many horses, a couple or three?
    Then they lose the papers or transfer and want to sell the horse and can't get a duplicate copy of the papers because they never did transfer him in their name.
    I just went thru six months of this kind of trouble last yearwith someone that lied about the status of the paperwork on a horse he was selling.

I think it is good management, unless you are reselling the horse right away, to go ahead and clear the paperwork, so he is in your name as owner of record.

3 members found this post helpful.

I CANNOT stand this! The people who are too lazy or cheap to keep a registered animals papers up to date ruin it for the people who come along and buy the horse and then want the horse in their name. And then they get screwed because either they can't or it costs them way more than it should have if everyone had done their part.

4 members found this post helpful.

Its $55 to transfer ownership if you are not an AQHA member. And if you have no intentions of being involved with the AQHA, yes $55 is something some people would much rather spend on something else.

Just pointing out where a lot of people that own Quarter Horses are coming from and why there are grade Quarter Horses.

2 members found this post helpful.