The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a good adult intensive riding camp

Hello,

Like the title of the thread says, I am looking for recommendations for Hunter/jumper clinics designed as intensive, camp for adults. I'm hoping to find something where I ride for seveal hours a day and receive progressive, quality instructing.

I have a full time trainer and my own horse so I'm always learning and taking lessons, but these things need to fit into my everyday life. I would like to find something where I don't worry about anything other than riding for about a week. I'm just starting to show regularly in the hunter ring and will be showing in the 2'6" to 3 ft this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Sorry I should have specified location ... East Coast
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Check out the companies that offer horseback riding vacations and tours. In addition to the standard trailriding trips, most of them have at least a few intensive one-week riding school-type offerings in different places.

I can't think of the names of any of the companies right off-hand (I've got some bookmarked but on a different computer), but if you google "horseback riding vacations" or "equestrian vacations" or something like that, some should come up.

Thumbs up

sammicat -- if you find one, please post it here. I've been thinkng about the same thing!

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile. Before I had my own horse, I pretty much did this by going to a reputable trainer in a nice vacation spot, and lessoning multiple days in a row.

I think a "pre-packaged" version of this for an adult H/J rider could be really exciting... Trip to Ireland with arena and XC rides??!! if you stay at a B&B or somewhere else inexpensive, you may actually not pay much more than you would in the U.S.

Obviously you'll want to make sure the level of instruction and horses are appropriate for you. Some horsey vacations tend to be walk, walk, more walk, maybe a little trot, or so I imagine.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

What about this place?

http://www.vershireridingschool.com/...adult-camp.htm

I found it online; I know it isn't specifically for Hunter/Jumper but t looks as though it is well organized and would be fun!

Default I am so glad you posted this!

I went to a dude ranch in Texas last year and I LOVED feeling like I was 12 and at camp again, it was so much fun . I have been thinking that I would like to duplicate the camp feeling, but with more intensive, less-vacationey riding. I hadn't really found anything that looked like it would suit, but the Vershire Riding School looks really great! I am going to investigate a bit further.

The link didn't work for me so I am reposting it http://vershireridingschool.com/Ridi...adult-camp.htm

That Vershire camp is going to be my 40th b-day present to myself in 2016!!

Sweet Briar College has an awesome clinic series. Great instructors, great horses, great facility. There should be information on their web site.

Denny Emerson has an adult camp. It's focused on eventers, but it certainly looks like fun and you'd come home with skills that anyone could use.
    Hunters' Rest in VA (www.huntersrest.net) sometimes does an adult camp thing. email her to find out if she's doing one this summer.

I'm on my other computer today. Here is one that seems to be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.hiddentrails.com/pub/tour...e=RidingClinic

I have been trying to talk DH and my BIL into bringing in a clinician for a one week adult camp, but so far no luck because they would just rather stick to the regular dude ranch business. If we ever do get it up and running, I will definitely post something on COTH!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is what I'd do if I had the money to go to England.
    http://yrc.co.uk/

It's connected with the Bartles--Chris and Jane. They need no introduction.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default Try Cedar Crest in Upstate NY

Here's the website:

http://www.equestcenter.com/approach/staff

Had an awesome time. Beautiful location. Excellent instruction. Paul was great!! Learned more in 4 days than in 4 years! Horses knew their jobs; tack was quality; staff was friendly and competent.

Good luck!
    Anderson Equine. Quality TB prospects at realistic prices. www.tbhorsenut.com

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Hello,
    Like the title of the thread says, I am looking for recommendations for Hunter/jumper clinics designed as intensive, camp for adults. I'm hoping to find something where I ride for seveal hours a day and receive progressive, quality instructing.
    how many hours a day are you riding now?
    you won't want to go from riding just one horse a day to riding 5 a day, without some fitting up

I went on a ride in Ireland back in 2002 and it was the most amazing experience. Best way ever to see the terrain. Pubs for lunch everyday and a different B&B every night. Used to be called cross country international but now equestrianvacations.com. I still have one of the south of France trips on my bucket list. They are grueling though if you aren't used to being in the saddle all day. My ITB really bothered me.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    how many hours a day are you riding now?
    you won't want to go from riding just one horse a day to riding 5 a day, without some fitting up
    What she said! After several years of putting my job and farm first, I decided to come to Ocala for the season and focus on improving my riding. Brought a horse down, plus leased another and have tried sale, so my riding time has gone from an hour or so about 4x a week to 2-3 hours every day.
    Needless to say, I am a little bit sore and tired, to the point where I just need a day off and very happy it's Monday.

That being said I would love to see more adult focused clinics. I bunderstand the need to focus on juniors who are the next generation of pros but I think there are alot of adults out there who are very.committed to improving their riding and goal-oriented. I am never going to do the Grand Prix, but I would eventually like to safely and confidently do the 3'3 hunters and maybe 1.10. I am lucky to have a trainer that I know can help me meet my goals, but not everyone has access to great instruction.

1 members found this post helpful.

Here's a question, would those of you who would like an "adult week" be willing to sleep in a bunk room type situation?

Hi - Where did you finally decide to go?
    I too found The Vershire Riding School via a web search and just sent them a request for more information.
    I'd be interested in knowing where you went and how you liked it.

I would love to say I went somewhere, but I broke my pelvis three months ago and have just now stated riding again . I'd anyone did go somewhere I would LOVE to hear how it went.