The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Farrier recommendations Berks County, Pa

I'm looking for an excellent/top of the line farrier who serves the berks county area...Bernville in particular...outside of Reading...I currently use Tim Phillips who does great work-but it is becoming impossible getting him out to my farm...my horses always end up going 2-3wks past there scheduled dates..and it's just getting out of hand...

I have 4 in full sets of shoes...one just gets leather pads with steel, and the 3 others are in wide web aluminums up front/regular no special needs...I do the hunters
    My 3 others are trims plus two mini dOnkeys

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated...I currently pay between $125-145 for 4 new, trims are $45

Thanks in advance...has anybody used Juan Vidal or Buddy DeLong...those are familiar names I've heard?!?

I saw your thread title and was going to recommend Tim since that is who I use and my trainer uses. (I don't board at my trainers though)

Some of the other boarders in my barn use John Howard and like him. I used John Howard when I was at this barn before but prefer Tim.

Josh Wright is supposed to be good. I don't recognize either of the other names you mentioned.

It is a shame you are having scheduling issues. I think Tim does a good job yet is pretty inexpensive. Will he schedule your next appointment while he is there for the current one?

My BO schedules for me since there are 2 other boarders that use him. I Finnegan is on the same schedule as the other two horses.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

We do schedule when he's there for our next shoeing but he NEVER comes on the date we set...in fact ...;most of the time lately he doesn't even show up or sometimes call to let me know he can't make it...I practically have to chase him down...call/text sometimes multiple times and don't hear back from him for several days to even a week later....my 4 in shoes are now at 7wks(scheduled for 6 wks)my 2 mares are over 8wks,and my yearling and mini donkeys haven't been trimmed in over 12wks bc of him never coming to our scheduled spots...everybody is past due and on different schedules bc he doesn't have time to get all mine done...and my poor mares, yearling and donkeys have been getting pushed off and he says he'll do them next time...it's just a vicious cycle

It's tough and frustrating bc I've been using Tim for 7years...but it's just getting out of hand...he also has been trimming them too short lately...I think he's taking off more than usual bc he knows he never gets back to my place in time

Justin Quaintance is the farrier at the barn where I board (in Berks). I, personally, believe that he does a great job. My current horse only recently began being shod but he was excellent at shoeing my previous horse who had many soundness/hoof issues.

I use Ralph Ferrell and have been very happy with his work. He is very personable and cares about the horses. He lives in Hatfield and covers Montgomery, Bucks, Berks and probably other counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    I've been using Tim for 7years...but it's just getting out of hand...he also has been trimming them too short lately...I think he's taking off more than usual bc he knows he never gets back to my place in time
    I opened this thread and was going to recommend Tim too, but then saw that he was the one you have been having issues with his schedule. That's too bad! He's my farrier for about 10 years now, and I have had him reschedule very few times, usually he comes right on time at his scheduled time. But I live much closer to him and I always have 1st thing in the AM appoints on Saturday AM (but usually all trims, about 7 of them).

I tried JV once, would never use him again (didn't like the shoe job). There is also a Jim Kindred that I tried a long time ago, he was okay, but not my favorite.

Jay Flynn and / or his assistant Mark Catren hands down. Reliable, professional and their work is outstanding. Their prices are a bit higher than Tim's but you get more than what you pay for.

I have am a professional with a barn of 20+ show horses and have been using Jay for 11+ yrs.

Jay& Mark religiously care for and promptly tend to the needs of my barefoot young hunter yearlings as much as Kevin Babington's grand prix horses, whom they also shoe
    * Magic Hill Farm, LLC
    www.MagicHillFarmLLC.com
    "Bridging the Gap Between the Hunter Breeding and Performance Rings in the US"

Default berks farrier

William matteson farrier service. Wmfarrierservice@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMR-AK View Post
    Justin Quaintance is the farrier at the barn where I board (in Berks). I, personally, believe that he does a great job. My current horse only recently began being shod but he was excellent at shoeing my previous horse who had many soundness/hoof issues.
    A friend of mine has been very happy with Justin.

I've used Jay but am actually thinking of switching because he reschedules our barn frequently. His assistant , Mark, is doing some barns on his own now so he might be worth contacting. He does a nice job too.

Jim Kindred of Kempton. I worked for him one fall/winter and have been struggling to find a farrier that good anywhere else. I don't recall ever getting called back for a lost shoe. He did a big show barn of saddlebreds in addition to hunters, dressage horses, carriage horse, trail horses some TWHs and a handful of western pleasure horses. I don't know if he is taking new clients, I haven't been in contact for almost a decade and he had a full schedule then. You won't find better.

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    I'm looking for an excellent/top of the line farrier who serves the berks county area...Bernville in particular...outside of Reading...I currently use Tim Phillips who does great work-but it is becoming impossible getting him out to my farm...my horses always end up going 2-3wks past there scheduled dates..and it's just getting out of hand...

I have 4 in full sets of shoes...one just gets leather pads with steel, and the 3 others are in wide web aluminums up front/regular no special needs...I do the hunters
    My 3 others are trims plus two mini dOnkeys

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated...I currently pay between $125-145 for 4 new, trims are $45

Thanks in advance...has anybody used Juan Vidal or Buddy DeLong...those are familiar names I've heard?!?

My farrier is retiring in December- he has referred us to Rick Hoffa in the Bernville/Shartlesville area. I like Tim Phillips too but he is difficult to get. Buddy Delong is also diffixcult to schedule unless you have a large barn.

Tim Phillips and Justin Quaintance I have used for my OTTB and TB colt. Both were great ferriers.
    Erica JD, Proud owner of Shatzi and "_____"