The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is there such a thing??

As dry shampoo to clean a mud-loving horse's tail in the winter? i can't brush it, or even separate my horse's tail with my fingers anymore because its so dirty, but its too cold to wash it so what to do???

COTH knows everything so I figured someone could help me out..

I would not hesitate to wash a tail in any temperature! Bring out a few buckets of warm water, and wash it that way. (Helps if you have someone to hold the bucket, while a second person scrubs away at the tail.)

Then bag the tail in an old sock or something, after squeezing it out, to keep it away from the butt until dry.

I've washed tails, at least the lower half, same as the above poster. Now the rest of the horse - I can't tell you, but I've been thinking about getting that little Dirt Devil hand vac http://dirtdevil.com/products/detail...ltra-hand-vac/
    instead of a horse vacuum - another Cother posted a photo of her filthy grey horse with his clean patch, courtesy of the vac.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I would not hesitate to wash a tail in any temperature! Bring out a few buckets of warm water, and wash it that way. (Helps if you have someone to hold the bucket, while a second person scrubs away at the tail.)

Then bag the tail in an old sock or something, after squeezing it out, to keep it away from the butt until dry.
    I am less worried about him getting cold, I just figured it would take forever to dry, and by that time he will have rolled back in the mud. I would have to have a huge sock, he has a huge tail for a TB, how would you get it in the sock and keep the sock on??

Three buckets full of warm water, a little soap, 4-5 old towels, and a hairdryer. Dunk the tail in a soapy bucket, then rinse in the other two buckets, towel dry, douse with Show Sheen, then blow dry, pick, and brush. You will have a clean tail until the horse goes back outside! I bang 'em short in the winter and ignore tails until April.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.