The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

You live in Pennsylvania, OP. It's an SSS state. I think if you don't have any recourse for menacing dogs you need to take care of your animals. I'd give the dog warden a call first, just to have some kind of precedent.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    While I am a dog owner, chicken owner, and gun owner, I cannot support the decision to kill a dog over a chicken. I would however, encourage you to report the dog and go after the owner for the replacement cost of your rooster, and damages.
    I do understand the concern that if it is a chicken this time, then what will it get next time. I wish you luck, but if someone shot my dog, God help them. (That being said I know where my dog is at all times).
    Well, unfortunately for you, in many areas - ours is one of them - its completely legal to shoot & kill any dog that is harming livestock. Period.

So do continue to "know" where your dog is at all times, & check your local laws before you go out on a "God help them" rampage should your dog escape, do some damage, & meet an untimely end.

16 members found this post helpful.

Sorry to say, but the SSS method will probably be the way you will have to go with these dogs. You've contacted the "neighbors", who have ADMITTED they have had MANY complaints...guess what? You can't fix stupid.

We had this problem for 3+ YEARS with a large GSD and PB, they were on the property loose several times, which escalated to chasing calves, and trying to attack my horses IN THEIR BARN....AC had CAUGHT these dogs 14 times over three years, owner kept getting fined.

Dogs escalated to chasing one man and his small dog into their home, and they also did the same thing to me one night.

FINALLY the town seized the dogs, they were held for over 3 months, until the court case was over. I missed three days of work, thank goodness for a good boss. Owner got a hefty fine, and was court ordered to build a TOTALLY enclosed wire kennel, which had to be inspected by town/AC.

He mentioned to AC, he'd still "like his dogs to be free"...In the meantime, both hubby and I got carry permits, some nice handguns, and we were sure to practice so the wind was right, and "neighbor" could hear us blasting at targets. We also told "neighbor" to his face the dogs would be shot if they stepped foot on the property. Haven't seen them since.

And yes, I will shoot them if they ever come here again

Dogs get more bold and aggressive when running together, when excited, and when they have killed. To all of you "Oh, don't shoot the dog" folks, OP is talking about a ROTWEILER (or two?) here. What happens if some child is in their own yard and gets frightened, is chased, falls...And the dogs go after her? It is NOT fun when 150+ lbs. of dog(s) are attacking animals, and it CAN lead to a human mauling...The dogs in my case were headed there-so do you wait for more killing?

Good luck, OP. I feel for you.

12 members found this post helpful.

SSS. The dog clearly isn't going to stop and the neighbors aren't going to prevent him from coming back, so I don't really see any other option WHEN it does happen again. So sorry you are dealing with this!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    We have contacted the owners in the past who begged for us to not contact authorities and promised they would leash their dogs. This was a year ago so we have not had issues in a year. The last time we had an issue we thought we had resolved it with a call to th owners.

But now this time she openly admitted that she isn't leasing her dogs or fencing them in or tying them. Which is why I'm taking these measures now.

This happened literally 3 hours ago. I'm contacting animal control in the morning. I've also kept the dead birds. Two of which we had to shoot after the fact. They didn't have any exterior injuries aside from two small punctures but they were both bleeding heavily from the beak.
    Those people are despicable. It is too bad their dogs will have to pay the ultimate price but in the end they are just dogs and nothing to you.

I prefer the shoot them with a paintball gun technique. That way the owners know just how lucky it wasn't a bullet that hit them. Wises them up pretty fast without harming the dog.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    These are not dogs you can catch....we have tried before...what will it be next time? My mini horse? God help these owners if that happens.

And in regards to the comment about killing a dog over a chicken....who's to say the dog is a more important animal than my chicken?

It's illegal to let your dogs run all over the country side killing whatever it sees. I have a duty to MY animals to protect them....the owner of the dogs has the duty to keep their dogs contained and consequently from harm.
    Um, did you even read my post? I said if a dog were to be threatening your animals, shoot it. I never said once that the dog is more important than your chickens. I was simply saying that if I could I would try to deal with the dog in a non fatal way IF IT WAS POSSIBLE, b/c I don't like an animal paying for it's owner's mistake, however AS I SAID if the dog were threatening my(your) animals then injury/fatal methods would be taken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    look up your state laws regarding nuisance dogs and lifestock...

then take target practice.

And do send them the bill for the damages the dog cause, replacement value of the birds etc....

and then be prepared to be called a meany:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bor-shoots-dog
    THIS. And then consider putting up a suitable enclosed situation b/c really there is only so much you can do if marauders come through with a taste for chicken. We fenced our chicken "paddock" on the outside of the fencing with 2 strands of hot wire that is kept HOT. And after we lost our first flock, I typed up a very cordial letter that left no questions about what would happen to the next dog(s) we found on our property.

Killing a dog that is destroying livestock IS acceptable. Sadly is it acceptable. We are animal lovers but I'm not going to try and catch a dog killing my chickens...I'm going to stop it as fast as I can and in the frenzy of the slaughter, the dog ain't likely to stop and "come, sit, stay"

OP - SO SORRY you had this happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Um, did you even read my post? I said if a dog were to be threatening your animals, shoot it. I never said once that the dog is more important than your chickens. I was simply saying that if I could I would try to deal with the dog in a non fatal way IF IT WAS POSSIBLE, b/c I don't like an animal paying for it's owner's mistake, however AS I SAID if the dog were threatening my(your) animals then injury/fatal methods would be taken.
    I'm sorry if my last post came across snarky. I actually meant the second part in Katie9532's direction as she insinuated someone's dog was a more important life than someone's chickens.

Didn't mean to be cranky, just flustered and didn't quote both of you, thus the confusion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    THIS. And then consider putting up a suitable enclosed situation b/c really there is only so much you can do if marauders come through with a taste for chicken. We fenced our chicken "paddock" on the outside of the fencing with 2 strands of hot wire that is kept HOT. And after we lost our first flock, I typed up a very cordial letter that left no questions about what would happen to the next dog(s) we found on our property.

Killing a dog that is destroying livestock IS acceptable. Sadly is it acceptable. We are animal lovers but I'm not going to try and catch a dog killing my chickens...I'm going to stop it as fast as I can and in the frenzy of the slaughter, the dog ain't likely to stop and "come, sit, stay"

OP - SO SORRY you had this happen to you.
    We have chickens as well as turkeys, guineas, and peacocks. Everything free ranges except for the peacocks as they will take off and never come back if spooked.

We have always free ranged our birds. We live on a quiet dirt road with one next door neighbor however they don't wander more than 25 feet from the house. We lock them in at night as it makes them miserable to even be in their run. I think it's so sad that is have to consider penning them up all the time just because people can't keep a handle on their dogs.

Somebody else's dog means jack shit to me compared to one of my chickens. Nobody else cares as much about pookie precious dog as PPD does to the owner. And if the owner really cared they would keep PPD freaking home.

Shoot the dang dogs and be done with it. They're coyotes at this point.

10 members found this post helpful.

I am a huge dog lover, and feel for dogs with idiot owners. How hard is it to get off your ass and walk your dogs on a leash, vs letting them "roam free"? Great, your dog gets to run free and terrorize people/livestock and risk its life with cars/angry neighbors/back end of an angry mare. But I would turn owners in to AC, and since you can't take the dogs to the pound, I'd shoot. I would have a very hard time doing it, but I bet I'd be angry enough to do it.

If it comes to that, console yourself with the fact that you spared your animals a crappy death, and possibly the dogs. Eventually someone else will shoot or poison them, or they will be hit by a car, caught in a trap, etc. I would not shoot an animal that wandered onto my property once, but these dogs have a history of doing damage. I might, depending on the owners, tell them in no uncertain terms that if the dogs are on the property again, it will be the last.

Why do stupid people feel the need to own animals?

I think you allow animal control to take care of the problem. Why? because shooting a dog is not a human way to kill it, unless you are very good with a rifle or hand gun, and I do not think you will like the howling, staggering pain and suffering you cause.

Secondly, those are your neighbors, and regardless of your rights, if you shoot their dogs, you will find the neighborhood will not think kindly of you. Do you plan to continue to live in that neighborhood. Do you want to be known as the person who kills some ones pets> regardless of who is in the right.

Finally, you call the police immediately, you do not wait till the convenient next morning, shooting the birds yourself, for example, is tampering with evidence.

and finally, in most states, dogs are considered legal property, killing some ones dog is the same as stealing something of theirs, so you are better off to make sure that you allow the legal authorities to take care of the problem.

6 members found this post helpful.

Hence the term SSS. Shoot them, a couple times if necessary, and shovel a hole and shut up about it.

The law would actually prefer you did that and spared them the hassle. The police roll their eyes at your chicken problems.

If a carnivore is eating your birds then shoot the crapping thing, you don't need the law or our internet support, just do what everyone else does and take care of it yourself discreetly and STFU.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    I think you allow animal control to take care of the problem. Why? because shooting a dog is not a human way to kill it, unless you are very good with a rifle or hand gun, and I do not think you will like the howling, staggering pain and suffering you cause.
    If you wound, reload and shoot again. Or better yet, use an "evil" semi automatic "weapon" and just pull the trigger again. Done.

Secondly, those are your neighbors, and regardless of your rights, if you shoot their dogs, you will find the neighborhood will not think kindly of you. Do you plan to continue to live in that neighborhood. Do you want to be known as the person who kills some ones pets> regardless of who is in the right.
    At some point one has to say F what everyone else thinks and do what has to be done. If the image of a "pet killer" makes some irresponsible idiot think twice before letting their animals loose to do damage, it was worth it.

Finally, you call the police immediately, you do not wait till the convenient next morning, shooting the birds yourself, for example, is tampering with evidence.
    She shot the birds out of mercy because they were suffering a painful death from dog bites. Tampering with evidence? Are you serious?

and finally, in most states, dogs are considered legal property, killing some ones dog is the same as stealing something of theirs, so you are better off to make sure that you allow the legal authorities to take care of the problem.
    Dogs are chattel. Shooting one, when it is legally justified, is NOTHING like stealing one. I don't even understand how one could construe what you just did.

13 members found this post helpful.

Interesting discussion here - the barn where I board is in the middle of a somewhat similar situation. In this case one dog has gotten onto property and shown some horse aggression; most recently same dog and a couple others came onto property and displayed people aggression and did not retreat when attempts were made to chase them away. Animal control has been contacted and owner will be fined. But sadly where we are, there is no significant follow up on collection of the fine. Dogs are from adjacent property, getting thru the common fence. Its tricky here because an assortment of critters, one of which is protected, dig paths under the fence. There was some discussion after the most recent event re shooting the dogs if they come back again; while I would hate to see it happen just because the owner is a wack job, it doesn't seem to be a safe situation.

So sorry to hear about the chickens! that sucks.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

The OP lives in Pennsylvania and we have an SSS rule.

"...any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, including household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears a required license tag. There is no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing."

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspa3ps459_502.htm

No liability, but I'd cya with a report to the dog warden. I echo the poster who laments that stupid people own animals. It is a terrible end for a dog who has essentially been set up by his clueless owners. But poison is too general and my be consumed by innocents (animals you are not aiming for), and may cause cruel suffering. The OP has not had the cooperation of the dog owners.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

chisamba, you are dead wrong on the legalities of dealing with loose dogs harassing livestock. And also wrong about the politics of the situation. (Do you actually live out in the country?)
    You don't call 911 for a dying chicken. You put it down humanely. Nor do you bother the sheriff's office to come out and collect evidence about a chicken death; they're not going to do CSI-style forensics. If you felt it necessary, you can take some pictures of the dead birds and no one is going to question whether you killed them yourself in order to frame the neighbor's dog.

As for neighborhood politics, you do not advertise it you have dispatched a problem dog. The third S in SSS is Shut Up.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

10 members found this post helpful.

We recently moved into an older established neighborhood and everyone lets their dogs roam here - I'm amazed. what makes it worse is that the parcels are small - mostly 1-3 acres. When I lived on 120 acres, my dogs were all loose, but they had room to run and roaming wasn't really a problem. Here it's a joke. Although I fenced my barnyard area where the chickens hang out, the loose dogs figured out how to break in pretty quick. Fortunately, they were just coming for scapes I feed the chickens, not the chickens themselves. I added hot wire to the fencing - problem solved. But, still I'm shocked and disgusted that people just let these dogs roam. Sometimes they pack up, and it was only a matter of time before a chicken or goat was attacked. I love the idea of a paintball gun and also, I know with coyotes, all we had to do was shoot close to them, and they would stay away for a long time - so that's another thought - shooting near the dogs that may work. All in all it's quite the nuisance when one has to fence to keep other peoples dogs out of their yard. Seriously - the best/worst is when one of the POS dogs comes into my frontyard, takes a dump and then starts barking at me - like it's defending it's territory. Makes me want to scream..

To the OP I am so sorry for your loss, and truly feel for you. My chickens are beloved pets. I can not imagine the grief you experienced. I at this point feel you are totally justified in the SSS method. It is just crappy that you have been put in this position by irresponsable neighbors.

One can not judge the signifigance of a pet, based on its species. I have both chickens and dogs, and if I had to say which one meant more to me, if push came to shove, it would be the chickens. I say this because its the dogs job to lay down its life protecting the chickens, and other livestock. My dogs are very well cared for and have a good life, but the fact remains thats their job. That being said you cant argue '' Its just a chicken"