The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Furious.....Neighbors dogs killed my chickens today.....

Neighbor (sort of, they live about a mile away) has two dogs who have caused issues with us and neighbors in the past....they've been on our property chasing our birds although never killed any before today.
    Another neighbor had a problem with the dogs wrecking havoc at her house as well.
    Now today, I look out my in laws window and the Rotweiler is running across the driveway with one of my pet roosters in it's mouth.
    My brother in law blew out of the house with his .17 and fired a few warning shots....enough to scare the dogs off, but I've had it.

I called the owners who were very apolegetic but openly admitted that even though they've recieved many complaints, they still don't tie the dogs up...

So, is this an issue I can raise to our local animal control officer?
    I'm really fed up having to worry about my animals who stay on our property.

And I'd like to try to be civil about it now because I can't promise that I won't shoot them if they come after my animals again.

look up your state laws regarding nuisance dogs and lifestock...

then take target practice.

And do send them the bill for the damages the dog cause, replacement value of the birds etc....

and then be prepared to be called a meany:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bor-shoots-dog
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

8 members found this post helpful.

filing a report with animal control/sheriffs dept. is the place to start.
    They are responsible for the cost of your rooster. In some states its triple the cost. I would let them know you want damages. If that doesn't deter them then yes shooting the dog is an option.

1 members found this post helpful.

If the dog is people friendly I would try to catch it and bring it to the humane society or animal control or whatever. They would have to pay to get it back and hopefully that will teach them (as well as paying for damages and such will hopefully help teach him). If the dog comes onto your property and at that point in time is trying to go after your animals, yes you could shoot it.
    I personally would not feel comfortable shooting a dog if I could catch it and bring it away, as I have a hard time punishing an animal due to it's owner's stupidity. However I would injure/kill a dog threatening my animals, to save my animals.

10 members found this post helpful.

While I am a dog owner, chicken owner, and gun owner, I cannot support the decision to kill a dog over a chicken. I would however, encourage you to report the dog and go after the owner for the replacement cost of your rooster, and damages.
    I do understand the concern that if it is a chicken this time, then what will it get next time. I wish you luck, but if someone shot my dog, God help them. (That being said I know where my dog is at all times).

4 members found this post helpful.

Second (third, fourthing) what everyone else said.

1.) File the police report (it's never too late) and send the neighbors a bill for the damages. Feel free to make it a sizeable bill.

2.) Tell them if you see the dogs on your property again, you are well within your rights to shoot them, and you will proceed to do so. See if that gets them to put a leash on.

3a.) Shoot the dogs next time you see them.
    OR
    3b.) Pick up the dogs or call the police, and have them impounded. The fees will get increasingly higher everytime they have to go get them.
    OR
    3c.) Grab the dogs and drive them a few counties away to a pound, and drop them off there since you "were just driving through and found them running on the side of the road."

I too have an issue with shooting an animal just because it ended up with some idiot owners. But your chickens have a right to live in peace (well, as peaceful as a chicken's life can be considering literally EVERYTHING wants to eat them ) and hopefully just threatening to shoot the dogs will be enough.

BTW, if you do actually shoot them....Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    look up your state laws regarding nuisance dogs and lifestock...

then take target practice.

And do send them the bill for the damages the dog cause, replacement value of the birds etc....

and then be prepared to be called a meany:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bor-shoots-dog
    This 1000 percent. The fact that they know their dog is a problem yet won't do anything means that SSS is the only way this will be resolved.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    While I am a dog owner, chicken owner, and gun owner, I cannot support the decision to kill a dog over a chicken. I would however, encourage you to report the dog and go after the owner for the replacement cost of your rooster, and damages.
    I do understand the concern that if it is a chicken this time, then what will it get next time. I wish you luck, but if someone shot my dog, God help them. (That being said I know where my dog is at all times).
    God help them? Livestock owners are completely within their rights to shoot animals threatening their property.

If you don't want your dog shot, don't let them roam. Simple as that. No one else should be responsible for your pet.

29 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    If the dog is people friendly I would try to catch it and bring it to the humane society or animal control or whatever. They would have to pay to get it back and hopefully that will teach them (as well as paying for damages and such will hopefully help teach him). If the dog comes onto your property and at that point in time is trying to go after your animals, yes you could shoot it.
    I personally would not feel comfortable shooting a dog if I could catch it and bring it away, as I have a hard time punishing an animal due to it's owner's stupidity. However I would injure/kill a dog threatening my animals, to save my animals.
    These are not dogs you can catch....we have tried before...what will it be next time? My mini horse? God help these owners if that happens.

And in regards to the comment about killing a dog over a chicken....who's to say the dog is a more important animal than my chicken?

It's illegal to let your dogs run all over the country side killing whatever it sees. I have a duty to MY animals to protect them....the owner of the dogs has the duty to keep their dogs contained and consequently from harm.

43 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    God help them? Livestock owners are completely within their rights to shoot animals threatening their property.

If you don't want your dog shot, don't let them roam. Simple as that. No one else should be responsible for your pet.
    As I said. I know where my dog is at all times.

3 members found this post helpful.

It is not your place to tell others what value to place on their livestock.

If someone shoots your dog for killing their chickens, baby pigs, ducks, whatever, in virtually all states the shooter will walk and you will have no legal remedy.

And what would you do about it? Retaliate? There's a good chance that won't end well for you.

By the by, in my state the law does not require a dog to actually KILL livestock or bite someone before it can be killed by the aggrieved party. Merely harassing the livestock or acting in a threatening manner to humans is enough for it to earn a bullet.

15 members found this post helpful.

As I said. I know where my dog is at all times.
    Then you sound like a responsible pet owner and should have no problem with other people being responsible pet owners and protecting their own pets. "Just a chicken" or not.

9 members found this post helpful.

They have to pay you the value of the animal. And make sure they do.

We had the neighbor's dogs tear through a cage to kill a neutered pet rabbit and I called the Humane Society to get the adoption fee for a neutered rabbit, $25, then the cage was damaged so we priced new wire, staples and wood, another $25. They kicked a little about the last one but paid it. I would have by far rather had them keep their dogs contained and they knew perfectly well if we caught them again they were *gone*. In that county the law quite clearly stated that dogs caught harassing/killing livestock were subject to being shot, ie the dogs life was not more valuable than the life of a livestock animal.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

Make a report to A/C. Around here A/C will pay the owner a visit. I had two bulldogs hauled off after they were loose for the 1000th time. The two previous times they attacked my neighbor's cattle. He was away from home, had two baby bulls he was weaning in a pen off the barn.

The dogs took off when I drove up, I called A/C and waited for them. The office caught the dogs, the female was in heat. They were charged a HUGE fine. I don't think they've been loose since, but the next time the fine is doubled, after that tripled, and after that it's three strikes you're out.

Of course both dogs are intact, and of course, the owner of the dogs is angry with me. Of course.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Make sure your scope is aligned, get your clip stuffed with all the bullets it can hold, have a back up clip or two, and shoot them next time ya see them on your property. After shooting, bury or leave for the buzzards. I would not tell the neighbors. They more than likely will not notice little "fluffy" missing.

My dogs never leave my property. Ever. My fencing is like a penitentiary with the fencing. Also, if your little "fluffy" gets in my fence, it will be shot.

I would definitely tell the owners, file a report with the correct officials. Maybe they can pay for the deceased chickens?

Maybe you could take the neighbors the dead chickens. Maybe they want them now.

So sorry on your chickens. Hate this for you. And your chickens.

These are not dogs you can catch....we have tried before...what will it be next time? My mini horse? God help these owners if that happens.

Do not sit and procrastinate and ask what's next......have you called the authorities and filed a report yet? Have you reported it to animal control yet? Tomorrow morning you should go and file a civil suit for damages. The roosters I used to have were expensive.

I am sorry this happened to you but if you have had problems in the past with the dogs why so shocked and saddened now? The dogs will only do what they are allowed to do.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;67786163b.) 3c.) Grab the dogs and drive them a few counties away to a pound, and drop them off there since you "were just driving through and found them running on the side of the road."

[/QUOTE]

More than likely the owners won't find the dogs and have to pay to get them out which is, I presume, your intent on this. Also, more than likely you are sentencing the dogs to euthanasia as they may not get adopted as most pounds only keep them a short pd of time. You might just as well SSS.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post

Do not sit and procrastinate and ask what's next......have you called the authorities and filed a report yet? Have you reported it to animal control yet? Tomorrow morning you should go and file a civil suit for damages. The roosters I used to have were expensive.

I am sorry this happened to you but if you have had problems in the past with the dogs why so shocked and saddened now? The dogs will only do what they are allowed to do.
    We have contacted the owners in the past who begged for us to not contact authorities and promised they would leash their dogs. This was a year ago so we have not had issues in a year. The last time we had an issue we thought we had resolved it with a call to th owners.

But now this time she openly admitted that she isn't leasing her dogs or fencing them in or tying them. Which is why I'm taking these measures now.

This happened literally 3 hours ago. I'm contacting animal control in the morning. I've also kept the dead birds. Two of which we had to shoot after the fact. They didn't have any exterior injuries aside from two small punctures but they were both bleeding heavily from the beak.

They broke their promise.

Contact the sheriff also. Not sure in your area the highest authority is.

Sorry for your loss. That is terrible you had to shoot two of them after the fact.

The dogs' owner has had the courtesy of multiple warnings. I suppose if you wanted to be up-front and honest, you could tell her plainly and without drama that the next time the dogs are on your property, you will shoot them. If that isn't enough for her to keep them restrained, then there's not much more you can do besides follow through with it and SSS.

I'm a dog owner, and I love my dogs like they are my children. But if they killed a neighbor's livestock and were shot, it would be no one's fault but mine.
    Last edited by cnvh; Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

6 members found this post helpful.