The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Who has changed their Screen Name? Why did you do it?

Was it worth it? Did you keep a "so-and-so aka/used to be so-and-so" SC for awhile or just change it cold turkey?

Do you ever regret it?

...Thinking of changing/updating mine but trying to decide if its a good idea.

TIA!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I changed my name by default.
    Signed on long ago to ask about something or other in the classifieds.
    Years later, after some forum changes, I wanted to contribute to an ongoing debate and my name now belonged to some other person.
    It seems that it had been erased as mine in the changes.

After a dozen unsuccessful tries, I finally came up with the current one while watching some bluebirds flying around the yard and that one stuck.
    A new poster identity was born.

I don't think anyone cares, you can invent as many alters as you can keep track of.

1 members found this post helpful.

I changed mine because I have been consolidating horse-related online stuff to my blog name. I didn't announce it and doubt anyone noticed it, much less cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I changed my name by default.
    Signed on long ago to ask about something or other in the classifieds.
    Years later, after some forum changes, I wanted to contribute to an ongoing debate and my name now belonged to some other person.
    It seems that it had been erased as mine in the changes.

After a dozen unsuccessful tries, I finally came up with the current one while watching some bluebirds flying around the yard and that one stuck.
    A new poster identity was born.

I don't think anyone cares, you can invent as many alters as you can keep track of.
    My story is almost the same. When I changed computers and emails it wouldn't let me sign back in to COTH under my old username. A long time ago I was "Rusty Stirrup".
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

My reasons were similar. While on a road trip with a student, I had to access my email through my iPad. Along the way I forgot my password and ended up creating a new ID for myself when I got home.

Just as well. I was tired of the old name.

My reasons were similar. While on a road trip with a student, I had to access my email through my iPad. Along the way I forgot my password and ended up creating a new ID for myself when I got home.

Just as well. I was tired of the old name.

I found some strange messages on COTH that I certainly hadnt posted. So, I changed username/password and computer.

Was a good time, anyway, as I had decided to only ever post under my real name with the philosophy that I should only write down what I am prepared to say in person.
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Quote Originally Posted by RaeHughes View Post
    I found some strange messages on COTH that I certainly hadnt posted. So, I changed username/password and computer.

Was a good time, anyway, as I had decided to only ever post under my real name with the philosophy that I should only write down what I am prepared to say in person.
    I didn't want to use my real name - my clients often google me, and I think a bunch of COTH posts would confuse them.

I've always used this username on COTH. It was my first horse's show name. I still have the horse, but he's retired now and just goes by his barn name. And other things I call him, since pAin't_Misbehavin' was very descriptive of his ebil poneh personality.

On other boards, I always use my farm name.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I've had the same user name all along, but if I had a user name related to a beloved horse who then passed away, I can see where I might want to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I've had the same user name all along, but if I had a user name related to a beloved horse who then passed away, I can see where I might want to change it.
    Or, like me, Toadie has a new mom. Every time this subject comes up I think about changing mine, but so far nada. I'd like to come up with something clever, but apparently I'm not
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I think a lot of the 'used to be so-and-so' deals are our special friends with the spiky hair....who had been told to leave but just can't stay away.
    A few are rehabilitated...some just hang in their until they are caught again....

Some of the more memorable changelings did it in the attempt to hide their tracks after some rather outlandish story telling, some of which may or may not have included copious amounts of adult beverages and multiple personalities, supposedly real and inebriated, but more likely just imagined and drunk off their A$$es....

As for me?
    I've been myself for 11 years now...I might change it in the unlikely event something changes in my circumstance (you know, when I stop being a girl )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Can you "update" your username without getting a new account?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    Can you "update" your username without getting a new account?
    once upon a time you could change it yourself.
    The mods can change it for you now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I was on COTH a long time ago (like, 7+ years) and I can't remember what my username was. That's why I made a new one. Online I've gone through various usernames mostly for the sake of keeping some things separate from others.

I had a bad reputation once on a forum (not related to horses) for some inexplicable reason. People just didn't like me. They'd pick fights with me or do flaming and stuff in response to everything I posted. So... I had a mod change my username. I didn't change anything else about my posting but all the flaming stopped. It seemed they had just been picking on me for fun I suppose. But that's the only time I've ever had to change my username over my reputation.

I don't use my real name online because there are like 3 of me (max) in the United States. Too unique. Maybe some day, when I'm part of a business and have an associated client base I might. But otherwise no.