The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does my horse have rain rot? Can I bring her to a show??

My horse (leased to me) is supposed to be being shipped to a show on Tuesday for the week and I think she may have rain rot.
    She's a 10 yo OTTB grey mare, I've only been riding her for a week so I don't know her previous skin condition, I was told she had "a fungus." Not sure of a diagnosis.

On her hind legs they are thick with small black sticky/crusty bumps, which when I bathed her with the antifungal shampoo and scrubbed them they came off. They are also scattered along her entire body and looked almost as if someone sprinkled pepper on her (when dry), when I scrub her they really come out a lot- but are still present. They are along on the back of her ears. It does not itch her (at least she's not going at it), but she seems sensitive when I really scrub at it a lot (understandably). There are about 5 tiny black hanging skin tag type ones on either side of her neck, two of which I pulled out, and didn't bleed.

Obviously you aren't vets, which is the next stop- but for now I'd just like to hear what others have to say!

In your "opinion":
    Is this contagious? A skin allergy? Bug bites? Would you be ok with a horse with this condition coming to stay at your on show stable?

(Location: Florida)

UPDATE: she simply had dry skin, several Tea Tree oil baths did the trick.
    Last edited by jumper528; Aug. 29, 2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: update

This sounds almost like scratches. Are they clustered around her fetlocks? I have seen serious cases where they are on the body too if left untreated. When you remove them, are they kind of like little pustules or are they coming off with a bit of hair attached? Likewise, this could be "cannon crud" for lack of a better term, that has gotten out of hand. Maybe someone else has some ideas. Unless your mare is in pain from it, I would go ahead and show but get a vet's opinion first to make sure it's not contagious.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Sounds like fungus to me/rain rot. Scratches would be in the soft part on the backside of the pastern...

I have had a lot of success with Zephyr's Garden anti-fungal salve. I also have used muck itch in the past.

I don't see any reason she can't show as long as you don't use others brushes and potentially spread her fungus.

Been doing some research- it really sounds like "seborrhea." Does anyone have any experience with this condition? Thanks!

Don't share brushes. It's old school, but MTG clears up almost anything on my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by drkhors View Post
    Don't share brushes. It's old school, but MTG clears up almost anything on my horses.
    Please try it on a VERY small area and wait 24 hours before doing anymore. MTG can cause HORRID reactions!!

Eqyys makes and anti-fungal shampoo and spray that I swear by. A TB I used to own had chronic rain rot (even in summer) and that was the only thing that would clear it up for any extended periods of time.

MTG I hear works well, but I didn't have access to it at the time. Definitely try it on a small spot first as some horses are allergic. It's done wonders for my Arab/QH's tail though!

Is she blanketed? If so, look at the lining. I'd wash everything twice, and if the blanket has a fleece liner STOP using it. Also look into getting a blanket or sheet with a mesh lining...they allow better air flow, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper528 View Post
    Been doing some research- it really sounds like "seborrhea." Does anyone have any experience with this condition? Thanks!
    Seborrhea, or cannon keratosis, usually looks white. It kind of looks like layers and layers of built up dandruff (when it's really bad it looks like scars) and is greasy feeling when you pick it off. It's also usually limited to the hind legs.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Please try it on a VERY small area and wait 24 hours before doing anymore. MTG can cause HORRID reactions!!
    DITTO. Worked wonders on my mare, burned the living snot out of my gelding.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue