The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite show splurges

So, with Christmas and birthday stuff all happening at the same time, I have some extra money with which to be impractical and reckless. I'm thinking this will be my beloved hunter's last serious show season, so I want him to go out in style and spoil him rotten (as if he cares about anything more than cookies and naps). I've already treated him to a 5-week rolfing session, plus a massage and chiropractic/acupuncture work (which we of course will continue throughout the year). Now, I'm ready to be totally materialistic for once and totally outfit him.

I just placed an order for a beeeautiful The Clothes Horse cooler
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps996587b3.jpg
    . I'm interested in getting a nice halter and lead shank-- any suggestions? Something special but not tacky.

What make you and your horse feel special at shows, besides the hours of hard work and dedication?
    Last edited by Rollie Pollie; Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Walsh halters are the best, in my opinion. Mine is still going strong. Actually, now that I think about it, one of my guys isn't in a Walsh, just one from Smartpak, and I hate it. Gotta put him back in a Walsh

Btw, your link doesn't work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stall and a half or double stall wherever the stalls are temporary would actually be something the horse might appreciate.

6 members found this post helpful.

Stall and a half or double stall wherever the stalls are temporary would actually be something the horse might appreciate.

6 members found this post helpful.

This isn't really a lead rope for halters but I really love my leather lead rope that clips to both sides of the bit.
    Like this
    http://www.hossequine.co.uk/ekmps/sh...ain-1644-p.jpg

Walsh halter and lead!! The quality is the best, so they will look great for years!! I have my gelding in one. When my mare's non-Walsh dies, she's getting a Walsh. I always do a nameplate on the halter, not on the lead (so nobody gets cut by the plate when the horse pulls away fast).
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Do you have a nice show scrim sheet for the spring/summer?

Scrim, rain cover, and day sheet to match the cooler and an RGI waffle weave sheet.

For halter/leads I actually like my Quillan one better than my Walsh but they're both nice.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The apples at the New England Finals!!!! Yumm

Back on Track stuff. Especially the quick wrap boots and the sheet.

I love fleece-padded shipping halters... how about some Baker plaid coolers too!?
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

Looove BOT stuff. The quick wraps have been a Godsend. Maybe a quarter sheet would be nice. I love the idea of a scrim! New York apples sound pretty nice too

I agree on a nice matching show scrim for the warm-weather shows. Or how 'bout some cute embroidered square schooling pads for show warmups and lessons? Personlly, I have all my horses in the higher-end Smartpak halters and I *love* them. Plus, I appreciate that Smartpak puts the nameplates on for me, and those suckers don't come off
    Happy Shopping!
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Pictures of you showing this season!!! I don't have many of my now retired hunter & I in the ring - it is something I really regret. I always love looking at the proofs, but never bought any. The time spent together in the ring is special & you should have some lasting momentos
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

I bought my very thin skinned WB a nice monocrown bridle, now he gets way fewer rubs and looks super spiffy He also always appreciates a nice liniment bath, so I give him one every day at shows. And a super heavy duty seam ripper, takes so much less time to undo his braids at shows
    Also for me, Arch supports for tall boots!

Walsh - I bought my latest from the harness shop online, they had great prices.

There are not many other brands that have the same quality and hardware that walsh has.

Triple crown wool cooler- I have had one that has been using with a lot of my horses. It must be 15 years old and is in beautiful condition.

Maybe some sore no more gel? You can even use it under your BOT products.

Don't know what the hunters use but Mattes pads with the sheepskin underneath are so comfortable for the horse.

I looovveee my Quillins halter... I can always pick it out of the big mass of leather halters at the horse shows because it is the prettiest!

Actually, I think what would probably make him the happiest is some extra TLC at the horse shows... liniment baths, a hay net to pick at, walks around the show to get out of his stall, you know, make him feel like a king.

I'm sure he'll appreciate it, you sound like a good horse mommy!

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I should buy stock in Sore No More at this point. At 13 and doing the A/O's, I know it makes him feel much better to have a rub down every time we jump. He also gets ice boots, poultice or SNM/BOT wraps after lessons. Too special not to be spoiled

Loove the TCH scrims. I think that will be a purchase in the near future!

I bought a Tack Shack halter awhile back per this board, and it's held up well, but it just isn't as striking as the chestnut Walsh with triple stitching. Something about that color when it darkens gets me every time! I saw Mary's Tack and Feed had a Walsh-made-for Mary's fancy stitched halter, but I can't tell if it's too much. The fine line between fancy and tacky...

Quillan halters all the way. Simply the BEST halter money can buy, and their prices are great! I have several of these halters for my horses, and they last forever.