The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Radnor, absolutely!!!! Loved everything about the event - even the year it rained so hard we had to move all the show jumps from the infield to a sand ring. I learned how do a proper "mud tail" that year for XC!

2 members found this post helpful.

This is actually kind of a sad thread . . . so many great events that no longer exist.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Growing up, my favorite events were Timber Acres Ranch, which was put on by Peg Whitehurst and Patchwork Farm, which was put on by Pat Thuss.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

The Event at Jackson Hole (Spring Creek) in Area IX -- it was our first intermediate and the most stunning backdrop imaginable for ANY sport. Plus, the footing (an irrigated hay meadow) was the best you would ever find at a competition in that part of the country.
    My favorite eventing photo ever is from there, jumping a big table with the Grand Tetons as a backdrop. They are so fabulous they look fake.
    And for events I never got to do myself, Essex hands down.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Trojan Horse Trials. It was nice to have something right here in the Valley of the Sun (Area X). I didn't compete, but spectated & braided tons of horses for a few years.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by brantgamma View Post
    Radnor, absolutely!!!! Loved everything about the event - even the year it rained so hard we had to move all the show jumps from the infield to a sand ring. I learned how do a proper "mud tail" that year for XC!
    Oh I remember that year!!

I always loved Radnor for the atmosphere. Just a very classy event. And because they only ran the CCI** -- you felt like you were riding at Rolex. So cool.

Hard to pick one. Chase Creek horse trials was my introduction to eventing when I was 8 - I was a spectator and it was like all my dreams had come true. Since then I volunteered, schooled, and competed there, doing my first Training 3-day and first Prelim 3-day.

Johvale Horse Trials had its last run in 2012, so I rode 2 horses there. Johvale was a mixed bag for me. It was my first event (I got eliminated in dressage for entering before the bell!); it was where I taught Pony Club and schooled with Jimmy Wofford, where I moved up to Intermediate, and the course where I've had the most cross-country penalties, when you add them all up! It was also one of the few courses to hold Advanced in B.C. The organizer Heather was tireless and friendly, and her event will be sorely missed.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by pandemonium33 View Post
    Oh I remember that year!!

I always loved Radnor for the atmosphere. Just a very classy event. And because they only ran the CCI** -- you felt like you were riding at Rolex. So cool.

I remember that year too.....boy we were WET but every one chipped in and got those jumps moved
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    This is actually kind of a sad thread . . . so many great events that no longer exist.
    I was thinking the same thing. Even sadder, it was hard to pick just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larbear View Post
    Back when I was living in the Ottawa area, Farm of the Mountain was my all time favourite. There used to be so many great events in the Ottawa area and now most of them are gone.
    Its actually a bit staggering to think how many we have lost in the last 10 or so years - FOTM (also my fave), Sunset, Steven's Creek, Rocking Horse, Foxhill (or something similar! I'm struggling!), Fiddler's, Canterdown....

With the NNEP likely out of commission this year, I suspect we will have only two facilities running events this year - Oakhurst and Touch. Fortunately, both run two events a year....but its still slim pickings in this area.

Guess there's an age difference.
    My first thought was Ships Quarters and Gladstone.
    But do miss Menfelt, more miss Dale, she was the perfect owner.
    And Weave a Dream, weather always seemed wet,cold and muddy, but never missed one if horse was sound.

PS- Jackson Hole still holds a fall event.

There were a lot of fun events that are no longer here. The event at Jackson hole(wy) That was one of my favorites. A few times it was so cold that there was actual ice on the water jump and the pipes froze in the trailers( this was in august mind you) One year Tuppy'smom's daughter broke the ice in the water jump since she was first out.
    swifture ranch in idaho was another favorite, of course living literally minutes away was so nice. They had the most amazing bank complex, novice through advanced. After it was sold, the owners buldozed all the fences and water jumps(and had a bonfire) It was so sad. The funniest thing is that they can't subdivide it at all because of the flood plain and some preserves. Now it is the handicapped riders program headquarters so that is nice, but no x-country fences
    Don't forget wild horse in napa, ca. That drive to the event was an adventure into itself, the road was so steep and curvy that the larger rigs had to unload the horses at the bottom of the hill and walk them up. So many amazing events are gone, so very sad.

Well, I never really got to compete before my accident, but Kingsbury Hill in NH just looked like a lot of fun. I went there as a groom a couple of times. I know people are trail riding there, and possibly they have an X/C schooling occasionally? But I don't know.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

In Area III - Midland 3Day and HT- very well run event plus some of the best event food ever!. Flat Creek HT, I boarded and worked there - great family run event. Cahaba HT, always raining there.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Essex, Chesterland, and Pleasant Hollow. I loved going to see the upper levels at Essex and Chesterland. That is what got me hooked on eventing!

I remember competing against Buck at Pleasant Hollow when he was a kid riding Noah, on of Bruce's old horses. Buck did great, I had to back my horse through the water, after falling off and getting back on (those were the days haha!).

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Down here in FL, I miss Suncatcher. It was a grand lil' show but well run and lots of fun. The Wishard's did a great job on the property they owned in McIntosh.

Valhalla up in Wellborn was another show that was fun and now gone.
    I have many pleasant memories of Suncatcher too. It was a recognized that still had the family feel of a schooling show. It was always well run. Florida used to have lots of smaller venues and one by one they've disappeared....

We lost Suncatcher to the declining health of the Wishards, Valhalla is still horse property, parcelled up into smaller farms. The houses were inching in closer and closer at Canterburry for years before they finally quit running recognized horse trials. Immokalee was a blast, but it was supposed to be a fund raising event.... What ever happened to Basingstoke?

I'm so glad for Rocking Horse, which has been a constant for as long as I can remember, no matter what name it was under.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

If Middletown doesn't count, then Farewell Farms HT in SC.

Ledyard...so much history. And then the old Groton Houses and Shepley.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Blue Ridge. Open and flowing.
    Ditto! I loved that event.

Freeman Farms was great big and galloping! Mountain Meadow and the Whidbey Island event at old sea lane base was stunning!