The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Pleasant Hollow was my first horse trial in 1983 and I won intermediate there in 1997 so it holds a fond place in my heart. I loved Middletown! It was always a challenge to make the time.

gardenie...

I didn't include Middletown because it technically still exists!! They run unrec ht's there still.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Maui Jim. Sorely missed.

Seconded. Best.damn.organizer.ever.

2 members found this post helpful.

Over the Walls! I know it was only around for a few years, but I volunteered there and it was the sole reason I discovered and fell in love with eventing. Some of the best memories of my teen years are from summers preparing for and working that event.

1 members found this post helpful.

Little River and Longleaf in NC, I believe that they were run by the Ross's at that time. (early 80's) As to why they no longer exist... I think one was turned into a parking lot and another developed into something.... golf course? Housing?

High Meadows in southern IL. Big tough courses and awesome competitors parties.

Lily Glen in Oregon.

My trainer entered me for Junior Novice in 1986, I had no idea eventing was even a 'horse show' sport- I only ever knew you could show hunters, jumpers, dressage. I had no idea about all the creative ways to get eliminated, luckily I had good coaching and finished on my (lousy) dressage score.
    Fell in LOVE with eventing, came back the next year for Junior Training.
    Ah, memories...I was 16 and drove myself (truck and trailer and TB mare and BFF for groom) with my newly minted drivers license.

Little River and the old Longleaf. Little river had a really galloping xc course. Longleaf had a special flavor, we stabled at little barns all through the area and trailered over, so everybody was in the parking area together, kinda nice.
    Also loved Essex. Best times of my life there at the 3 Day.

The ones I could think of were already mentioned (Pleasant Hollow, Hearthstone, Middletown) but man those all bring back some memories
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Spring Creek at Jackson Hole and Mountain River (ID) because it was "ours".
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    You beat me to it! While I was never a competitor there (or anywhere else for that matter - at least in eventing), Shepley Hill was my introduction into the wonderful world of eventing. It was the first event I ever volunteered at and set the stage and the standard for my later very successful stint as an organizer.

I was surprised to see no one mention the passing of an eventing great and cornerstone of that event. So I will share with you all a tribute written by his son in law about one the the classiest "old guys" I have ever had the priviledge to know:

Albert Palmer Gould passed away January 1, 2013. He was in his 99th year and a wonderful father, grand & great grand Dad! Known as Grampy since the first grandchild could talk, he built the original Sheply Hill Horse Trials cross country course single handedly. He gave up his sail boat in favor of a Jeep & tractor to indulge his daughter's love of riding & competing. He was a wonderful person & member of the Greatest Generation. Rest In Peace Grampy; it was a privledge to have known you.

Wow, I had no idea! He had a good long life and leaves a great legacy. RIP Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    Little River and Longleaf in NC, I believe that they were run by the Ross's at that time. (early 80's) As to why they no longer exist... I think one was turned into a parking lot and another developed into something.... golf course? Housing?
    Little River was sold and turned into a golfing community. Old Longleaf was moved to the Carolina Horse Park in 2001 - property constraints. I took over running Longleaf at the park in 2002-2009.

Quote Originally Posted by groom View Post
    Seconded. Best.damn.organizer.ever.
    Awww gee. Thanks whoever you are!

Recognized- Blue Ridge

Unrecognized- Dominion Valley PC HT at Foxcroft
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I was pretty bummed when Area IX lost Spring Creek. It was my first exposure to watching Intermediate and Advanced. I was getting anxious walking my Novice course, so I walked the back part of the Advanced, and I felt much more confident about my Novice course! Camping out in the trailer, our pictures with the Tetons in the background, it was just a unique experience that is sorely missed.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Pleasant Hollow! Evented there for years and years. Jane's coming to visit me in the spring and I can't wait to see her.
    I triple Pleasant Hollow! I did my first prelim there at the very last event they ever held there. PHF was 20 min from my farm, and for the three wonderful years from when we bought that farm to when we picked up and moved across the country to SoCal, I'd shift my Thursday workday, trailer two of my horses over to Jane, and have two early-morning D, XC, or SJ lessons right in a row. I was ~just~ thinking this weekend about those horrible January mornings when it was bitter cold, I'm getting out of my warm bed at O'Dark:30, hooking up and hauling over, and Jane was always there with her coffee, smiling and ready. I miss those days and I miss having access to Jane as my trainer

My favorite jumps there were the big brush after the first water and the coffin to the right turn to that steep hill with the oxer on top.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

NerdyElf, you beat me to Deep Creek -- I rode in the FIRST and SECOND (won training level) ever Deep Creeks and it lasted 20-some years. I miss the peeps and Cindy.
    Also miss Freeman Farms...my first prelim...huge nasty drop into cowpond...do not miss that....and Lily Glen in Oregon. Many people did not like that one, but I learned a lot about evening at Lily Glen - both what to do and what not to do. (That hayrack was nasty.) Pete Costello built Lily Glen and I do remember sitting around the campfire at night with him chatting about eventing, and treasure those memories.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Mountain Meadows in Area VII - gorgeous courses and great galloping, often through very foggy mornings. Maui Jim - not sure there's much I've ever ridden that feels as cool as going up and over the big bank, plus the organizer and team there always made you feel like a star. And Radnor - what a grand old school event.

Oh god yes, Mountain Meadows! did a classic three day there! in the fog. And helped stuff the steeplechase fences with scotch broom.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Down here in FL, I miss Suncatcher. It was a grand lil' show but well run and lots of fun. The Wishard's did a great job on the property they owned in McIntosh.

Valhalla up in Wellborn was another show that was fun and now gone.