The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fun Thread... What was your favorite event that no longer exists and why?

Mine is very easy.

MCTA horse trials at Jackson Hole farm. That was a HUGE course. they only ran T and Prelim and since it was 2 weeks before the also defunct Essex Three Day, a lot of the 2* horses would run the Prelim and the 1* guys would run either the T or the P.

It was a very tough course to make time on and those that did usually walked away with a ribbon.

I was very lucky there and came home with a ribbon on all but one start. (That was the mare coming back after a bow so we just did it as a CT)

It was an event that really embodied the old eventing style.

Not that I don't appreciate the new MCTA at Shawan Downs, but Jackson Hole's course just rocked.

Second place would go to Pleasant Hollow. I completed my first prelim there (on my 3rd attempt) and I always thought it was a nice course. Even with the big scary ditch.

So what are yours???

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Rubicon! Hands down. Loved the rolling xc course, and the organizers were awesome! It was fun to both compete and volunteer there.

Miss it already and it's only been one year.

Maui Jim. Sorely missed.
    Click here before you buy.

Hearthstone. Fond memories.

2 members found this post helpful.

Somerset Hills was my all time favorite I loved the courses and the terrain, and show jumping on the grand prix field was alway really cool.

Close second was Pleasant Hollow. Loved the courses, even the giant ditch Lol. My first horse catapulted me over the either the trakhener or the tiger trap (been so long can'rememberer which one! ) and then went to gallop home to NJ. Thank god we were just schooling and my lesson mate galloped after her and caught her. Good times.

I second RUBICON!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Second place would go to Pleasant Hollow. I completed my first prelim there (on my 3rd attempt) and I always thought it was a nice course. Even with the big scary ditch.
    Pleasant Hollow! Evented there for years and years. Jane's coming to visit me in the spring and I can't wait to see her.

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Somerset Hills was my all time favorite I loved the courses and the terrain, and show jumping on the grand prix field was alway really cool.
    Oh, my gosh, I was the secretary for Somerset Hills for years ...

Back when I was living in the Ottawa area, Farm of the Mountain was my all time favourite. There used to be so many great events in the Ottawa area and now most of them are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Oh, my gosh, I was the secretary for Somerset Hills for years ...
    Well small world lol! I loved that horse trial. I'm sitting in my office right now and there are at least three photos on my wall from Somerset Hills. I still own one of my guys that competed there, and yes he's very old. He went to PHF too Fond memories!

As much as I loved Rubicon, my most missed is Menfelt.

Sentimental to me. It was the first REAL horse trial I ever attended (versus the two little starter trials I did back home in the Richmond area). It was the first time I groomed at event. First place I learned how to put studs in. First place I watched, live and in person, Advanced level cross country (I was a little ).

It was also the first place I ever competed Ralph, who was the first horse I ever broke and then showed.

It was my first ATTEMPT at prelim, with the big ol' Rielly monster (we made it to the ditch and brush, which was fence 6, I think. He wanted nothing to do with it).

Menfelt also had the GREATEST schooling course, and I fondly remember jumping some good babies around their first school there.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED Rubicon...but, for sentimental reasons, I will always deeply miss Menfelt. It has a special place in my heart (and I will be crushed if anything ever happens to Morven, which is right up there for the sentimental stuff!).

It isn't defunct, but I miss the old days of Groton House when it was a "Who's Who" kind of event. It was like a mini vacation to go there, whether I was grooming or riding or both.

I second Jackson Hole. Great prelim XC course, great restaurants and the owners once even set up a sporting clays course for us.

Herron Park Horse Trials in Montana and Deep Creek Horse Trials near Spokane.

Both were fun, and as a kid I loved the creeks.

Shepley Hill

3 members found this post helpful.

The Radnor CCI**

It was always a super classy event. And that big drop in front of the club house..whew!

Also, Rubicon. One of my favorite events

3 members found this post helpful.

Hard choice.....the old MCTA was one of my first Prelims ever...Big course but was fun. I also miss Menfelt. Ran around a LOT of courses there and have a lot of great memories.

I think I probably miss Essex and the events that were held at Gladstone the most. Fun xc...had some really great runs at Prelim there. LOVED riding in the rings there and the old stone barns and seeing all that great USET history there.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Blue Ridge. Open and flowing.

Absolute tie between Menfelt and Rubicon.
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Shepley Hill
    You beat me to it! While I was never a competitor there (or anywhere else for that matter - at least in eventing), Shepley Hill was my introduction into the wonderful world of eventing. It was the first event I ever volunteered at and set the stage and the standard for my later very successful stint as an organizer.

I was surprised to see no one mention the passing of an eventing great and cornerstone of that event. So I will share with you all a tribute written by his son in law about one the the classiest "old guys" I have ever had the priviledge to know:

Albert Palmer Gould passed away January 1, 2013. He was in his 99th year and a wonderful father, grand & great grand Dad! Known as Grampy since the first grandchild could talk, he built the original Sheply Hill Horse Trials cross country course single handedly. He gave up his sail boat in favor of a Jeep & tractor to indulge his daughter's love of riding & competing. He was a wonderful person & member of the Greatest Generation. Rest In Peace Grampy; it was a privledge to have known you.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Hard choice.....the old MCTA was one of my first Prelims ever...Big course but was fun. I also miss Menfelt. Ran around a LOT of courses there and have a lot of great memories.

I think I probably miss Essex and the events that were held at Gladstone the most. Fun xc...had some really great runs at Prelim there. LOVED riding in the rings there and the old stone barns and seeing all that great USET history there.
    I agree with Gladstone. Essex of course was great even if the steeplechase was interesting shape that neither of my 2 horses that ran liked. But the horse trials up there were a blast. And I agree the aura that tracked you up there was inspiring. I loved the one time I did stadium on the grass jump field, complete with Grob and bank.

Thanks for that memory Melissa!!!

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries