The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty Prozac

first time posting in this forum....mainly? because I only have one housepet. No farm animals, no outdoor pets...just one very very beloved flamepoint siamese.
    Abu is a 'gelded' (haha) male...about 10 yrs. He has been with us since leaving his breeder...been a single pet in our household the whole time.
    GREAT cat. Adorable...loved to death...and appreciated just for who he is.
    For about the last 4 years....he's been 'marking'. Things that may? have triggered it? daughter (his 'real' owner) went off to college. Neighbor (suburbs) had also around that time, allowed their 'outdoor' cat to roam and he would be on our deck/visiting thru windows, etc. (still continuing)
    using litterbox just fine. always has. but....now along baseboards in family room, spraying and marking.
    so. we've done ALL the suggested 'topical' items, the feliway products, the plug in diffusers, the collars, the spray for the areas....we've blocked the 'ground to floor windows' as the suggestions indicate.... replaced and doubled the amount of litter boxes, finally, at wits end, I'm going to see if a vet will prescribe the prozac. It seems to be a stress issue, as we can find nothing else to attach it to.

I give all that background ONLY because I find on these boards, when you ask a specific question, so many will ask something else, or direct their responses to a different approach than what you inquired on. I just wanted everyone to know:

yes, we've done everything else imaginable. and for longer than a year.
    yes, he's fixed.
    yes, he's otherwise healthy.
    also: he is declawed in front, so he couldn't be made into an outdoor cat safely (not to mention that too would involve giving him away, as we're in the suburbs on less than a 1/4 acre, and the traffic and cars is just not a safe scenario here)

what I'm posting about and asking about is very specific:

anyone had marking issues with a cat, and tried the prozac for this situation? If so, can you share your experiences? both positive or negative?

thanks so much. We love our boy...but I am at the end of my rope and can't continue like this.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I love Prozac. One of our two male cats is absolutely insane. Without Prozac, he gets obsessive and stalker-ish about my husband (follows him everywhere screaming, randomly attacks him, attaches himself to him, generally behaves like a psychotic abusive boyfriend), and he also sprays everywhere. With Prozac, his obsessive neediness decreases to being reasonably cuddly, no random attacks, and almost no spraying. He's been off Prozac since before Christmas--we ran out, and then we were traveling a bit and it wouldn't have been consistent--and he's just started up again with the spraying, so I am getting his refill tomorrow fo' sho'.

Quick tip: Get the prescription from your vet and then have it filled at a pharmacy--much cheaper!

One of our kitty girls is on daily Prozac. When we brought a kitten home, she became miffed and started peeing on things---even though she was used to living in a multi cat and dog household. It has not solved the problem totally, but she will go for weeks without marking. The vet could find absolutely no physical reason for her behavior. She's very good about taking her daily pill as she always gets several treats post-pill. As far as we're concerned, she can stay on Prozac for the rest of her life. And it is not expensive if you get a scrip and take it to the drugstore. Good Luck !!!

I tried it for aggression, not marking. It zonked the cat out SO BAD... he was completely lethargic and lost all will to move. When he did get up... he was just as aggressive. So, failed experiment for me. They make it for dogs in liver flavored treats and also liquid. Getting it in him was no problem.

And here's my story about the shenanigans GETTING the Prozac initially...

http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside...opic/216949/1/
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

thanks everyone who has added in here.
    found two new spots, and am now cleaning again, but also setting up appointment for obtaining perscription....at the end of this rope entirely......gonna find vet who will prescribe and will be trying it and if not looking into rehoming somewhere with property and safe spot for declawed cat to safely get 'away' from predator....this is heartbreaking.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

A declawed cat is really not safe outside. No judgments but really, I'd euthanize him before I'd try to transition him to an outside home. At this stage of his life (10 years of inside life), without claws... it's really not fair. Won't the breeder take him back?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I really feel for you - this is SO frustrating for owners to deal with.

I'm assuming you have ruled out medical causes - UTI/diabetes, etc.

Have you done Litter Box Boot camp? Your vet may recommend it in addition to medication at this point. (I recommend a large crate instead of a small room for the first step, but this is a good summary.)
    http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtua...r-box-training

There are several medications that can be used.

Clomipramine (Clomicalm) may have some efficacy in cats with inappropriate elimination. This is often the first one that most DVMs will reach for. Next would be fluoxetine (Reconcile) which is the same drug as Prozac. Finally alprazolam (Xanax) may be tried as well.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a DVM that can give you a Rx for these medications, especially with all you have tried already.

Good luck - unfortunately these cases are really hard, and don't always have a happy ending. :-(

I hope the Prozac works for your kitty. I can really sympathize with the problem, but please, please do not put a declawed cat outdoors. That is a recipe for disaster for the kitty. A peaceful crossing over the Bridge would be hugely much more kind.