The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Calena View Post
    One of the legion of lurkers checking in to verify that I am not a spam bot!

I only sign in when I post and I only post after I've read; therefore, I rarely have time to post! This is my second sign-on account. I've been lurking on these boards for over ten years and I've never been able to keep up with it. I think that's a good thing .
    yelp that was I was told to do recently , read the post...then think first..then enter the reponse... gee that is a waste of good thought

I also lurk, then sign in to say something.

Before I joined this past summer, I did a lot of lurking and just reading. COTH has an interesting reputation and I wanted to make sure I absolutely knew what I was getting into and that I wouldn't say anything that could cause a firestorm, or whatever.

A lot of times, I'm on my iPhone, and it's kind of a pain to sign in and reply and stuff. I have loads of compatibility issues with ads, too, so I just quickly scroll through.

Maybe they were checking out the thread over on the sport horse breeding forum regarding the GFF saga...

The JB/GFF mess is my guess as well.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

COTH is not an environment that tolerates fools gladly, so it's not surprising many people are content to lurk to get a better feel of the forum culture. I certainly lurked for quite a while before I joined.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Hell, I just dove right in and rolled around in the water like a happy seal.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've discovered that 98% of the horse related things I google usually have me landed back here, so there's that too.

COTH is certainly not for the faint of heart nor the thin skinned.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I lurked for at least 5 years before I finally joined. And still read way more than I write.

Quote Originally Posted by Calena View Post
    I only sign in when I post and I only post after I've read;
    there is much to be said for this practice. a woman i knew on another board would make a point of reading a post twice, and then reading her own response to it three times before she'd hit "submit." she was always a few minutes behind the conversation but saved herself much grief from possible impulse-posts.

most boards i've been on suggest reading for at least a real-time week before posting, in order to get a feel for the neighborhood.

however, there is also something to be said for jumping in a rolling around like a seal.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I also refrained for a while. In fact, had signed up years ago, forgot my COTH name, and returned after reading for several months again. Was prompted to jump in after a crisis.

I'm automatically signed in since I'm the only one on my computer. But was astounded at the numbers visiting! And yes, guess it could be spammers, but also so often impressed by the advice and counsel here. And have learned to avoid certain threads to stay away from being blasted!

Although now trying to make it through the GFF saga. I have one of Robert Caro's books on Lyndon Johnson here.

Caro book/COTH GFF thread/Caro cook/COTH GFF thread...
    Last edited by CVPeg; Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes