The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lots of lurkers!

Looking at this morning's numbers...

There are currently 1270 users browsing this forum. (174 members & 1096 guests).
    Just wondering what's so newsy?
    Or why so shy?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

could it be because the udbb appears to be down this morning?

2 members found this post helpful.

Lots yesterday too. It's sunday, betcha they're wannabe spammers being foiled, Bwahahahaha!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Or maybe they haven't finished their cup of coffee...

I have noticed that it is always about 90% to 95% of the viewers are not signed in.... usually during the day it will be about 1200 to 1300 viewing

Given that may of the threads here turn into bloody battle grounds, I can understand why people would rather watch then jump into a discussion only to told they must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed or worse

However, how many threads can there be about What is the Latest Free Shipping code of Smart Pack.... gee just look at their ad is all is needed

6 members found this post helpful.

I do a lot of looking while not signed in, and then sign in if I want to say something.

5 members found this post helpful.

hey clanter any interest in my equestrian home for returning vets from your contact at the vet dept?

I think that, with so many other web sites out there, there will be more lurkers everyplace and less taking the time to post any one place.
    How we manage our internet time over more choices is part of internet evolution, reflected on COTH as you noticed.

I lurk often I only sign in if I want to reply to a thread, or if I'm reading a thread that has heavy posting by someone I have on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    hey clanter any interest in my equestrian home for returning vets from your contact at the vet dept?
    haven't talked with BIL ...did see him over the hilidays however

Thirding the not signing in til necessary thing. It also depends if i'm on my phone or a real computer.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    Thirding the not signing in til necessary thing. It also depends if i'm on my phone or a real computer.
    Fourthing.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I tend to leave my computer signed in, because I want to make sure I can always explain random houseguests... I mean, because I'm too lazy to log out.

This means I sometimes account for a logged in user and a guest user at the same time, if I'm away from home and reading on my lunch break at work or on my phone.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm also in the I don't sign in crowd. I lurk a bunch- simply because unless I have a question, I generally don't have a lot to offer advise wise I enjoy reading/lurking, because I learn a lot.

Often when you see that many, and not logged in, it's Googlebots or another search engine's spiders crawling the forum and indexing threads.

I lurked over a year, finally got the nerve to sign in and start posting. Its kinda scary, cause I am not computor savy, and I have trouble spelling when I am headachy, or tired, or painful, so I worried about being judged in a cruel manner.

Finally DD talked me into trying this out because I was going bat poop crazy being locked in side so much with winter and all. So mabey some lurk due to lack of guts like me.

By the way Hi everyone!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I lurked over a year, finally got the nerve to sign in and start posting. Its kinda scary, cause I am not computor savy, and I have trouble spelling when I am headachy, or tired, or painful, so I worried about being judged in a cruel manner.

Finally DD talked me into trying this out because I was going bat poop crazy being locked in side so much with winter and all. So mabey some lurk due to lack of guts like me.

By the way Hi everyone!!
    Welcome!

With a name like Hulk, I think it is not you who should be scared.

Cool name.

Bluey, thankyou for the welcome. And the name is because I am much like the fictional character. I am very mild mannered, and only get mad about once every 5 years, but when it happens, lets just say its not pretty.

1 members found this post helpful.

One of the legion of lurkers checking in to verify that I am not a spam bot!

I only sign in when I post and I only post after I've read; therefore, I rarely have time to post! This is my second sign-on account. I've been lurking on these boards for over ten years and I've never been able to keep up with it. I think that's a good thing .
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Bluey, thankyou for the welcome. And the name is because I am much like the fictional character. I am very mild mannered, and only get mad about once every 5 years, but when it happens, lets just say its not pretty.

Good to know that.
    Won't have to sit on your head then but once every five years.
    That is good.