The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What high score prize would you like to win?

I'm looking for good ideas for a high-score prize for each of four shows for our local chapter. Looking to spend ~$50 per prize. Exhibitors range from juniors to adults, eventors to western dressage riders, backyard to serious AA's, Intro to UL's...

Prefer practical prizes, as most exhibitors are not chasing trophies.

Ideas and links appreciated! Thanks!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Something useful! I have a lot of wine glass sets, and it's OK if you like that sort of thing. I won a really nice jacket, which I like. How about a nice leather halter and lead? A good grooming set? Horse treats. Buckets. Shampoo. Showsheen. Wormers. Just anything any person with a horse probably needs.

I sponsor high score Born in the USA awards for many shows. Depending on the show--number of entries, CDI or other, I will give engraved or embroidered halters, saddlepad or coolers. Sometimes there is a cash award as well split between owner and breeder.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I like the engraved high ball glasses and the engraved mugs I have from a few local shows. Very pretty and nice to display. Saddle pads are great as well.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Some of the things I'm doing this year (I mix it up between shows and during the series):
    Engraved travel mugs (these were REALLY cheap - less than $10 per mug) - for a really cold show we had I tucked an envelope of hot cocoa into each one.
    Engraved wine glasses
    Embroidered golf towels with a loop fastener (we have a local woman do them and a LOT of people love these - we always do at least one show with them)
    For end of the year awards we do director's chairs with the club logo on the back - you can get the chairs from Schneider's and the same local woman does the embroidery - the back slides off so that she can work with them. These were a little more pricey (like $60) but since they were for EOY awards...
    For Christmas for the kids I did horse ornaments that I got from one of those mail order catalogs - our regular budget is something like $10 per high score awards and those fit nicely and the kids (and adults LOVED those). I try to "theme" the awards - I'm currently looking for something for our Valentine show . For the adults for that show I'll likely do the wineglasses and fill them with a bag of red-hots.

I like the idea of golf towels. Leather halters are always a hit as well.

How about an engraved picture frame (SmartPak has really nice ones!) and a voucher for the show photographer to choose a photo in whatever size they need for it? I bet that would be fairly inexpensive, and something that would be a hit with everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Whips, halters or gift certificates are great.

Sitting fee waived with a horse photographer
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

How about a gift cetificate from smart pak - I believe smart pak will partially sponsor these...

we go back to days when silver cups were awarded... those were nice

I am practical....would like a gift certificate or gift card. One year a tack shop sold them to us for a discount (like 50% off) so our money for awards went a long way. And the winners most likely went there and spent way more than their gift card was for. Make sure it a place someone can buy online if needed.

Gift certificates is a great idea, especially with such a variety of riders at your show. I know I'd be thrilled to get a gift cert to SmartPak or any of my local tack shops!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Given that people and horses come in various sizes, I like the idea of a gift certificate at either a local tack store or a local feed store. Here are some other ideas, too: a bucket of horse treats, embroidered saddle pad (we have someone local who does quite extravagant dressage pad quilting), restaurant gift certificates, a free class at a future show.

My favourites were always the high-quality photo frames with engraved plaques. They look very classy and can be hung in the tack room or anywhere else. They really celebrate the particular horse/rider combo and are less impersonal than other prizes. If you could get photos of each competitor and put them in beforehand, all the better!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I love the cups and small plates even if they are silver plated; had a collection from showing when I was kid. Another suggestion, really, really nice ribbons, you don't see them anymore, everything is so cheap looking now days.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I love the cups and small plates even if they are silver plated; had a collection from showing when I was kid. Another suggestion, really, really nice ribbons, you don't see them anymore, everything is so cheap looking now days.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I love my NEDA wine glasses
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

I don't know if they do this anymore, but Spruce Meadows used to give out stall plate things if you place 1rst, 2nd or 3rd. They could either go on the horse's stall, on a barn brag wall, or many put them on their tack box, or in their house. They were about 4 inches in diameter and had the show logo, year and the placing on them. Something like that to commemorate the moment in a braggish way, plus a small GC or such would be what I would want.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Those stall plates are very nice and very European.

I like an envelope (with $ in it)

There is a restaurant here tht has been very good to me. They give a gift certificate, which encourages people to go out to the restaurant, to take guests, to spend money and act as advertising.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I would love to buy halters, but we have everything from 13h ponies to 18h warmbloods. Even nice saddle pads would be great, but the western folks probably wouldn't want an English pad, and vice versa.

I like the idea of embroidered golf towels and the travel mugs. I also think the gift certificate would be most practical.

I was browsing the SmartPak website over the weekend to get some more ideas. What do you think of these possibilities? Would any of these be something you would be happy to receive?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-...ag--6513p.aspx

http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-...bag-6518p.aspx

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/portab...x?cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/stall-...x?cm_vc=Search

Thanks for all your feedback!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch