The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ground Flax Seed

Quick question:

Can you store ground flax seed in a container in the barn? Or does it need to be refrigerated?

The temps right now don't get much higher than 45, I'd say. I grind the flax about once a week and keep it in a tupperware container.

I guess if it's not above 45* it should be okay. Others here will know more.
    My vet and I just had a similar conversation. She said you can buy it already ground/crushed if you're feeding it for fat calories (EPSM) because you're not worried about the degradation of the omegas. But if you're feeding for the anti-inflammatory effects, then grind whole flax and refrigerate.
    But I know others who simply feed whole flax.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of refrigerating it to keep it good! I feed whole flax now because I thought grinding would be inconvenient, but I have a full size fridge at my barn, so that would be easy! Maybe I'll have to get a coffee grinder!

Triple Crown sells ground flax that has been stabilized. I assume they probably cryo-mill it or something. Anyhow it's not too expensive, I think $30-something for about a 25lb bag, have been feeding that to all my horses for the past month or so.

Someone posted a paper that showed that ground flax seemed to be a lot more stable than conventional wisdom gives it credit for. You could probably Google or Google Scholar it.

Yes, you can probably also refrigerate it. Or just keep feeding it whole like those of us on the Dark Side do! Works fine.
    Click here before you buy.

Feed it whole & you don't need to worry about the inconvenient grinding or the worry that it will go rancid. I've been feeding whole for almost a year and have noticed a significant difference in both skin conditions my mare once had and the texture and sheen in her coat.

Contrary to popular belief, it does not need to be ground...horses DO have teeth :-)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Haha....I grind them cuz I'm a freeeeak I guess. I always thought they got the most benefits from flax when ground but I guess it does make sense since they have grinding teeth.

I grind mine still and leave it at the barn. I do about a week at a time and haven't had any issues. I do maybe 3 days at a time in the summer when it gets warmer (so, maybe 2 weeks. LOL).

i cook whole flax seed in a crock pot. they love it!

I have been feeding whole flax for several years now - there is no need to grind it and bother with the extra mess, storage etc. I get it for $1/pound at the dollar store. Love it!