The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rochester/Finger Lakes area *UD* More info post 4, vet contacts?

I know absolutely zero about this situation beyond what is in the ad, but I have sent an email (too late to call). Really sounds like someone who is way, way out of their league; it was posted in pets to boot.

Such a bad time of year for this sort of thing and it isn't getting better anytime soon. Spread the word, I suppose? Can we use that CoTH voodoo to find some way to help this person and this horse?

Body of ad, no pics:

"free palimino quarter horse to a good home... it is a male and he looks just like a palimino but is a little larger..he needs some time spent with him but does know some voice commands..he is my sons horse but he has moved away and I am to old to go out and feed him anymore"

Number was included and I will send it along to anyone who wants it if the ad gets flagged.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pet/3535993219.html
    Last edited by Rubyfree; Jan. 13, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

"free palimino quarter horse to a good home... it is a male and he looks just like a palimino but is a little larger
    Hm, interesting.

Hopefully somebody can go out there and save him before he starts to loose weight if he hasn't already.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I tried calling this AM and got no answer. Busy day but will attempt another go this afternoon. If anyone raises this individual, I am less than 30 minutes away and would be happy to go scope the horse out.

I have been in contact with the owners sister. The news is not great. 19, stallion, "spirited", "territorial", info on vax and feet was vague. Owner moved to the city and left horse with elderly father and sister who has a history of injuries that make it very difficult for her to interact with a difficult horse on the ground. They have hay for winter but the problem seems to be getting out to feed, and apparently the barn he's housed in is not very sound. He is rideable but it sounds like formal training is a distant memory. Quote, he is "not a kids horse".

Sister and Dad need horse gone ASAP and while they would like a good situation, time is of the essence. I told sis I would spread the word, but she seems to understand the difficulty of the situation. I am somewhat removed from the local horse scene after a few years of inactivity, and if nothing else would like to help Sis & Dad put horse down rather than send him on a fast train north. If anyone has any contacts for local vets who may be willing to do the deed, please message me. I will pay; everyone I know who may have helped is retired.

Sent you some suggestions via PM
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.