The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Barns very, very close to Dallas! Help!!

Posting under an alter....

Recently there have been a lot of changes in my life, both at home and with the horses. I LOVE my current barn, never had a problem making it out there daily in the past, and if I couldn't, I knew he was in WONDERFUL hands...

Unfortunately, neither of those are true anymore.

I need to move him closer to me, I miss seeing him and am not 100% comfortable where I am anymore (don't want to put a lot of details on here) and as being new to Texas I don't know many (any) horse people to ask, so I turned to COTH.

Las Colinas doesn't seem far, anyone have any opinions?
    What about Park Lane Equestrian?

I am NOT willing to drive to flower mound/Aubrey/argyle.

Thanks!

Lotsa threads. Do a search.

I would not recommend either of the barns you mentioned, unless you like no turnout and virtually no hands-on care (think automated livestock feeders at Park Lane—no joke).

If you are not willing to drive to the areas you've mentioned, your options (and the quality of said options) are severely limited. I wouldn't sacrifice my horse's care for time in the car, but that's just me. I made the drive from downtown Dallas to Argyle for several years.

2 members found this post helpful.

PM sent.

Hmm. I have a friend looking in the same area. Are you willing to drive north or south of the city? And what's your budget and list of preferences?

Tha Ridge is right. Those two are not a good idea. You may have to settle for seeing horsey 2 nights a week and weekends. Make friends with other boarders/riders so they'll keep an eye out. You can commute to work, or you can commute to barn. MTM and little MTM wouldn't be on my list either. Ask your vet, farrier and they may know of private barns that are not so far out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the responses!

I am currently driving about 30/40 minutes south of where I am. It's a large barn, with OK turnout, looking for something smaller, but at least something with lights so I could ride would be a plus.

I said no to flower mound/argyle/Aubrey because I had my horse up there for a month, and even with a much more flexible schedule than I had now, I could only make it out 3x/week.

With my new schedule I am only making it out to the barn on weekends, if it was as nice as HiddenAcres suggested and I was making it out there 4x/week, I would have no reason to move.

It's not the actual time spent in the car that is bothering me, it's the fact that if I even have the 1 1/2 hours to spare I am arriving in the pitch black.

Someone asked for a list of preferences, I'm not super picky about anything except good care and honesty about that care.
    I would like a place that is smaller, possibly has an arena with good footing (covered a huge bonus) but lights would be fine. Turnout would be necessary (all day).

I keep my horse at a great place about 35 mins south of Dallas, great care, lots and lots of trails, all day or all night turnout (winter/summer). Our ring isn't covered (nor is the footing super) but there are so many fields to ride in that its not an issue!!

We are currently going thru a barn management change, the former barn manager and his wife were simply awesome. I have yet to meet the new couple, but I'm sure the barn owner picked a good one!

PM me if you have any questions!!

Where, more specifically, do you live? That could help people make recommendations. If you're living near downtown that changes things vs. if you're living up further north, more easily accessible to 635.

I agree, clue us in a bit more on your location. I personally live in Argyle and my office is near downtown Dallas, my drive is 45 min to work. I know for a fact there are plenty of good barns with lighted arenas, turnout, and all you want out here.
    Last edited by Katy9532; Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I cannot spell

I currently live in the M Streets, and work near 635& the Tollway, but for certain reasons am unable to go straight from/to work from the barn, I would need to return to the M Streets first, which has never taken me less than 25 minutes one way (darn you Dallas traffic!)

But, like I said, I am uninterested in going north.

I currently pay $650/month and would like to stay around that price. Thanks

Yeah, if you're unwilling to go north, there's virtually nothing other than mediocre "barns" south of Dallas with either poor footing (black gumbo soil—no thanks!), no trainers, super "backyard"-style establishments, or some combination of the above.

Las Colinas is not going to take much less time than Argyle would and turnout is limited. Park Lane has poor care and no turnout. (And I actually think both of them exceed your budget, crazily enough, whereas in Argyle, you have a multitude of "A"-circuit trainers with gorgeous facilities, great care, and board within your range.)

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm not really looking for a 'show' barn, I do my own thing here, when I was in flower mound for a month I showed and was not overly excited about showing here again. So until I get transferred back home I'm just looking for a safe,quiet place close by- but it seems that isn't really possible!

Well - if you find the hidden gem you're looking for, please be sure to let us know where. I'd love to be able to tell my friend about some place that none of us here on COTH know about.

2 members found this post helpful.

I live in Rockwall and board at Falcon Equestrian Center. They have one outdoor and one indoor arena, decent footing in the outdoor, they have been working on the indoor. Good turnout but it is the yucky black mud which is definitely one of the negatives. Board is very reasonable. From downtown you could take 80 which is a better drive than 30, and much better than 75.

I agree with the comments made about Park Lane. I was there 3 months and would not go back. I will take the black mud over the negatives there any day.

Feel free to pm or email with any specific questions. Good luck in your search.
    Sheila Armstrong

Sure, I've got an idea for a few options for you, some privately owned. Some in the Wylie area. So while not REALLY close to Dallas, close enough. Are you looking for an instructor on property as well?

I'll PM you my work address and we can discuss what you're looking for further. Sadly being VERY close to Dallas is a challenge, if not impossible, but I can give you a few options.

I work near where you live (think Mockingbird Station) and I understand the frustration of that drive. My pony is currently in Aubrey but he's happy as a lark and there's no way I'm messing with that.

PM sent. Hope you find the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by AlterTops View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned I'm not really looking for a 'show' barn, I do my own thing here, when I was in flower mound for a month I showed and was not overly excited about showing here again. So until I get transferred back home I'm just looking for a safe,quiet place close by- but it seems that isn't really possible!
    Are you willing to compromise on some of your needs? Like lights since the days are already creeping a bit longer and daylight savings will be back in March?

I don't know where back home is or how long you have been in Texas but...alot of people don't turn out all day down there when it's 104f from June to late August and the bugs are god awful after dark. And many don't irrigate so dry years means standing in dirt. Turn out is not a huge centerpiece for a farm like it is in more friendly climates. Can you give a little there for the right set up??? As long as he can get out and be safe you might have to settle for something less then you would like at most places in the southwest turnout wise.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Are you willing to compromise on some of your needs? Like lights since the days are already creeping a bit longer and daylight savings will be back in March?

I don't know where back home is or how long you have been in Texas but...alot of people don't turn out all day down there when it's 104f from June to late August and the bugs are god awful after dark. And many don't irrigate so dry years means standing in dirt. Turn out is not a huge centerpiece for a farm like it is in more friendly climates. Can you give a little there for the right set up??? As long as he can get out and be safe you might have to settle for something less then you would like at most places in the southwest turnout wise.
    Findeight, I didn't realize you were from the area. Where do you board?

OP, there are barns that maximize turnout and take excellent care of their pastures. Our facility has a ton of turnout, and the pastures are maintained impeccably - aerated, fertilized, etc. Yes, the drought hits our land like everybody else's in the area, but when needed we supplement with round bales. We turn out as much as possible - in to eat, if it rains, and in the heat of the day. However - we're in Aubrey, one of your excluded areas.

While we have the attention of the Dallas people, may I hijack this thread to ask if you guys can recommend an equine photographer? My horse is in the Flower Mound area, and I need professional pictures. Thanks!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    This just isn't true. Ours went out all night during the summer and we always had grass without irrigation, even in the dead of summer. Texas isn't Arizona or Southern California. Every barn I was ever at in Texas had lots and lots of turnout, except for the two the OP mentioned in her initial post, so yes, it is a "centerpiece."