The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Camping at Rolex

I'm heading up to Rolex this year with a couple of my classmates to volunteer in the vet box, and we were hoping to camp at the horse park. Of course there are no sites available as of right now. Anyone out there have room for an extra tent? Or need to cancel a reservation? I would happily take over a reservation so someone doesn't have to pay the cancellation fee!
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.
    ~Francois Robichon de la Gueriniere

If you're tent camping you should be fine in the primitive section--it's just on the south side of the east loop. You still have access to all the facilities and it is cheaper.

I looked into the campgrounds last month and at that point they were sold out.

The site is here:

http://kentuckystateparks.reserveame...&parkCode=khsp

Looked again. Still sold out.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

The problem with the primitive campgrounds is that they are first come, first served, and you can't reserve them. I would hate to arrive after a 12 hour drive only to find that we don't have a place to pitch our tent.
    The knowledge of the nature of a horse is one of the first foundations of the art if riding it, and every horseman must make it his principal study.

Check out Good Ol' Days Barbecue Farm in Versailles (actually half way between Midway and Versailles). I know their BBQ is awesome (used it for our rehearsal dinner amongst other things!) and know they offer camping. I have no idea what their setup is, but it would be fairly convenient (~20 min) to the Horse Park. They don't have a website, but do have a FB page.
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: More info
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelurus View Post
    The problem with the primitive campgrounds is that they are first come, first served, and you can't reserve them. I would hate to arrive after a 12 hour drive only to find that we don't have a place to pitch our tent.
    Call and ask, but I don't think they sell out. Primitive electric will fill up, but you should be good in regular primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Call and ask, but I don't think they sell out. Primitive electric will fill up, but you should be good in regular primitive.
    Thanks for the tip, LAZ!

we always camp in the primative camping...its a walk to the bathrooms but its worth it!!! and i'll appologize now for our laughter and large fire.

Continue checking this board mid-March into April. Often, when someone has to cancel their site last-minute, you will find a posting here, offering to switch the reservation to a trusty COTH member.

Quote Originally Posted by EventMo View Post
    Continue checking this board mid-March into April. Often, when someone has to cancel their site last-minute, you will find a posting here, offering to switch the reservation to a trusty COTH member.
    Thanks for the tip!