The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Out in The Country

Default Cross Country Bit Question

I have a WB cross who goes in a KK in dressage and he actually does well in it jumping. He is not green and we do fine XC but he can be a little bit of a bully and all my other horses go in snaffles. He only gets this way XC - he just gets excited and he seems to be having a lot of fun - he has schooled a ton and shown a bit.... more dressage only than eventing though he is really more event horse than dressage.

Point is - for those of you on big boned, strong horses that tend to get up for XC - what bits do you switch to? I like to ride in light soft bits all the time. He did go in a full cheek Dr. B XC at our last event but he made no difference. I thought about putting him in a running martingale but again, I am a less is more person - so I am asking what you all do first.

Triangle Area, NC

add a kineton noseband?
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Does he throw his head up and scoot or pull down on the bit?

North Carolina

Agreed with BMU's question. I loved an elevator for my front-heavy appendix, I could lift him very lightly and he graduated up the rings as he got mileage; french mouth so not severe. MY OTTB though, just bears down on it and it does nothing except allow me to stop in less than the 1/2 mile it takes in snaffle (only running XC), so trying a pelham on him.

Point: there are different solutions depending on the type of resistance encountered.

Agreed it depends if he's pulling and getting heavy, or just throwing his head up or to his chest and running. My friend with a heavy horse is having good luck with a myler combination with a port. My horse prefer to throw his head up, lock his neck and run. I recently switched to a soft rubber pelham and it seems to be working nicely. I can ride off the snaffle, and then have the curb if he gets strong.

My mare used to lean and just refuse any downward transitions. I use a slow twist and it works very well although I am hoping to transition to a french link sometime soon.

too far from the barn

Again, depending on the bad habit, my next move tends to be one of:
    running martingale
    Kineton noseband
    KK elevator
    Soft gag or
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

My horse is usually very light in his mouth and I also prefer lighter bits. Once he got confident on xc and really started enjoying himself, he started getting down and heavy. I tried a French link Boucher (with a figure8) and it made ALL the difference. Not a strong bit, just sits differently and we love it