The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pablo for refinement

I heard Pablo mentioned many times as a refining stallion. I have a breeding to use and thinking of breeding my heavy, old fashioned KWPN mare to him. She is a Riverman ISF/Farrington/Beaujolais. Her dam is an imported KEUR mare.

I would like to see what heavier type mares were bred to him, and the resulting offspring, if anyone tried it. Our 2011 Pablo/Rio Grande is very refined with a gorgeous head, but the dam is much lighter than this mare.

I try to track all of the Pablo get that I can as I am a huge Pablo fan! He really is a refining stallion and almost all of his get have his wide forehead and beautiful eye placement. My Pablo, Palomar, had a bit of buck in him when he was first backed under saddle, but it was just playing. He settled to become a solid performer with beautiful form over a fence and lovely movement under saddle, though not particularly long strided. His dam was a Diamont mare out of a very refined TB so I don't have too much actual experience evaluating his effect on a heavier, more "old fashioned" type of mare but I would expect a lot of refinement.
    I have photos of Palomar with his dam in my FB photo albums labeled 2008 HORSES.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians: Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

I used him on a 17hh Dutch mare to refine and hopefully downsize a few inches. My coming five year old is 18.1, but fairly refined for such a big boy. Obviously, the downsizing part failed. I blame the mare as I've seen many Pablos on the smaller side. He seems consistent at passing on a pretty head.

Edgar is awesome to work with and very honest about his stallions. I'm sure he could give you some examples of offspring from heavier mares.

2 members found this post helpful.

Edgar is awesome to work with! Just thought I would ask fellow breeders, I saw him in "refinement threads" so often I thought I would get some opinions.

I used him last year on my Diamond Hit mare. She is a large mare who is on the longer side, although I would not call her particularly heavy. The resulting filly is much shorter coupled than the dam and looks like she will be smaller. She is not necessarily refined however.

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    I used him last year on my Diamond Hit mare. She is a large mare who is on the longer side, although I would not call her particularly heavy. The resulting filly is much shorter coupled than the dam and looks like she will be smaller. She is not necessarily refined however.
    I have a coming 6 year old Pablo mare that was out of a very nice, pretty, but not heavy Gold Luck - Weltmeyer mare. In my case, Pablo added a bit of height and changed the shape of the croup. My mare is tall 16.3, and she is very pretty, but not overly refined.

I do not think that Pablo refines necessarily, but often does pretty up the offspring.

You can see photos of my mare (and her dam EM Ghlycerine) on my website

EM Panache
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze85onr/e...2/panache.html

EM Ghlycerine
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze85onr/e...hlycerine.html

My 2011 Pablo gelding is not refined, if anything he looks like he is going to finish stocker then his dam. Everywhere I wanted Pablo’s “help” he came through especially in the head department!! The only “complaint” I have is he was not a filly!! He is SO smart and really quiet, my 20 month old son sits on him all the time and he just doesn't care!! I cannot wait to see him going undersaddle!