The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is there a video of Morning Glory Ilyushin somewhere?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I dont know if there is Gunsmoke frozen still available but he is one I would potentially go to with a TB mare. I loved the purebred filly we had by him. She was neither heavy or coarse (not drafty! in the least)--but had quality bone/substance and very nice gaits and was also very pretty/extremely well balanced. She has subsequently been exported to France with her owner.

I would also consider Ard Celtic Art for a TB cross--he is a very desirable size and my filly by him is a jumping machine (this is her jumping on her own!)--but with the most delightfully easy temperament. The sort a child could easily handle. She is every inch built to jump.

We are planning a TB cross using our own Stallion Wildwych Eclipse to our Pleasant Tap Daughter this season--Eclipse tends to add both quality bone and substance as well as very high ride ability (among other things!). His 5 yo son "Rocky" is currently the USEF/ACPS HOTY for partbreds in the eventing category. He was also selected for the USEA "Safe Harbor" award at the 2012 West Coast Young Event Horse Championships where he placed 4th Overall in a field of really big guns! The "Safe Harbor Award" is presented to the young horse who consistently exhibits the most graceful and rider friendly performance throughout the competition."

I am also still contemplating using my new TB colt (AP Indy Grandson--has an incredible temperament) over one of my Purebred Mares to attempt a more "Blood over Bone" cross. The mare Im considering is a both a Premium Mare with the ACPS and Special Premium with GOV/Weser Ems---she is a purebred Connemara with both excellent breed type and quality gaits (she also show jumps/events) and yes she has a lot of bone and substance. She is by Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire and out of Eastlands Glendearg. Mick is one I would also go to for a TB mare or his son Elphin Cronin (Cronin has a bunch of TB crosses!)

Last edited by goodpony; Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

My halfbred mare, Morning Glory's Belle Fille, is by Ilyushin's sire, Fiddler's Glory Boy (out of a TB mare).

I am very pleased with her as a performance horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskokaLakesConnemaras View Post
    I'm bringing a stallion up to Canada in the spring and standing him here. Morning Glorys Ilyushin. Grandson of Grange Finn Sparrow. You can find more info about him on my website...
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com

Cheers!
    Janet
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I wouldn't go with frozen this year though... *If* I decide to breed her this year, it will have to be a very frugal choice; as inexpensive as possible and fresh so I can do my own repro work.

I *love* Ard Celtic Art! But alas, in the higher price range for me this year.

My mare is a hair under 16 h. She's big barreled and... Oh what the heck, I just love her.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Another stallion you might take a look at is Century Hills Aidan Zodiac he has had some very nice foals out of a variety of mares including some TB crosses I believe. Aedans sire is actually a full sibling to my mare above.

You are probably already aware of this but there may be some added expense to shipping semen across the border (from the US) due to the CEM outbreak back in 2006? I cant remember when that was!---but last I checked there were still restrictions in place.

I really Like Aeden too....

OP you also might contact Drogheda Farm - I know he has a couple Con stallions and he does jumper breeding I believe. He has a full brother to GoodPony's Eclipse I believe.

Eclipse also has a son recently exported to Canada he is not likely available this season (he'll be two this year) but might be next year--and if you like color he is a stunning Golden Palomino Photo is of him as a yearling. He was bred by Windy Isles Farm out of their good imported mare Fairyhill Queen. He should be a very valuable asset to Canada with his pedigree.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the info goodpony.

Yes, I know of the CEM issue. Meh. But this is a good mare so if need be... I'll pay the little extra to handle the CEM stuff. As much as I'd try to keep the fees low, I won't settle for a lesser stallion to avoid the CEM issues.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I looked at that palomino! Thank goodness another Canadian bought him I will look to use him likely in the future!
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Eclipse also has a son recently exported to Canada he is not likely available this season (he'll be two this year) but might be next year--and if you like color he is a stunning Golden Palomino Photo is of him as a yearling. He was bred by Windy Isles Farm out of their good imported mare Fairyhill Queen. He should be a very valuable asset to Canada with his pedigree.
    Thanks for mentioning Jester I had wanted to keep him but he found a perfect match with his new owner. He'll be evented in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does!
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Do you know where he'll be standing?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

This is their website: http://jump4joy.ca--I don't think its been updated in a while (as I dont think he is on there yet) but it does have contact information for the owner. Very nice lady too. The colt should breed/produce very well as he is from excellent breeding lines. I believe she plans to cross him with some of her warmblood mares to produce a smaller sporthorse/pony types.

Belleville area
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I bred a tb mare to Gunsmoke. Lovely mare, coming 9, in Tx, evented to training and schooling prelim. She is actually now just coming on the market from what I understand. Usually 8's on her gaits in dressage.

I bred 2 half breds and one purebred to Top Gun. He does not move like a pony. I do think he does not have as athletic of a jump to him as Gunsmoke or Art. My trak x con crosses, of which one is 4 and the other 1, are stunning. My 4 year old has plenty of bone, but so does her mom. Suspension out the wazoo, scored an 80 at intro. Brave and aimed at eventing. The yearling colt is a special boy indeed.

The purebred filly is also 4, sold her to a dressage home in Indiana. Best moving, horse stride with suspension I have seen in a purebred for dressage. I think so far, I am getting better quality with the babies then the parents, which is what I had hoped for. So far, Top Gun has produced well for me.

Pics on my website of Top Gun and the young stock if you want to see his get.

I expect to see Top Gun out at training level eventing this winter.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

EM - What about staying close to home and looking nearly in your own backyard? I think Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire is still being collected occasionally, and you really cannot top his temperament, or that of his offspring. I had the most lovely little halfbred gelding by him - this little horse would have slept on the foot of my bed and purred if he'd been allowed. He was super correct too, athletic, and just as lovely as anything. His only downfall was that he was little, just 14.3, but the other foals from his dam were small too, so we suspect the lack-of-height came from her side (Mick has thrown some good-sized half breds!).

I'll be trying for my own half bred this season, and have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it all works out!

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for sharing the links/photos--was fun watching the video of your purebred filly. Your purebred mare Lucy (the mother) was just the sort of mare I was imagining would cross really well with this guy! Nice!

I am most interested in looking in my own backyard. Albeit, I'll admit to knowning nothing about the local stallions!

I'll search for this Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

And because I can never resist the chance to share pictures of my little guy...

Hunter pairs over an outside course
    In the hunter ring
    4'0" for the first time
    Playing at home
    Another from at home

2 members found this post helpful.