The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I posted a question in the comment section of the ad, asking how long he has been doing "hunters and equitation" given he was a freebie a month ago. I included a link to the original thread on the Giveaway forum.

I don't know if it will publicly post, or if it has to be approved first.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I posted a question in the comment section of the ad, asking how long he has been doing "hunters and equitation" given he was a freebie a month ago. I included a link to the original thread on the Giveaway forum.

Sheilah
    I posted a similar question as well.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Notice that the ad doesn't say that he has been a driving horse most of his life.
    Nor does the original give-away ad.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Geez... she even used the giveaway pic in her sale ad. Beautiful horse. Altering description- not cool. Offering a lifelong home and flipping- not cool. Flipping a freebie that doesn't stipulate lifelong home- understandable. Asking the owner if they would be okay with re-selling- perfectly fine.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post

Sheilah
    I'm assuming either it has to be approved first, or she deleted it... I can't see it

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    ... Who's to stop someone from posing a question like "Hey, this is the same horse born in 1996 that has been a driving horse all his life, right?"
    Doesn't work that way. I asked a question last week which never showed up, so I assume she gets the questions first and then decides to post it (them) publicly with her answer.

Even if there was a contract, there is not much you can do if she does not honour it. Contracts are for honest people.

I had a pony given to us - when our child grew out of it we got an offer on her and I offered half back to the original owner...who refused it and told us to put it to the college education fund.

We all understand that life's circumstances differ and the horse may have to be moved, but to change the facts is definitely unscrupulous. She took the horse as a spec horse if it is for sale so soon.

If I had given the nice horse away, it would have peeved me, too, the way it was done.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Umm. . . . I've read through every single post here, but I still ask for forgiveness if I've missed something.

Has the original owner of this horse posted here in indignation about this scenario, or is this just yet another COTH crap-fest where no one really knows the real story but just feels the need to start a thread without any real poop to back it up?

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I don't have a problem selling a horse which came into my life legally, free or not.

However, I do feel if there were a contract he not be sold or whatever else stipulations, that should be honored.

The part I feel is truly bad is all the altering going on in the ad. If they know he's not as advertised, someone gets hurt trying to jump him or whatever they do, wouldn't the seller by liable in some way?? Like in misrepresenting the horse?? That is illegal to do so here in OR. If you know, you're supposed to let the buyer know. Enough people know this horse, that surely they know what he is or isn't.

Did that completely. Anytime I have bought a horse or pony, I have always been very upfront with my intentions, as far as my plans for it went. I have "flipped" several horses and ponies, but I didn't really make a lot of money off of them. My main goal was to have fun retraining/rehabbing them, and then to find the perfect buyer for them. Dishonest sellers are everywhere unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Has the original owner of this horse posted here in indignation about this scenario, or is this just yet another COTH crap-fest where no one really knows the real story but just feels the need to start a thread without any real poop to back it up?
    Nothing wrong with this question, but I see a clear discrepancy in age on the new ad versus the giveaway ad. That part is pretty clear, assuming there was not an error in the original giveaway posting.
    The rest appears to be conjecture, though the changing age and other potentially contradictory info leads me to think there is indeed something fishy with the seller/ad.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

dbl post
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Interesting, I noticed this when I did a search on horseclicks: Truth About Mambo
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Interesting, I noticed this when I did a search on horseclicks: Truth About Mambo
    What does it say? The link takes me to the horseclicks page, but it is blank.
    Sheilah

It says:

The Horse advertised here as Mambo#5 was recently advertised (in December) on a "Giveaway" board as:

"Mambo-1994 Hungarian Warmblood. 16.2 hh. Dark bay/brown with white face and leg markings.
    Rides and drives- pair, four in hand lead horse. Has been in pair with Nobility. Has been ridden extensively on trails. Sensitive but sane. Iberian build, super athletic, lovely mover. Could be dressage horse. Best for an experienced rider or driver. Has had lymphingitis in Left Hind leg. Has mild residual swelling in that pastern. Sensitive back, goes great in treeless Ansur saddle with gel pad. Sound for riding and driving. " Sounds like a wonderful horse but there are enough differences between the above, and the ad that was posted, that it is worth pointing out. Buyer Beware.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Sounds like the original owners of the horse have fallen on hard times, and, living near Millbrook, couldn't find a retirement home.

http://www.themillbrookindependent.c...k-wyckoff-dies

It's tough when you're down to your last $54 million!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    And so much righteous indignation on your part Does it really matter what the original owner thinks? I think the OP's concern was on behalf of prospective buyers. And for the horse too. Misrepresented horses often ended up in bad places in the long run

The listing says - sold.
    Seller's videos; http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6303519&type=2

The first video (Jan 2nd) is of Mambo and the rider seems to be thanking an employee of the The Homeland Foundation http://themillbrookindependent.com/n...ndation-part-2 that gave him away when the trustee changed. The Foundation seems to have been a bone of contention between The Stillman family and the late Mr Chauncey Stillman's lawyer (and trustee) who recently died. His widow is now in charge.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The listing says - sold.
    Seller's videos; http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6303519&type=2
    Just looked at her FB profile pics album. Gross.

ETA I also noticed she's FB "friends" with at least one horse rescue (Project Sage in NY).
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Well, It's really not important how long the person had the horse. Not even the profit margin.

However, the changes in description are a serious turn-off!
    Agreed. The dishonesty in advertising aside, who thinks they can set the rules for others regarding how long one can have a horse (or anything else) before re-selling and for how much profit?

Disgusting train of thought, really.

Ok so who's gonna post on her facebook page with a link to this thread so we can all start drinking early?