The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mambo, a giveaway from this BB now $5,000

http://www.horseclicks.com/mambo_5_p.../horses/319002

This horse was part of a give away effort on this BB although he may not have been given to a board member. He was given to Angelica Aversa a month ago who is now selling him for $5,000 using old pictures.

His suitability, soundness, and age have all been altered. Beware when you give a horse away. Beware when you purchase a horse.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jan. 12, 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Uncool.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

link to giveaway ad, please?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

thanks, Laura...I knew that would be of interest to those reading the thread.....So, was he rehomed with an agreement not to resell? Poor guy.....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Nice. Real nice.

seems she's selling 5 others at that same site as well.....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

That is just WRONG to do.
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Awww, man. Not again.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

After reading the original thread, I don't see where he was given away on this BB. He was listed here, but the person that got him never posted here and AFAIK, we have no way of knowing if she is a member or read the ad here. Either way, awful and dishonest thing to do and anyone giving away a horse should double/triple/quadruple check everything and have a contract, but she may well have found him through some other source and never known he was listed here.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Since when is a giveaway automatically a worthless rescue needing a forever home? From reading the original thread, these were giveaways because the owner was just getting out of horses. I agree the seller sounds unscrupulous, but let's hope he ends up in good hands.

My horse was essentially a giveaway (I could have had him for nothing) but I could sell him tomorrow for what the market will bear with no regrets and no obligation to his former owner, an elderly race horse owner with no use for him.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

11 members found this post helpful.

I didn't say anything about him being a worthless rescue who can't be resold.

I think anyone who gets a horse that is probably free then turns around LESS THEN A MONTH later trying to sell it as a younger, sounder, quieter horse for a huge profit is scum. Even if he's not free the seller has had this horse for a month and has altered several details about him yet keeps the original pictures.

It's dishonest and I think that people should know about it.

Since he's being sold as something he isn't he stands a strong chance of sliding further downhill, maybe the next person that sells him isn't going to bother with jacking up his price and ability and just sends him to an auction.

7 members found this post helpful.

yeah...I didn't know? if this seller was the one who originally got him 'free' either, but I do admit, I didn't even catch the age difference listing....maybe? this person isn't the original one who got him off the freebie? Maybe she was duped to the info she has?(or thinks she has?) any chance?
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I didn't say anything about him being a worthless rescue who can't be resold.

I think anyone who gets a horse that is probably free then turns around LESS THEN A MONTH later trying to sell it as a younger, sounder, quieter horse for a huge profit is scum. Even if he's not free the seller has had this horse for a month and has altered several details about him yet keeps the original pictures.

It's dishonest and I think that people should know about it.

Since he's being sold as something he isn't he stands a strong chance of sliding further downhill, maybe the next person that sells him isn't going to bother with jacking up his price and ability and just sends him to an auction.
    Well, It's really not important how long the person had the horse. Not even the profit margin.

However, the changes in description are a serious turn-off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

3 members found this post helpful.

Really a shame. Has anyone contacted the original owner?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I do not believe the original owners are in a position to take the horse back, if you read the original thread these were driving horses that were being rehomed.

Notice that the ad doesn't say that he has been a driving horse most of his life.

2 members found this post helpful.

It is worth a try, contacting the original owner. Perhaps if they cared enough to find the horses homes they care enough to help the horse now as he's being misrepresented.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I noticed there were comments visible under the ad, where someone asked how high he jumped. Who's to stop someone from posing a question like "Hey, this is the same horse born in 1996 that has been a driving horse all his life, right?"

OTOH, given his true age and experience, he would be more of a rescue needing a forever home...
    A helmet saved my life.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I do not believe the original owners are in a position to take the horse back, if you read the original thread these were driving horses that were being rehomed.

Notice that the ad doesn't say that he has been a driving horse most of his life.
    It does say he has been trail ridden extensively.
    A helmet saved my life.

I don't have a problem selling a horse which came into my life legally, free or not.

However, I do feel if there were a contract he not be sold or whatever else stipulations, that should be honored.

The part I feel is truly bad is all the altering going on in the ad. If they know he's not as advertised, someone gets hurt trying to jump him or whatever they do, wouldn't the seller by liable in some way?? Like in misrepresenting the horse?? That is illegal to do so here in OR. If you know, you're supposed to let the buyer know. Enough people know this horse, that surely they know what he is or isn't.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!