The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The EPA has been doing fly-bys around cattle facilities to be sure they are complying with several rules of permitted numbers, containment of waters, etc.
    It is cheaper than sending inspectors on foot everyplace.

They also use satellite maps for that.

Have not heard any other agency being very nosey around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Perhaps she is getting government aid. There are properties that I think are under "open spaces", where they get a tax break in exchange for allowing the public onto their land - and the land can only be sold for agricultural usage.
    One you let the camel's nose under your tent..
    In NJ farms that receive 'land preservation' status are subject to yearly inspection. You get a chunk of $$, depends upon land size, but six figures are not uncommon. Also depends upon the program, there are diff programs at diff levels of government.

The land preservation people do come to 'my' farm once a year for a strut around session. They were also around clearing hiking trails behind the neighbors property this past spring. (Horses are NOT allowed on this new preserved park area. So I've decided the land preservation people suck.)

There is also a 'wildlife management area' surrounding our farm. As in, folks with guns shootin' stuff up all weekend. It's lovely, really. Bear hunting season (like one day, I think?) was particularly muzzleloading, fire from the shoulder, fantastic....

1 members found this post helpful.

This is fun but, as an attorney and horse-farm owner, I recommend demanding a warrant for anything that amounts to a search. Private companies with whom you have a contract, like the electric company, of course have your permission to come on your land and that is entirely different from any local, state or federal agency.

Exceptions to the 4th amendment are few and far between and aren't automatically granted simply because one says so. Having a badge is actually the first sign that this person needs a warrant. Your fellow citizens can't violate your constitutional rights. That's why you don't have a free speech right on Facebook. It is exactly the ones who pretend they don't need a warrant--the government--who in fact must get one under the 4th amendment to search or seize your property.

Exceptions do exist such as for searching a car where probable cause exists that it contains illegal contents (due to the mobile nature of cars, can't really wait around for a magistrate to issue a warrant).
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    Maybe it used to be a dairy farm and has silos. The military has silos for missiles, so it makes complete sense that they would want to inspect her farm that also has silos. Tangledweb's theory about the tin foil has a lot of merit too.

uuummmm..... A missile 'silo' is a vastly different beast from a corn or silage 'silo'. I've been in both kinds; the only commonality is that both are round tubes, one above ground, the other below.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I live in PA. I know dozens of people who own horse facilities, ranging from a few acres to hundreds. This is the first I've heard anything like this. I call BS.
    Ditto.

My friend says (claims actually) that this woman isn't crazy. I'm starting to wonder about my friend.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My friend says that this woman isn't crazy.
    hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

There HAS been a shortage of tinfoil in the stores lately......

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    There HAS been a shortage of tinfoil in the stores lately......

ReSomething has flyovers looking for marijuana! We used to have that every late summer, too, because while the crops were ripening and trees turning yellow the MJ was still bright green and could be spotted easily by air.

But now with several crops a year and all the rain - they have gone indoors.

We have greenhouses and and a retail nursery, so at least once a year some casually dressed men with little clipped mustaches and tidy haircuts come strolling through, and when asked if they can be helped, they just say they are just looking and stroll out.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    This is fun but, as an attorney and horse-farm owner, I recommend demanding a warrant for anything that amounts to a search. Private companies with whom you have a contract, like the electric company, of course have your permission to come on your land and that is entirely different from any local, state or federal agency.

Exceptions to the 4th amendment are few and far between and aren't automatically granted simply because one says so. Having a badge is actually the first sign that this person needs a warrant. Your fellow citizens can't violate your constitutional rights. That's why you don't have a free speech right on Facebook. It is exactly the ones who pretend they don't need a warrant--the government--who in fact must get one under the 4th amendment to search or seize your property.

Exceptions do exist such as for searching a car where probable cause exists that it contains illegal contents (due to the mobile nature of cars, can't really wait around for a magistrate to issue a warrant).
    Good answer. The Patriot Act does have some Constitutionally dicey stuff in it but most of that is regarding electronic surveillance, communications intercepts, etc.

Of course, given the Administration's rabid anti-gun tirade, expect Biden's Gun Police any time, now.

If a farm is a business then the "regulators" have a much larger power of legal, warrantless entry than if it's a purely private enterprise. State officials often have a broader right of entry than Federal ones (as odd as that often sounds). So you have to keep an eye on your state's intrusive policies as well as your Federal Civil Rights.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    uuummmm..... A missile 'silo' is a vastly different beast from a corn or silage 'silo'. I've been in both kinds; the only commonality is that both are round tubes, one above ground, the other below.

*star*
    This was tongue-in-cheek, like the tin foil theory.

Foxtrot, the funny (I guess) part about that is that I moved from the North Coast of CA, big marijuana growing area full of hippies and whackos, to bible thumping moral KY and I got to watch the choppers going back and forth about four miles away last summer as they'd found a patch.
    Vivid green, it's supposed to be easy to spot once you've been told what to look for, and there really isn't anywhere on earth nowadays that doesn't get aerial surveillance at least every couple of years. I've got county GIS photos from I think 2010 and google earth photos from 2011 - I have dateable changes in my layout and the photos clearly show the expansion of the pig area and the installation of two paddock fences (plus you can see the pigs and the horses).

We did have the PVA/Assessor show up on the property a few months ago, but their truck is clearly marked, by and large we don't get visitors as we aren't running a roadside operation, by that I mean we don't advertise for sale to the general public - well, we do, via CL and word of mouth but we don't maintain a standing inventory and have it in any kind of storefront.

Completely not horse related, but years ago a small vessel carrying bales of marijuana decided that the best place to offlead their product would be at the end of a busy pier serving the Herring fleet in SF Bay - hide in the crowd, was the idea I guess. They got busted faster than you can say "fisheries observer" - there's a representative of the DF&G present at most commercial fisheries offloading points and the guy or gal trotted down there to check out this unknown boat, got shooed away and called it in - not to mention everybody spotted the stranger, it was a permit only fishery.

Back to the OP's question, there is a huge amount of regulation in some industries - say trucking - but it's easily verified. I won't argue yes and no about little green men walking on this person's farm, but somewhere there's a ton of paperwork to go with it, crazy lady needs to show Gullible Friend the contracts or whatever and settle the question.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I was told by a farmer's market friend, veteran and Baptist minister, who also runs a small farm for beef and pork in nearby NC that his friend/acquaintance got a job with some gov't agency, got some training and came back to "brag" to him (his words not mine) that he could come anytime and seize all of his farm's assets if the gov't "needs" them. To say the least my farmer friend was not pleased and told this gentleman, "over my dead body" will you take my animals, etc...

I'm not sure who this man worked for but I do believe that my friend was telling the truth. I don't think its in him to lie. Now could he have his facts twisted.??..yes for sure. Since Obama signed an executive order basically stating that the gov't can seize any assets they want in an "emergency," I think that is what he was talking about.

I've been inspected by the State of Virginia for my poultry meat/eggs operation in order to get a Virginia Poultry Producer exemption that will allow me to sell up to 20,000 birds to consumers directly. This inspection was something I initiated though to help further my business opportunities as this allows me to label my products differently and gives consumers an idea that I have had to meet certain standards.

So far as I know, no one cares much about the horse part of my farm operation since I'm not selling them to people as food.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    This was tongue-in-cheek, like the tin foil theory.
    Hard to tell these days, with all the various flavors of 'government conspiracy' theories floating around the Interwebs ....

*Star*

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I was told by a farmer's market friend, veteran and Baptist minister, who also runs a small farm for beef and pork in nearby NC that his friend/acquaintance got a job with some gov't agency, got some training and came back to "brag" to him (his words not mine) that he could come anytime and seize all of his farm's assets if the gov't "needs" them. To say the least my farmer friend was not pleased and told this gentleman, "over my dead body" will you take my animals, etc...

I'm not sure who this man worked for but I do believe that my friend was telling the truth. I don't think its in him to lie. Now could he have his facts twisted.??..yes for sure. Since Obama signed an executive order basically stating that the gov't can seize any assets they want in an "emergency," I think that is what he was talking about.
    Referencing some of the 'various flavors of crazy' on the loose these days, this one regarding the Executive Order is of the "you really need to read all the details before rabbiting down a conspiracy trail" variety. See Snopes for the particulars:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ndrp.asp

*star*

1 members found this post helpful.

you may want to put that tin foil hat back on as

a 1984 Supreme Court case called Oliver v. United States, in which a majority of the justices said that "open fields" could be searched without warrants because they're not covered by the Fourth Amendment.

I sent my "friend" Lex's comments and she's gone quiet. LOL.

Well, our sheriff, that happens to be our closest neighbor, has our lock code in his files already.
    So does the fire and EMT services, so does the USDA offices and they are all welcome to come in any time they need to.

Any one other found trespassing WILL be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    Even little, short legged green men with big eyes and funny hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	37507  
    Last edited by Bluey; Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    Referencing some of the 'various flavors of crazy' on the loose these days, this one regarding the Executive Order is of the "you really need to read all the details before rabbiting down a conspiracy trail" variety. See Snopes for the particulars:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ndrp.asp

*star*
    You are aware that snopes is not an unbiased site aren't you? A simple google search will turn up plenty of sources on that one. Factcheck.org is another one of similar leanings.

Not saying your above info is wrong but I don't use snopes anymore for that reason. I recall an article from somewhere on Obama's executive orders and how often he's done it to bypass the Congress rather than negotiate with them.