The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Conspiracy theory or true?

I had a little gun ownership discussion going on facebook, and one of the participants tells me that she has a horse farm in PA. She says that because of the Patriot Act and Homeland Security, she is forced to allow DHS to inspect her property and inventory her equipment, and they have done so, and continue to do so..

Is there a hint of truth to this?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I had a little gun ownership discussion going on facebook, and one of the participants tells me that she has a horse farm in PA. She says that because of the Patriot Act and Homeland Security, she is force to allow DHS to inspect her property and inventory in case of emergency to allow them to use her property and buildings.

I am thinking BS.

However, in cases of emergency government has always made use of privately owned facilities....

I am going to ask my fav group of nutters about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Thanks Alagirl. Sounds like nutter talk to me, but she has someone else convinced too. I have friends with farms right outside of DC, no one has ever mentioned anything like this...and I'm sure they would.

That has GOT to be BS.

Did she say that they actually have come to inspect/inventory or that (she suspects) they could if they wanted to? I bet she heard that from some other nutcase and just believed it.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I have no clue, but there is a possible precedent.
    If you own a vessel of over a certain size, something like seven net tons cargo carrying capacity I forget exactly,or roughly 35 feet long if it's deep and wide, you can have the vessel federally registered, usually called documented. Your vessel becomes a portion of the sovereign United States and as such, is entitled to protection while engaged in lawful commerce (including the harvesting of shell or finfish) in any waters.

By becoming documented you also agree to permit the use of your vessel for whatever purpose the US government sees fit in the event of war - so when those fabulous ocean liners stuffed dozens of troops into their ballrooms for transport during WW2, they weren't necessarily doing it out of patriotism.

Is she perhaps getting confused about that farm census that we're all having to fill out about now? I can't believe she is right without having her come up with a citation - apart from "so-and-so says".
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Whoops, I clearly wasn't reading for comprehension.

Since they apparently have before, ask her to see the paperwork. Or maybe she'll invite you next time they come??

1 members found this post helpful.

She says they do. And she has to fill out all kinds of forms. I think she's a whacko and her friend is very, very gullible.

We've been inspected by our meat packing company to ensure that we meet their standards for pastured pork and we, along with eveybody else that has better than 10 acres in this county, thus qualifying for a "farm", are filling out some farm census right now, but Department of Homeland Security? Rly?? The closest thing we get to that is the marijuana fly overs during August.
    Incredible Invisible

Horse farm, not cattle farm. I think she's probably nuts. Cuckoo, cuckoo. I've got the same census, ReSomething.

Yeah, but who is wandering through her - I mean "inspecting" her farm then? Harvey? Little green men?
    Incredible Invisible

I just can't imagine they spend their time going through every horse farm and doing inventory. What a freakin waste of time.

ReS-no it's the black helicopter crowd from our government and the UN. The pilots aren't really human, but alien androids that are directly connected to the electronics of the aircraft. People actually believe this, and I'm not kidding.

There are also inspections if you live in big marijuana growing locations, and are noted going into areas where they have found a pot farm. The anti-drug people used turn the aircraft in their search patterns where I lived. You learn to distinguish the sound of those aircraft from the regular flights very quickly. You could always tell when it was safe to plant garden seedlings, because it was growing season when the planes started scanning.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I had a little gun ownership discussion going on facebook, and one of the participants tells me that she has a horse farm in PA. She says that because of the Patriot Act and Homeland Security, she is forced to allow DHS to inspect her property and inventory her equipment, and they have done so, and continue to do so..

Unless she has ties to drug running organizations or anyone believed to be engaged in the moving or procurement of illegal weapons and drugs or with terrorist leanings, it's not likely that she is telling the truth. What she claims is 100% plausible under The Patriot Act if you use boolean logic after snorting half a kilo of Colombian Cocaine, but her claims of regular rectal rooting by DHS are about as realistic as my being 6'3 and African-American. DHS is more of an administrative agency than straight law enforcement and they don't have guys running around with guns and badges doing what she describes as that falls under the areas of agencies that are outside DHS control but might work with them as the DHS agencies focus on external matters around the borders for the most part. If she's getting searched, it's going to be the FBI, DEA, or ATF and they would be looking for guns, drugs, or explosives. DHS has occasional presence in such matters but they focus on terrorists for the most part. The only other possibility is that she is in possession of some sort of equipment or goods - what that would be on a farm I couldn't begin to guess - that is tightly regulated or controlled because it could be used for nefarious purposes. If she has large stockpiles of fertilizer or other dangerous things and she's down the road from some Federal property that is a potential target, that's one reason why she might get the occasional visit but that's still very unlikely.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

5 members found this post helpful.

Presumably when they inventory her equipment they record that she goes through tin foil at an unusually high rate. It takes a lot to line all your riding helmets with it.

22 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps she is getting government aid. There are properties that I think are under "open spaces", where they get a tax break in exchange for allowing the public onto their land - and the land can only be sold for agricultural usage.
    One you let the camel's nose under your tent..

The particular scenario doesn't strike me as valid- but we DID give up some rights under the Patriot Act. Just as we cheerfully gave up rights during depression/WWII. Americans have a history of doing the 'sheep' thing in response to major crises.

6 members found this post helpful.

If you google Homeland Security and horse farms, there is a few interesting tidbits. like when DHS did a study on bio hazards (equine diseases) with some Kentucky Horse Farms, and immigration insp, and buying up farms along the border etc.
    Maybe there's some study going on and the woman just has the facts mixed up.

was looking at the line items of Homeland Security's budget and there was an interesting section regarding horses...

6 USC Sec. 453c 01/03/2012 (112-90)

-EXPCITE-
    TITLE 6 - DOMESTIC SECURITY
    CHAPTER 1 - HOMELAND SECURITY ORGANIZATION
    SUBCHAPTER VIII - COORDINATION WITH NON-FEDERAL ENTITIES; INSPECTOR
    GENERAL; UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE; COAST GUARD;
    GENERAL PROVISIONS
    Part H - Miscellaneous Provisions

-HEAD-
    Sec. 453c. Disposition of equines unfit for service

-STATUTE-
    None of the funds made available in this or any other Act for
    fiscal year 2012 and thereafter may be used to destroy or put out
    to pasture any horse or other equine belonging to any component or
    agency of the Department of Homeland Security that has become unfit
    for service, unless the trainer or handler is first given the
    option to take possession of the equine through an adoption program
    that has safeguards against slaughter and inhumane treatment.

I live in PA. I know dozens of people who own horse facilities, ranging from a few acres to hundreds. This is the first I've heard anything like this. I call BS.

2 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it used to be a dairy farm and has silos. The military has silos for missiles, so it makes complete sense that they would want to inspect her farm that also has silos. Tangledweb's theory about the tin foil has a lot of merit too.