The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Watching him race, I'm not sure I'd call him a "trail horse" He was pretty cranky about being pulled up in that last one!

Barclay Drive is just beautifully bred for sport, though. Not sure how sound he is with those ankles--could really go either way!--but he should certainly be a fun one

Could it be L14589? Letter is nearly impossible to see. Then it could be several numbers, The 4 is clear, 5 is pretty clear but could also be a 6. The next could be 8 or 2, the last 9 or 0. So that is a lot of combos I am trying to work with. LOL

He's a TB that is not a Standardbred, plus USTA has been using freeze brands for almost 15 years now.

If you dry his lip off well and use a black light you can lift hard to read numbers/letters. I wish TBs used a better system them lip tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    I highlighted it for you so you can see where the letter is located. It is faded, but it is there. Simkie is 100% correct. One letter, five numbers except on quite aged horses.]
    Thank you Furlong. It must be my screen, but I still can't make it out, even through the outline.. Oh Well.

I was only trying to report on -what I saw- and help a bit.

Thank you everyone for your help, at least we know "who" he is now!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Whoever he is, treat him for ulcers. You will both be happier.
    We are definitely going to treat him for ulcers. I'm hoping that will help his grouchyness!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Here is Barclay Drive's last race: http://replays.robertsstream.com/rac...1208181433CBD1 (He's the five horse)

And the last one that he won: http://replays.robertsstream.com/rac...1102252306HUN8 (He's the eight horse here)
    Thank you so much for your help, and digging up some info/video for me. Though I'm sad to say the video links don't work for me for some reason? And I found the races on thoroughbredtimes.com too but all I get is a blank box/no video playing? I made sure we have the current Adobe Flash, I don't know why I can't get the video to play. Would love to see them!
    The big plan is to get some weight on him, treat him for ulcers, get to know him better and then find him a home. I don't need an extremely tall ornery gelding myself but hopefully he's exactly what someone else is looking for.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I dunno, August is almost six months ago--not an unreasonable time to be out on trails for some! Especially as that rarely involves trying to push them, frame them up, bend, carry themselves, etc--some retirees are happy to be asked to do something that mostly involves ambling!