The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TB tattoo help?

I bought a OTTB gelding at our last local horse auction. He's thin, he is a devoted cribber and he's cranky. I call him "Tall, Dark and Hateful".

I took some pictures of his tattoo, was wondering if anyone could take a look and help us ID him? I can email the pics.

If we're right on his tattoo, then he's a horse called "Brassie Prince". But I certainly could be wrong. It appeared to me that Brassie Prince was last raced in 2011.... but I bought this gelding in Dec. 2012 and he still had 3 aluminum shoes on, and a toe-clip (?? Can't remember if that's exactly what our farrier said?) on the back shoes, she thought he'd probably worn those shoes when he raced, though I'd think he should have been raced in 2012 if that was the case?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Yep! Post some pics. Let us at it I love trying to find hits!

(Toe grab, maybe? That would certainly be indicative of coming off the track recently. Although he doesn't have to have recent races to still have been at the track, if they were trying to get him back to the races.)

1 members found this post helpful.

Simkie- thank you! I sent you a PM.

Yes, toe grab is what it was. I hadn't thought about the possibility of him being in work but not actually raced this year- that would make sense if he's the horse I think he is and would explain the racing shoes/no 2012 race records.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Can you post picture of the tattoo? What are his markings?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/brassie+prince

You have probably seen this, but he must be nice looking - a grandson of Storm Cat.

BRASSIE PRINCE (USA) dkb/br. G, 2003 DP = 3-1-6-0-0 (10) DI = 2.33 CD = 0.70 - 78 Starts, 15 Wins, 10 Places, 5 Shows Career Earnings: $179,830

Years ago, Hub#1 and I had a TB, at what was then called Longacres (now Emerald Downs). They would have left racing plates on him until the decision to take him off-track was made.

About the cribbing, I found a site that looks interesting. Haven't tried it, but seems like if used correctly, it might be the thing, at lease for youngsters just starting to crib. I'd be interested in any thoughts others might have.

http://www.barclayscollar.com/shop/index.php

Video:
    http://www.barclayscollar.com/shop/i...iewDoc&docId=9

All right, here are pictures:

http://s155.beta.photobucket.com/use...e/library/COTH

No markings!

1sock, you're guessing he's about 10 this year?

I get Barclay Drive:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...325&registry=T

He last raced in Minnesota in August of 2012, so perhaps a better fit than Brassie Prince.

Here is Barclay Drive's last race: http://replays.robertsstream.com/rac...1208181433CBD1 (He's the five horse)

And the last one that he won: http://replays.robertsstream.com/rac...1102252306HUN8 (He's the eight horse here)

I also get Barclay Drive. IMO, the 14620 is clear as day. Hard to make out the letter on those images but I see what could be ghost of a G.

I think it looks like I4680. Or maybe I4580.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetep View Post
    I think it looks like I4680. Or maybe I4580.
    One too few numbers. That first digit is probably a one, not an I. The letter is terribly faded and really not visible at all.

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/...eskTattoo#tips

There is a link on this page, where the Jockey Club will help you research information on the tattoo. Look under the bold print "Need help with a difficult tattoo?" and fill in the form. They will email you what results they get.

Whoever he is, treat him for ulcers. You will both be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    One too few numbers. That first digit is probably a one, not an I. The letter is terribly faded and really not visible at all.
    First one on a TB is always a letter, designating year of foaling.

First one on a TB is always a letter, designating year of foaling.

Yes, I am well aware. I stated that I felt the letter on this tattoo was too faded to read.

I also stated that four numbers was one too few.

I also stated that four numbers was one too few.
    From the JC web page:

"A Thoroughbred tattoo is a letter followed by four or five numbers. The letter represents the year of foaling (see chart). Note: In tattoos that contain five numbers after the letter, the first number will be from zero to five.

The only exception to the letter is a foreign-born horse that was imported into North America. It will have an asterisk (*) in front of its tattoo."

From the JC web page:

"A Thoroughbred tattoo is a letter followed by four or five numbers. The letter represents the year of foaling (see chart). Note: In tattoos that contain five numbers after the letter, the first number will be from zero to five.

The only exception to the letter is a foreign-born horse that was imported into North America. It will have an asterisk (*) in front of its tattoo."
    Sigh. Are you really going to push this issue?

Horses over *26* years old have four numbers. Horses under 26 have five.

I would think that 1sock would know the difference between a 10 year old horse and one that was 34, don't you?

A 34 year old still in racing plates would also be quite impressive.

2 members found this post helpful.

Please show me from the JC, where what you say is the case. A horse with an I letter could have been born in 2005, or 1979. On this one, I'm guessing 2005.

Not here to argue.. I have provided links to the JC page, which is, IMHO, the best place to look for JC registration information. Please, let's play nice, ok?

Edit: Ok.. But there are some notes:

"6. My horse's tattoo has fewer than five numbers, or the letter is after the numbers. What does this mean?

Most Thoroughbred tattoos are one letter followed by five numbers. Some Thoroughbred tattoos have four numbers, which indicates the horse is older than 25. Other breeds also tattoo racehorses on their upper lips. A Quarter Horse tattoo consists of four or five numbers followed by a letter, and a Standardbred tattoo consists of one letter followed by four numbers. "

Could this guy be a Standardbred?
    Last edited by Hetep; Jan. 12, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Found more data

I highlighted it for you so you can see where the letter is located. It is faded, but it is there. Simkie is 100% correct. One letter, five numbers except on quite aged horses.

http://www.furlong47.com/pics/gtat.jpg

Not sure what to tell you hetep. The Jockey Club doesn't seem to think it's important to publish when they went from six registration numbers to seven. The information about aged horses having only four numbers (plus the letter indicating YOB) is certainly out there, but not on their sites.

I'm really not sure why you insist on making this such a point of contention. The horse here has a letter (which is probably faded) and five numbers. It's possible that the letter is I and is followed by five numbers, starting with 4620, but it does not appear that there is room for another number following the 0. It's also tough to find a 46 in 2005, since there were only about 35,000 foals registered in that year. The first very visible character also doesn't look like an I, which IIRC, has a base that goes to the edge of the letter block.

Sigh. Are you really going to push this issue?

Horses over *26* years old have four numbers. Horses under 26 have five.

I would think that 1sock would know the difference between a 10 year old horse and one that was 34, don't you?

A 34 year old still in racing plates would also be quite impressive.
    Thank you so much! It looks to me like you are probably right with Barclay Drive. He was sold as a 10 year old at the sale, and by his teeth that's about right. He is definitely not 34. Of course, he was also sold as a "trail horse" and I am guessing that is a bit of a stretch if he last raced in August.......

There are 6 visible characters in the tattoo- the letter is very faded but is definitely there, and followed by 5 numbers. I was seeing the "2" as a "8", but now that 2 was suggested I can see that as well. Plus he was last raced at Canterbury, here in Minnesota. I couldn't find a MN connection with "Brassie Prince".