The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how do you keep your waterproof blankets/sheets waterproof?

After trying repeatedly to re waterproof my turnouts...(tried various products etc) I've broken down this year and just ordered two 1200 denier attached neck waterproof turnout sheets. (I prefer the sheets and then use stall blanket/or fleece liners for warmth, since those are easier to wash more often and don't have to stay waterproof)

I want to know: do any of you 'treat' your brand new waterproof turnouts before using/washing with any additional waterproofing?

What are your favorite tried and true blanket wash products that clean well, but most importantly don't wash out the waterproofness?

And finally, do you routinely, at intervals re treat to maintain the waterproofness? i.e...say, after 4 washings always retreat or after each season always retreat,? etc etc? and if so, what do you use?

I'm so tired of an entire collection of nice blankets and sheets that I simply cannot trust or use because they are no longer waterproof!

thanks!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I only wash mine in plain cold water and hang them up to line dry. I put them through several cycles. I may hose them off first if they are really bad.

They are still waterproof after 5+ years.

I believe that the soap will wash out the waterproofing.

I wash mine as little as possible, which I think is key to preserving quality. Also, starting with a quality product (I'm a Rambo fan) is essential. When I wash, I use Rambo Blanket Wash as I feel it does the best job cleaning without adversely affecting the waterproofing. I stay on top of repairs, so a little tear doesn't become a big tear. My blankets get muddy more than anything, so I will brush off the dried mud or do a hose off rather than a full washing machine wash and find that I can usually then get away with just one full wash per season, which does more than anything to keep the waterproofing intact.

I have only treated mine with the spray on Camp Dry stuff after a couple seasons of use. It won't make a non waterproof blanket magically keep out water, but I do think it helps roll the water off the surface so a slightly compromised waterproof layer has a better chance. I have tried the Nikwax wash in stuff once with no improvement, but others swear by the stuff.

I now send mine out to be washed by a pro. In the past I've used Rambo wash and Nikwax in the washer. Some of my blankets are 7 years old and still waterproof.

As a matter of fact, I got all the blankets back, re-proofed the ones that needed it and missed one; pulled the horse in and he was soaking wet. I washed it again in my washer (just a sheet) and used NikWax and it's completely waterproof...all day long in a driving rain.

You do have to clean your washer before and after using NikWax.

Never use soap.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We packaged ours in the show trucks twenty-five years ago... I just checked and they are still nice and clean... it really does not get cold enough to use the Bakers we had to have in Kentucky and rain.... that is so rare the horses want to dance in it

But they are still there just in case.... a few of the Baker Blanlets we have are from the early 1960s... they are as useage now as they were then

A friend of mine told me that they spray their blankets with Thompson Waterseal. The stuff for decks. She says she is VERY happy with the results.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't put in the dryer. That is all I know!

I never truly wash mine. They get hosed down really well in the spring, any really filthy bits get worked over with a brush, dried thoroughly in the sun and stored until fall. The Rhino sheet that I bought used is probably 4 or 5 years old and my Dover sheet is at least 3 years old. Both are getting a lot of use this winter and so far, no leakage. (Knock on wood, of course!)

Someone on another list that I am on has good success with a product called Canvac available at Cabelas. She said one container is enough for a large number of turnout blankets and it does a great job of waterproofing. I'll try that next time.

I've sprayed Nixwax on for the past few years. It does a good job but I need two cans per blanket. The costs add up as I have 8 blankets to do.

I just can't get away with washing mine with plain water - my mare lies in her stall a lot and her blanket soaks up the pee (stalls are matted so are not deeply bedded). After a few weeks they are really nasty smelling and I can't stand it.

I use nature's miracle to wash them then use spray on Camp Dry that I got at the local hunting/camping store. They last quite well using this method.

I don't wash mine, either. They'll get hosed off and brushed before being stored for the summer. I've never had a turnout become un-waterproof, and I don't buy expensive ones. The oldest one I had was probably close to 10 years old before it died a horsey death.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I wash mine as little as possible, which I think is key to preserving quality. Also, starting with a quality product (I'm a Rambo fan) is essential. When I wash, I use Rambo Blanket Wash as I feel it does the best job cleaning without adversely affecting the waterproofing. I stay on top of repairs, so a little tear doesn't become a big tear. My blankets get muddy more than anything, so I will brush off the dried mud or do a hose off rather than a full washing machine wash and find that I can usually then get away with just one full wash per season, which does more than anything to keep the waterproofing intact.

I have only treated mine with the spray on Camp Dry stuff after a couple seasons of use. It won't make a non waterproof blanket magically keep out water, but I do think it helps roll the water off the surface so a slightly compromised waterproof layer has a better chance. I have tried the Nikwax wash in stuff once with no improvement, but others swear by the stuff.
    I do pretty much the same thing. I'm a Rambo fan as well and have some Rambo's that are 13 yr old. When I wash, I usually do a cold water soak, a rinse and spin, another soak and rinse and spin and then wash in cold water with Rambo Blanket wash.

Line dry and then if the turnout is more than 5 yrs old I also use Camp Dry.

I started using Camp Dry 22 yrs ago on stable blankets (not waterproof turnouts)with a nylon exterior and it made them waterproof.

Also wasn't trilled with Nikwax but only tried once as well.

It used to be that I could get a TO completely sprayed with just 1 spray can of Camp Dry but have noticed over the yrs that it now takes about 1 and 1/3 cans. I'm not sure if it's me using more/blanket or the cans hold less. I'm voting for the cans having less in them, just like almost all other products.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have 3 schneiders turnouts that are going on 5 years old. They typically get washed 1-2 per season. I usually wash them in schneiders blanket wash or Dreft Laundry Soap. Once I have washed them, I do dry mine. Supposedly the heat will cause the fibers to melt back together.(I haven't ruined one yet...don't think I could bring myself to dry an expensive TO like Rambo) Then I take the waterproofing spray with the orange lid (from walmart...think it is camp dry) and spray them down. Mine are currently standing in the pouring rain and they are dry underneath.

I only buy Horsewear (Rambo/Rhino/Amigo), and have them professionally washed once per year. Other than that, I put them over the fence and spray with the hose. Oldest is 12 years old and still waterproof.