The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default interstate livestock shipping

the final rule will be in the federal register tomorrow; for those who want an early peek, it's here:

http://www.ofr.gov/(X(1)S(w5dxvsikkr...2-31114_PI.pdf

(do a word search on "horse" to see the various comments they got...)

1 members found this post helpful.

So, without doing an intense study, it looks as if we'll need health certificates any time we cross state lines?

Edited to add - it does look like coggins tests are considered acceptable for these guidelines, which I think are federal. There are still states that require health certificates, New Jersey and Pennsylvania being two that we travel to regularly.

Or not. The more I read, the more confused I get.

Who are they kidding when they say a health certificate costs between $4 and $7.50? I pay $28 if I truck my pony to my vet. And I have to get multiples throughout the season because they only last 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cornersfarm View Post
    Who are they kidding when they say a health certificate costs between $4 and $7.50? I pay $28 if I truck my pony to my vet. And I have to get multiples throughout the season because they only last 30 days.
    yeah, i got a giggle out of that too.

Stupid beyond words.

An look what it does to the person who lives near the state line and just about everything he does is across the line!

And there are lots of us.

And if you are in a very small state like MD, DEck , CN, NH, you are across the line if you step off your front porch.

We just must do something to get our out of control government back under control.

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Protect your privacy. Replace Google with https://startpage.com/

Repeal the 17Th Amendment.
    Senators appointed by the states will end federal mandates that destroy state sovereignty.

Return to the states the control of their schools, medical care, etc.

2 members found this post helpful.

You need to push your states for the 6 month health certificate- Equine Interstate passport. They are recognized by many states out here in the mid-west. When I worked at a vet clinic the doc charged $50 or $75 for that one, I can't remember the exact fee. It was popular with barrel races and endurance riders who were on the road a lot. Here is a link but either is isn't up to date or things have changed because KS, OK and NE did accept them last year. https://www.usrider.org/EquestrianMotorPlan.html

Explains why the USA is upside down right now perfectly doesn't it?? The govt concluded those were the fees horse owners pay for a HC; ideology at $4 verses $28 reality.

this just popped on WTOP:

Va., W.Va. participate in new horse travel permit

Monday - 1/14/2013, 9:20am ET

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia and West Virginia are among more than a dozen states participating in a new interstate travel permit for horse events.

Virginia state veterinarian Dr. Richard Wilkes says the Equine Interstate Event Permit allows horses and their owners to travel to events in participating states for six months. The permit can be used in lieu of a 30-day certificate of veterinary inspection.

The permit can be obtained from an accredited veterinarian.

Other participating states include Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and New York.

Nothing new or bad in here. Coggins is considered a valid substitute of any specific identity, e.g. AIN, brand inspection, tattoo. And the major justification for this is that the horses are transported, ridden or driven, and then returned home (Page 2054).

Also on page 2042, they acknowledge that a majority of horse owners are already in compliance with the laws with vaccination and Coggins.

The only requirement for health certificates is for BREEDER CATTLE (that is the only mention of health certificate in the entire document). And those are already required in the 48 lower states.

The only requirement for health certs is what already exist form state-to-state. Maybe we, out west already are used to all this given the cattle requirements that are automatically placed on horses.