The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not looking to live in a super religious community. Less than 10 acres would be more up my alley, thinking "farmette". I have 12 acres now but not all of it is used. southern Pines does sound nice (read a lot about it here on COTH) but is probably out of my price range. I think when it comes to the nitty gritty details I'll know more after making a trip down. Think a week is enough time to drive around and get a feel for the area?

As far as Tractor Supply, I am management LOL, so it's just picking a store that has an available opening. That's why I'm not too worried about a commute. I just want to live in the area that I'm happy waking up in everyday.

As far as horse feed, I work at Tractor but don't buy my feed there. I currently feed Triple Crown. Would be ecstatic if that was also available in NC! Another question . . . I feed Timothy/Grass hay now, what's common and available in the NC area? I'm not familiar with other types of hay and nutritional content. That is one thing that might make me cry. I get NICE hay right now for $2.50 a 40/lb bale delivered and stacked.

Thanks you again for all the info!
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

There are blue parts of the state and there are red parts of the state with blue folks living there. Irks me when folks paint with a broad brush. I've spent the last year treading water (election year) in a red area...despite the fact we don't agree, folks aren't horrid and ignorant like the Lizard Lick & Moonshiners shows would infer. LOL And the religious thing didn't have a thing to do with it. Folks here are really pretty laid back.

Re: Suffering Pines...there are LOTS of places w/i a short drive that are MUCH more reasonable. SP is like a little Oasis of Horseyness. I mentioned Sanford in an earlier post - it's 25 minutes or so from SP heading towards Raleigh.

Hay - Well, we used to get hay shipped in from PA; timothy @ $2/bale. That was 20 years ago. I WISH we could get that deal again! We feed beautiful, clean orchard grass at $5/#40bale, we haul it out of the barn. Coastal & fescue are also available but we never buy that so IDK what the going rate is. About 5-6 years ago the drought was SO bad we shipped in hay from the Midwest @ $12/bale for 50# bales.

The only part of the state that is going to be tricky for horse-world living is the coastal area(s). Once you get a little to far east of Raleigh stuff sort of dries up. Anything east of SP in the southern part of the state is sort of sparse, as well. The NW corner of the state is sort of meh, too, come to think of it. My sister had a hard time finding anything suitable when she was living in Boone. Otherwise anywhere you go is gonna be pretty good. There are some great trainers & barns in the Triad, Triangle, Charlotte/Meck area and in and around Tryon/Landrum, SC area (super horsey - love the Tryon fire hydrants!).

BTW, did you mention your preferred riding interest? SP has the Foundation and Tryon has FENCE...those are priceless if hacking out is a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by turningpointequine View Post
    Not looking to live in a super religious community. Less than 10 acres would be more up my alley, thinking "farmette". I have 12 acres now but not all of it is used. southern Pines does sound nice (read a lot about it here on COTH) but is probably out of my price range. I think when it comes to the nitty gritty details I'll know more after making a trip down. Think a week is enough time to drive around and get a feel for the area?

As far as horse feed, I work at Tractor but don't buy my feed there. I currently feed Triple Crown. Would be ecstatic if that was also available in NC!
    I'm not sure if any one has mentioned this, but I would also look into the Hillsborough/Mebane area - close to Durham and the Triangle, but a nice affordable area with a lot of horses. Shows are a little harder to get to, but there is at least one schooling show per month within 10 miles.

Triple Crown is available at Southern States, so no worries on that

I definitely think a week should be enough to get a feel for the area - from the north to the south of the state, it's only about a 3 hour drive. I relocated from California for school, so this is certainly a change of pace, but I've loved it so far Feel free to PM if you would like more information on the Durham/Hillsborough/Raleigh area!

I moved from KY to Mooresville, nc two years ago, and just moved to Mocksville (Winston Salem area) two months ago. I pay $525 per month for a 2 bedroom house on 1/2 acre and board at my stable is $375 per month for full care. I love it here, it's really horsey once you get into the local horse scene!

OP - Be sure and look at the Tryon/Polk County area in Western NC, too. It's in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains about 40 minutes southeast of Asheville, a really cool city. We've got horse shows of all kinds (2 existing venues and a new international venue owned by some of the Wellington Partners just announced on about 900 acres), 2 foxhunts and 2 trail systems with miles of trails across some really beautiful terrain. Plus a Hunter-Pace series that runs from September through May, 2x a month. To get a taste visit http://http://www.tryonhorsecountry.org/ and sign up there for the weekly enewsletter "This Week in Tryon Horse Country." Lots of dedicated horse developments with properties from 5 acres and up, as well as private farms of any size. Many boarding options and trainers of every stripe. Definitely worth a look if you're thinking about the Carolinas. If you decide to visit, contact the publisher of Tryon Horse Country - she's the county's economic development director, too, and will give you the personal tour and all the info you'd possibly want. Even if you end up somewhere else, you'll want to know where the Mountains are - it's cooler here in the summer!
    We have TSCs in nearby towns. And yes, you can get Triple Crown here. Fescue is the most common hay grown here but Timothy is easy to get; in fact, shipped in from NY.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Not looking to live in a super religious community.
    ROFL, and you want to move to NC??! Just kidding...sort of. I won't get into that one, hahaha. Anyway, I have lived in many states and other countries and people really are people wherever you go. I am sure a soccer mom in N Raleigh has a much diff't view of things that I do, working for our state wildlife agency in endangered species. Different circles, demographics, all that. Overall, people, particularly southern natives, are friendly and generous.

As for Triple Crown, no worries, I feed that too, there's tons of it and Southern States (store similar to TSC but is co-op owned) is one of their huge dealers. They (SS) also provide a ton of support for our eventing adult riders program, so I'm a fan, LOL!

You can also get any kind of hay you want -- just depends on what you want to spend. My SS in my small town sells nice fescue and some beautiful timothy. We get lovely soft fescue round and square bales at my boarding farm, from VA, and there's equally lovely orchard round bales available not too far away. Or you can go in on a truck load from up north. Another local store also sells a gorgeous tim/orchard mix, expensive but I'll buy a bale occasionally for a horse trial weekend as a treat for horse. But there are many hay suppliers and we are very lucky on that.

ETA -- last hay I saw for $2 a bale was the worst fescue full of leaves and briars I have ever seen. I don't buy my own hay except the occasional bale for travel, my last bale of timothy was I think $6-7. The tim/orchard was $9. I told horse he better eat every bite!

I guess I may be the one dissenter regarding living in North Carolina. I moved to Charlotte from Houston right after I graduated from college. Charlotte has some of the most nonsensical traffic I have ever seen. Absolutely hated driving around the city. I was in my early 20's and did not care for the people I met, very yuppy snobby and put on like they were super cosmopolitan living in the big city of Charlotte. Needless to say coming from an actual big city I kind of had to roll my eyes.

Also had one of the absolute worst boarding experiences there of my life, a place in Huntersville, most ignorant barn management I have ever dealt with.

When I decided to move there on paper it seemed an absolute perfect fit, but reality for me was that I didn't care for it. Not sure your age demographic and marital status, but I also had a hard time dating there...the men, atleast in my age range at the time, were mostly really froufy metro type guys. Personally I like a man on a tractor

So that's my two cents...worth exactly what you paid for it

Not looking to live in a super religious community.
    There is no Sharia based law in NC. So you don't have to worry about super religious. If anybody asks if you have a church, just consider the question an invitation. Just like an invitation to a neighborhood party, you may politely decline without hurting anybody's feelings. The key is politely.

You may be asked a few times since there are many different churches in the area. Each member is encouraged to invite new people. It just seems that you're being bagered when in truth it's just a function of the number of new people you contact each day.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not anti-religion. LOL I believe in God. I just don't attend church and don't talk about religion much as it can end up a heated debate I prefer not to start. I'd be disppointed if I wasn't invited to church since I know as a beliver you are supposed to bring others closer to God. I visited a friend in VA once who lived in a VERY religious town. Dry town in which EVERYTHING revolved around church and people didn't talk about or do much else. That's what I prefer to not move into. It was also a non-horsey area so I had no get-away.

Charlotte . . .bad traffic . . . note taken. LOL I'll try to avoid the actual city if possible then (except of course my one purposeful drive through. Have to at least see it once. ).

I'm 35 and single with no children, and am actually quite happy that way. I work 50-60 hours a week and find when I am dating my horse time diminishes which in turn makes me cranky and stressed. I date so infrequently that I'm not even sure if I'd prefer a man with a tractor or a metro guy. LOL

I have also included northern SC in my search now as well. If I'm making the trip I might as well see everything available. I'm not moving tomorrow but even just the trip down to see the different areas is exciting for me. It feels like one small step of progress in my relocation. I know once I narrowed areas down a bit I am going to get antsy about the actual move. Patience is not my best virtue. LOL
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

Since Charlotte took off when the banks moved in, a huge proportion of its residents are not from NC and it has a very different demographic and feel than even other NC cities. I do NOT miss living there. DTO is right, as I stated earlier, the traffic makes NO sense (I lived in Houston too, LOL!) and the planners don't seem to care beyond "hey, let's put down more concrete!" But it's very much an anomaly in the state, I learned now that my work territory stretches from Mt Airy to Wilmington. I'd move almost anywhere EXCEPT there. Well, and the coastal plain -- it's horrid hot and there's no eventing out there anyway.

I date so infrequently that I'm not even sure if I'd prefer a man with a tractor or a metro guy.
    A tractor guy for sure ...There is no doubt for horse keeping (unless metro guy has enough money to hire a tractor & operator )

Plus tractor guy is more likely to enjoy & support your horses. Just read back the many posts on Trials & tribulations of NON-horsey SO's

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I'm actually as we speak moving to Wilmington, NC for grad school. Wilmington was always on the top of my "places to move to" list, and I really liked the School of Education there. When I was looking it kept coming up in my 1st 2 choices. I'll report back when you ask in a few months time, but so far so good.
    Yeah, another transplant to my home city! I'm a Wilmington native, and we do have some good places around here. For housing though, I recommend staying out of New Hanover County.

OP: there is a tractor supply not too far from Wilm, headed towards Raleigh. If you won't to avoid snow and ice most years, then I recommend my end of the coast! As for hay, most available is coastal bermuda but others can be had. Riding on the beaches is always a plus if that interests you. And we have a wide range of riding types and styles along with people but those of us from the South still offer good ol' southern hospitality.

We moved from upstate NY to NC for employment. Been in NC for about 15+ years. Was culture shock at first but as more "northerners" have moved here it really isn't that bad. Yes you will have people asking about what church you attend. You are in the south for petes sake. As for Charlotte traffic it does stink but there are plenty of back roads to get to the big city. We have lived near the Tryon area. No jobs out that way, very expensive land wise you have to travel to Spartenburg, SC or Hendersonville for real stores other than Wally world. We now live north of Charlotte, about 45 miles and land is pretty reasonable (Farm down the street for sale 30 acres for $250,000). We are far enough out in the country with all the amenities that I consider important, there is about 4 TSC within a 40 mile radius.

The boarding/horse scene is all over the map where I am. I don't ride anymore but drive a pony. There are some top eventing/HJ/dressage/and western trainers in the area. Board can range from $150 back-yard to as high as $800 depending on where you want to be. There are plenty of trails if you do that are within an hour or two away. Plenty of shows and clinics that go on too.

There are some great vets in the area too. I purchase my feed at the Southern States near me. I feed a timothy mix from them. I only have one pony so it is cost effective for me so don't have to buy bulk hay. Fescue is what most feed here. Orchard would be the next one. I know barns that buy truck loads from NY too.

We drove down to check things out too before taking the plunge. Other than missing family, we don't plan on moving back to NY. No snow but we do get ice storms and everything shuts down when there is a hint of snow in the air. Taxes are cheap but there is a food tax is a little high but still cheaper than in NY. We couldn't afford what we have here in NC in NY for the taxes alone.

Summers are hot and humid but you ride in the early AM or at night. Winters are mild and I try to get out and drive at least 4x a week. Though it has been extremely wet this week. Hope that helps.

I'm in between Winston Salem and Charlotte in Statesville. It's nothing to write home about - but I really like the affordable living and easy drive to the big city! I used to live in Raleigh, but the traffic annoyed me and my house and board bills were too expensive.

I would absolutely choose Winston Salem over Charlotte, for the reason mentioned multiple times - Traffic!

I found a great place to board that is relatively cheap and a wonderful trainer and I am very happy with my current location. The only thing that would make it better is if a Whole Foods came to Statesville.

Winston also has a cool, downtown artsy scene for being where it is. And we have gotten the most beautiful hay out of Iredell county (Statesville area).

I grew up in Salisbury. It is a beautiful little town just 45 miles north of Charlotte. Real estate is cheaper there. However, if you really want to go warmer, I'd be looking at Camden, SC or down in Southern Pines. It's noticeably warmer and you avoid the ice and snow. I agree that south of Charlotte anywhere in the northern part of SC is way less expensive.

I can't believe no one's mentioned the red clay yet. Make life easy on yourself and choose a sandy soil area (mainly south & east of Raleigh.)

We moved from NY to NC in '84 & enjoy it more every year.

I forgot about how bad Charlotte traffic is, Mooresville too. A good thing to remember is "instant idiot, just add water."