The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stormcats .......anyone? ;)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/thank+you+ian

Iam not familar with the Stormcats, couldn't find much through a search, can anyone give me info regarding this pedigree? I will be picking this horse up soon at Penn Nat.
    TIA

Ive dealt with a lot of them thru racing, and I refuse to have anymore. Not to say they can't be nice, all I can tell you is my experience from racing. Difficult attitudes, breathing issues, crooked legs. I stay away from them for racing. Im sure you will find many people have them as non-race horses and they are fine. But for my use, Ill never have them again.

Well trainer is a close friend of mine, he has had tie back surgery, he is one of the sweetest horses in her shed row, and she said a beautiful mover. I must confess he has a very different looking head??

I've never personally dealt with any, but I've heard what halo said, that they're just unpleasant to deal with, bad attitudes and such.

If you do your search as "Storm Cat" with the quotes and the space, you will pull up a lot of threads, like this one

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ight=storm+cat

They don't have the best reputation.
    Sample size of 1 my event horse is by Stormy Atlantic and is absolutely awesome. Not crazy or stubborn at all. I am an AA and bought him directly at the track.

On that pedigree otherwise, a lot of people like Black Tie Affair, and some try to limit Raise A Native crosses.

My mare, Bayshore Gal, is a GGD through Wiseman's Ferry. She is willing, sensible, and a sweetheart in the barn. She can be opinionated, but she is a TB mare <G>. She is a nice trail horse and so far seems willing over fences. I spent the summer just putting miles on her and I am looking forward to seeing what she does this summer.

Christa

Well I suppose like many other lines Iam finding good and bad. If this horse had an ill temperament, crooked legs, or was unsound in any way my friend would not bother to move him on to me, so seems maybe he is on the better side of the spectrum!

Can anyone shed some light on the dam side??

After having one before I vowed never to do it again. Well.... I went up to the Finger Lakes track and brought one home in October. He broke 2 rules, he's by a Storm Cat son and he has double swirls on his forehead but there was something about him that drew me to him (he found me!). He has turned out to be a very good mover, a clever jumper with great form and the sweetest horse in the barn. Everyone falls in love with him and has no trouble handling him. The plan is to see if he wants to be an event horse.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tanzillion
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Consider the source of the Storm Cat blood and consider how far back it is. SC was a top sire and known as a sire of sires, so he has MANY sons in the stud. In many cases the SC is back in the 3rd generation and may be moderated by many other influences. It's hard to find a modern TB without any SC someplace!

Consider Tanzillion, who I saw race BTW. He's by Catienus, who has sired some horses that are far less opinionated that the "typical" Storm Cat. Forestry is another source of SC, but is a bit hotter. (That said, consider the animal, Judybigredpony had one last spring when I visited her. He was 3 days off the track and acted like an old showhorse and was stunning.)

OP, I don't know Certain Storm, but his dam La Affirmed was a nice mare by Affirmed, who acted while racing like a cool old showhorse. Their temperaments are notable for good reasons.
    Thank You Ian has a ton of Raise a Native which some people dislike but again, consider the horse in front of you before the breeding. I used to lease a Mr. Prospector grandson. He was 20 then, still dragging folks to the fences after racing til age 9! Looking at the pedigree, you's assume he'd be a cripple but his legs are as straight as an arrow.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Ive had personal dealings with 5 direct Storm Cat offspring. One was perfectly fine, one colt was an absolute horror (who will remain nameless because he is well known), would spin and wheel on the track from a full gallop; one was a high dollar filly that was so nuts we had to totally pad her stall with rubber mats so she wouldnt kill herself, one filly broke her knee before she even got to the races. I believe she's a stakes producer now, and one colt was pretty nice, but you could hear him breathing on the track from a half mile away. He never ran.

There have been two in my barn: a gelding and a mare. The gelding was incredibly athletic and a beautiful mover, but had no idea how to moderate his athleticism. For example, if he kicked at a fly, his hind leg went to impossibly full extension (if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed a leg could go that straight back that high). As a result, he was forever hurting himself and was finally retired at a young age.

The mare has been very slow to mature. She is also athletic, but has a sense of how much to do in any situation. She's sensitive and can be very tense, but she's a tryer and smart: you can feel her figuring out a new jumping challenge. MY dressage guru thinks she's the best of all the OTTBs I've ridden with him.

Based on my "n" of two, I can understand why some people don't and some people do like them!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

The pedigree doesn't seem scary to me at all. I don't know much about the sire, but he's a full brother to Bernstein (now deceased). The Bernstein offspring I've met have been pretty easy to work with. I've also handled a few others from the La Affirmed line, and they're a pretty classy bunch.

To me, the 4x appearance of Raise A Native is perhaps more concerning than the Storm Cat. I like Black Tie Affair on the damside, though.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I have noticed these horses really need a different type of training. Yes they can be hard to work with and have nasty temperments but at the same time not all of these guys are like this. My gelding is western cat x lovin darlin, never ever herd of lovin darlin but she didnt race at all. I got my guy at age 5 hes now 8 we have had a long uphill battle for the last few years but its paying off. These horses though are not for the amature who wants a project horse, i realized this after about a year of working with him. When i came into ownership of this horse he had last raced about 3 months prior, had bad feet, bad coat and on feed that an x racehorse should not be on eg 5lbs of alfalfa and 5lbs of sweet feed a day! Hes gained weight and has become the joy i have been wanting in a horse despite being hot at times. I have not noticed the crooked legs i you talk about. There was a mare at the old farm inwas at who had a great mind but also a bit spooky, she had pretty good legs as well as my guy and the other gelding who just left my barn.

I have taken to light undemanding work with him over the last year and its calmed his mind down a tun, i think alot of these storm cat horses really do have a tun of anxiety and dont know how to channel their energy but at the same time i know this type of horse needs almost full field turn out. Oh his feet have gotten much better and is currently recovering from a splint fracture and is barefoot. I think alot also has to do with the breeding and how much of the mind they get from their momma.

His pedigree if your intested in lookin http://www.pedigreequery.com/t+js+lil+darlin

I have no knowladge of what he was like at the track or if he sustained any injuries he deffinately is all the talent these horses are known for

Quote Originally Posted by horsecents View Post
    After having one before I vowed never to do it again. Well.... I went up to the Finger Lakes track and brought one home in October. He broke 2 rules, he's by a Storm Cat son and he has double swirls on his forehead but there was something about him that drew me to him (he found me!). He has turned out to be a very good mover, a clever jumper with great form and the sweetest horse in the barn. Everyone falls in love with him and has no trouble handling him. The plan is to see if he wants to be an event horse.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tanzillion
    Side tracking for a second... THANK YOU horsecents for taking hom Tanzillion. Nice horse and I am so glad he got a COTH home.

I watched enough of his races to see that he looked like a huge talent. COngrats and keep us updated.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I have a Storm Cat grandson (Notable Cat) that I bought as a "made" show/event horse in the fall of 2011. He is a big bodied 16.2, very good conformation, a VERY good mover and an EXCELLENT jumper. He is personable, but maybe a touch "pushy" which might be his previous owner's doing...not his pedigree!! He could EASILY pass for a WB!! I think you have to judge each horse as an individual. So many things to into the recipe of a sport/show horse. A lot depends on his "history" as well as his genetics!! I plan to sell him in the future just because I am cutting back on my riding stock, but he can go so many ways - classic hunter, dressage, event or jumpers I should not have a problem finding him the right home!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Thank you Emily for the thumbs up! It's interesting that you mention watching his (Tanzillion) race videos. The morning I saw him at the track and watched him jog he was higher than a kite! I later watched his 2 win races to get an idea of what his trot and canter looked like and of course I liked what I saw and bought him.

When the vet called after he flexed him I asked how he was to jog, "Like jogging a butterfly" was the response.

Getting back to my response to the OP, the first SC grandson I bought was outright bad news. At first I attributed it to being a SC descendant but after contacting the breeder I really think it came from the mare. The breeder was happy to hear I gave this horse a good home because his younger half brother had to be euthanized after running through a fence. The horse I had purchased also had a rather large scar in his chest area from coming into contact with something.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

I rode one amazingly bad Storm Cat when I worked for Michael at Fair Hill. Now mind you one of the allures of Fair Hill is that the distance and locations of the barns allows the horses to "hack" to the track. Yea that's great if you have a calm one, but awful if you have a high one.

This horse, Draft Age (Named after the Wyeth Painting due to Mr. Porters friendship with the Wyeths) was ok on the walk up, but he could be worse on the walk back. He was a mess anyway. He had a number of issues and in point of fact never made it to the races.

This is him: http://www.horsephotos.com/watermark.jsp?photoID=28841

One particular day I had the lovely misfortune to be riding this horse on the main dirt track... He shot me off at the 1/8th pole like I was a potato on a labrador, I mean G.O.N.E. He did this by stopping dead from a gallop and wheeling to the side. Then they caught him and I rode him home. Wherein by the barn he spooked at a cat and reared, spun, staggered dropped me again and ran off. I threw my whip after him I was so frustrated. Mind you I had a pretty decent rep for being able to stay on most anything. I qualify that now to I could stay on anything but a rank 2 yr old Storm Cat.

But the best part about him was when he literally tore his throat open on a stall door latch. I missed seeing how he did it by seconds but he had been beating the door with his front leg so we think he knocked it off the latch and tried to come out but slit his throat. YOu know the saying "You can't kill a bad horse," yep that was him.

He was sold for a whopping $7500 later in his life and now is a breeding stallion.

But off somewhere in Oklahoma.

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I don't think you can compare how they act while at the track or in track training with how they may be as sport horses. We all have had horses who while holy terrors at the track or just neurotic messes.....when let down, and in a different farm situation etc. they become different animals.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Oh I wasn't comparing. I was telling the story of the one son of SC I rode and as such it was at the track. My description of him being bad should be relegated to the time frame in which I worked with/rode him.

He could be a nice stallion. Who knows.

He last stood in Pa it turns out but there's no listing of him for this year.

Emily