The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumper Barn in DC Metro Area where I can lease ch/aa jumper??

I just moved to Alexandria, VA and this summer will start school at GWU in foggy bottom.

My horse is a seasoned 3'6" jumper, currently in Columbus, OH (where I'm from). Her lease is now up and it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to find another lease there. So I am looking to move her to the DC area and hopefully lease her for 6 months to a year until I'm settled.

I know there are a TON of threads about boarding/lessons in the area, but my specific question is: does anyone know of barns/trainers that have the type of clients who would be interested in leasing a 3'6" ch/aa jumper? I am super flexible and would even be willing to do a half-lease, or an expense only lease for the right person/situation. I just want her to stay as happy, healthy and sound as she is right now

It seems there are a lot of boarding facilities/up-down lesson places but I really need a place with a jumper trainer that has clients and shows. I am hoping that I can find a place where I can take 1-2 lessons a week so I can stay fit for riding and have my horse back when the lease is up.

I don't have any connections in this area so I'm not sure where to start.

Any help/info is appreciated. Thanks!

I'd start with Rolling Acres, bit of an easier drive than to the VA 'burbs from where you will be and they do more jumpers than most with enough clientele for a possible lease situation. David Lohman is great but his place is a smaller operation. He has super nice clients. Alan Lohman/Persimmon Tree might be a possibility as well but not sure about how the lease would fly. Overall, I'd look toward MD rather than VA. I am sure you'll get lots of good suggestions. Enjoy school!

Quote Originally Posted by fourfillies View Post
    I'd start with Rolling Acres, bit of an easier drive than to the VA 'burbs from where you will be and they do more jumpers than most with enough clientele for a possible lease situation. David Lohman is great but his place is a smaller operation. He has super nice clients. Alan Lohman/Persimmon Tree might be a possibility as well but not sure about how the lease would fly. Overall, I'd look toward MD rather than VA. I am sure you'll get lots of good suggestions. Enjoy school!
    Alan has his own farm (and is great). Persimmon Tree is Kenny Krome's (also great). Both are course designers and judges. Just clarifyin'

You have a pm.