The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tailors: Creating a bigger waistline for breeches?

Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I ran a search and found nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with making the waist of a pair of breeches bigger?

I found a killer deal at my local tack shop on a pair of full seat (possibly leather), white Kentucky's. I'm a size 28-30. These are a 26. They made it on until I went to button them. My heart sank as it was at least an inch or so far from making it. Ok. Ok. I'm sure that they were really pasted on more than I want to remember. But at $15, I wouldn't mind around the barn.

I found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_7816274_make...er.html#page=0. Would this work in my situation? The breeches would be just for schooling so it doesn't matter how lovely they look.

Any other possible ideas?

For some reason that link timed me out.

As a veteran shrinker and expander the first thing you go to is the fastener, it can be shifted to be tighter or looser. The next thing you have to look at is your seams. When I was a teen I altered a 24 to fit my 26+ self and I was able to do it because there was ample material left over on the inside of the breeches. If you open up the breech and it has a serged seam with no extra material you are going to need to buy more material and put it in as a gusset. Any good tailor can do that, either let out or put in a gusset, if you have to do it yourself it is hard but not as hard as putting in zippers. Tedious, really. I have right now some no name KY jods that have a total potential increase of four inches in the waistband - what they don't have is that material extending down to the crotch which I would undoubtedly need if my waist expanded four inches so letting the breeches out only works to a point.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It really depends on how the waistband is constructed. The article you linked to would work for jeans or other types of pants that have a waistband made of the same material as the pants. Some breeches have a one-piece, wide elastic waistband covered in matching fabric on the outside. I would not use the technique in the article on that type of waistband, because you don't want to cut into the elastic band. I would just remove the current waistband and sew on a longer one, or add a 2-3" piece on the end and move the buttons/snaps. Otherwise, adding a gusset as the above poster described is another good way to do it.

K it let me in that time. That'll work. It won't be pretty.
    What I neglected to mention is that if it is only the waistband that's too small then you'll need to add material to the waistband if shifting the hard fastener doesn't work, that is what the method in the link is describing.

And T is quite correct, waistbands are made differently in different brands of breech, a totally new waistband could be the way to go.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Most good cleaners can direct you to a good seamstress in your area to get any clothes altered.
    They can truly do miracles and don't cost much.
    Get those cheap breeches and take them to one to make them fit.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gotta love COTH. Thanks for all of the great ideas. I gotta call my tack shop and hope they still have em. I'm going to kick myself if not. A killer deal.