The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Am I correct in seeing that the Facebook page is closed for any further discussion, except the page with the "laundry" list. Why shut it down? It also said rep's from each region were selected etc.; how did that process take place? How did one become a member of the AADI in the first place (from the facebook page it says 350 members, so I'm guessing they didn't open it up to all AA's, since there are a few more than just that). I guess I missed out on all of that, I'm just wondering when the formed the group and why they closed it now. From the little I can gather from the now closed Facebook pages, it pretty much looks like the regional GMO's are taking over the initiative for their regions and will provide their regions what ever programs etc they come up with. So essentially we are kind of sort of right where we started. Anyone not in a big region are once more left to their own devices, those fortunate enough to be in an active region will hopefully see a few more things geared towards AA's.

Please correct me if I've miss read the facebook page.
    Hopefully someone from AADI will post an update - I actually found this FB page early on, and was quite interested in becoming involved, but FB is a very inefficient way to communicate (at least for this kind of group), and I gave up trying to figure out what was going on. It seems the "reps" were appointed by whoever opened the FB page - some of us volunteered and were not appointed - and some who were appointed are not AAs. I am not sure that "being an AA" is a requirement, and that is probably OK. The appointments seemed arbitrary?

There were two different FB pages with identical names - which made it really confusing, at least for me! Which page to try to follow? Maybe they just closed one of the pages?

Personally, I think the GMOs should be involved - so few people are on FB, or are on it long enough to explore all the groups out there. To get true involvement will require GMO communication - and I think the reps should come out of the GMOs.

The original "big names" appointed (by USEF?) to head up this group are not AAs, and I suspect, are a long distance (financially and in reality) from the life of the "regular" AA - so I am hoping that more "big names" take interest in the group. People who are actually supportive of regular people with regular income on regular horses, versus the small group of AAs who are high income with high end horses. I think that is the biggest issue for most AAs - the $$$$ of dressage. Use to be you could show a regular horse at a one day show and not feel like the poor, unwelcome cousin. Now there is exclusive education programs for the 'high end' only. Shows reward the big moving high end horses only. Cost of showing has increased dramatically. Cost of memberships - by the time you add in all the various horse and rider numbers needed - confusing and expensive. So for the middle income rider/owner, there isn't a lot left that USDF offers.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Hopefully someone from AADI will post an update - I actually found this FB page early on, and was quite interested in becoming involved, but FB is a very inefficient way to communicate (at least for this kind of group), and I gave up trying to figure out what was going on. It seems the "reps" were appointed by whoever opened the FB page - some of us volunteered and were not appointed - and some who were appointed are not AAs. I am not sure that "being an AA" is a requirement, and that is probably OK. The appointments seemed arbitrary?

There were two different FB pages with identical names - which made it really confusing, at least for me! Which page to try to follow? Maybe they just closed one of the pages?

Personally, I think the GMOs should be involved - so few people are on FB, or are on it long enough to explore all the groups out there. To get true involvement will require GMO communication - and I think the reps should come out of the GMOs.

The original "big names" appointed (by USEF?) to head up this group are not AAs, and I suspect, are a long distance (financially and in reality) from the life of the "regular" AA - so I am hoping that more "big names" take interest in the group. People who are actually supportive of regular people with regular income on regular horses, versus the small group of AAs who are high income with high end horses. I think that is the biggest issue for most AAs - the $$$$ of dressage. Use to be you could show a regular horse at a one day show and not feel like the poor, unwelcome cousin. Now there is exclusive education programs for the 'high end' only. Shows reward the big moving high end horses only. Cost of showing has increased dramatically. Cost of memberships - by the time you add in all the various horse and rider numbers needed - confusing and expensive. So for the middle income rider/owner, there isn't a lot left that USDF offers.
    The USDF Adult Clinic audit fee is $80 for two days, not too expensive.
    Theresa
    http://www.usdf.org/docs/education/c...rationForm.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by AZ TD View Post
    The USDF Adult Clinic audit fee is $80 for two days, not too expensive.
    Theresa
    http://www.usdf.org/docs/education/c...rationForm.pdf
    If you live nearby. They never rotate the locations - I'm in California, and it is ALWAYS in So-Cal - which means either paying for a flight, car rental, and hotel, or driving a full day (8 hours or more and 2+ tank of gas) each way (and taking two more days off work for driving time). Which makes it expensive - I've suggested before rotating locations within each region, so the entire region is served over a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ TD View Post
    The criteria includes AAs and guests need to be riding or training FEI. It is meant to be a peer-to-peer forum. See link below.

http://www.usdf.org/education/other-...ence/index.asp

What I find frustrating is the low attendance at many other educational forums available, and then I hear complaints about there not being enough.

Theresa
    AZ.....perhaps if the attendance is low, people are making a statement about what they are interested in. Maybe it is not about the money, but the material being presented. Has anyone done any analysis of what AA's would like to see in clinics? Maybe its about what MOR and js posted......and locations are not convenient.

As far as the FEI Trainer's Forum being "peer to peer"....what better way for an AA to learn what they should be aspiring to? To be able to see top riders being schooled by top trainers give an aspiring rider the "eye" to know when something is being done correctly and to be self-reflective about their own riding progress.

And for the statement that some people make that this Forum is somehow above the understanding of a mere AA, the regulatory agencies for design of nuclear reactors make NO requirements to attend a workshop on the design rules for nuclear pressure vessels.
    http://www.asme.org/products/courses...rules-for-cons
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Am I correct in seeing that the Facebook page is closed for any further discussion, except the page with the "laundry" list. Why shut it down? It also said rep's from each region were selected etc.; how did that process take place? How did one become a member of the AADI in the first place (from the facebook page it says 350 members, so I'm guessing they didn't open it up to all AA's, since there are a few more than just that). I guess I missed out on all of that, I'm just wondering when the formed the group and why they closed it now. From the little I can gather from the now closed Facebook pages, it pretty much looks like the regional GMO's are taking over the initiative for their regions and will provide their regions what ever programs etc they come up with. So essentially we are kind of sort of right where we started. Anyone not in a big region are once more left to their own devices, those fortunate enough to be in an active region will hopefully see a few more things geared towards AA's.

This is one of the reasons I posted this thread.....it is not clear what AADI are doing. Leslie Valente, the "chair" of this group, is based out of Wellington, not exactly the center of the average AA's riding base.

I was trying to find out how AADI was going to reflect the riding needs of someone say in Arkansas......or Montana......or any state not within 8 hours driving distance from either coast.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

I'm baffled by the whole AADI thing. It pops up in mid December, who knew it was on facebook to begin with to even check to be able to join. Did invites go out to select people or was it announed via the USDF or USEF? Then within a month the whole thing has closed to new members, board and regional rep's are already picked and it's for my intent seems a done deal with no further input from the masses. I see where one region posted about doing a possible magazine? Not sure how that will help, another proposing something for their region. Again, it really looks like nothing is being done other than what is already being done by GMO's, except they are possibly trying a few new things. They will still only be reaching those they already reach so the masses and the ones missing out are still going to be without. I give up.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default More info

Discussions occurred on the FB page called Dressage For Adult Amateurs. When the discussion came about for us to band together and actually do something to help adult amateurs another page was made. Anyone and everyone was invited to chime in.... as in amateurs.

Leslie spearheaded the thing and made the page. We decided, as a group, to divide into regions so that each region could discuss what was important to them. People.... all people (amateurs) were given the opportunity to volunteer to work as a rep for their region.

Each region then went ahead with their volunteers and created their own page so that they could discuss amongst themselves. My region, with about 8 volunteers then decided amongst ourselves who the two head reps would be.

As that was going on volunteers were asked for on the main page to run on a national level for certain board positions. An election was held for I think four posts, and everyone had an opportunity to vote. And we did.

Leslie became chairman and rightfully so as she really became the go to person. She is an amateur and yes she's in Wellington, along with other amateurs, a few of which I know personally to be amateurs. Just very fortunate amateurs!!

The laundry list was everyone brainstorming, both on the regional and national levels as to the direction of the organization, soliciting help from agreeable pros like Janet Foy and Axel Steiner. Others have shown interest in helping as well. However, they are not part of the board, their position being more in an advisory capacity.

As far as I know, with the exception of any advisory people, everyone is an amateur. However, there are many people involved and it's not like I asked for everyone's ID to know exactly how they are invovled with horses or what activities they do.

The page on FB called the Adult Amateur Initiative shows as having 388 members currently, 12 of which are new. Any amateur on FB is welcome to become involved. All sorts of stuff needs to be done. Some regions may feel they have enough members on their steering committess, others may want more. Again, I cannot speak for every region as I'm not part of every region.

If anyone wishes to become involved I would suggest they get on FB and come and play. The more the merrier I say!

USDF had nothing to do with initiating any of this and in fact, when the time comes, we will approach THEM with whatever plan we decide and we will see what they say.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3021...ref=ts&fref=ts

Both the main group and the Region 7 group are open. There's also an Adult Amateur Initiative page, which anyone can Like: http://www.facebook.com/TheAdultAmat...iative?fref=ts

Anyone can become a member of a group by just clicking on the Join Group link.

Re. not opening it up to all AAs, we didn't open OR close it. We just set it up, posted on our personal profiles, posted on this BB and told everyone we knew. Anyone can join. We then set up groups for the individual regions because different regions have problems and ideas that don't work for other regions.

There's no "us" and "them" here--it's just a bunch of us AAs trying to come up with ideas to present to USDF. Feel free to chime in.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

2 members found this post helpful.

There was a thread here with a link to the AADI and open to volunteers for anything before there were any kind of elections. New membership was temporarily closed while voting went on, but is open again. We do not limit to AAs only, just require that members be interested in supporting AAs in the US - there's no test, that's just the request as you ask to join.

I believe it was Katarine who made the very relevant point that no committee does a lot in a month! I would like to see the group gather enough direction that by the next USDF convention any folks who are there can represent the various key issues we choose to focus on. The first term for officers is only one year - I personally feel like that's long enough to start getting a feel for direction, but also get to know other folks on the board to figure out who is best in each position.

I am the AADI secretary more out of lack of folks who volunteered and wanting to ensure that we had someone who wanted to work on the very issues mentioned here as far as confusion about web presence and a lack of ways for folks not on facebook to get involved. I will be documenting all the comments made on COTH which aren't already in our issues document where we've been collecting ideas, so even those of you who haven't joined the facebook group are still being heard.

Again, anyone on facebook can join right now - no exclusions, no cliques. The original steering committee was a line in the sand of folks who volunteered by region at that point in time. Voting for the board was based upon the folks who were members of the facebook group before voting started, with all membership requests which had been made granted. Each region has two representatives who can vote on the board as well as the three of us in named positions for the "executive board." It is an intial setup to ensure each region can have representation, not a permanent and unchangeable structure.

Within the next year I hope to develop a solid path forward for communication and use of technology. Pluvinel, I would like to personally invite you to help us with website/technology research. I have agreed with you each time that facebook isn't the ultimate answer for how to run this group. It is what we have right now, and over the next year I hope to have a better answer which is clearer and more understandable and allows more folks to participate, continually improving communication and clarity for all those who are interested. As I have stated previously, and was mentioned in this thread - this started on facebook because it's where Leslie the mastermind of the group had folks with whom she was discussing AA issues. That doesn't mean the plan is for it to stay there forever. Help is very welcome!

Another thing to keep in mind: This IS a group of AAs. Many of us have full time jobs plus one or more horses we ride and train ourselves. We aren't going to be spending 40 hours/week running this thing, and of course it will take time to make progress. Leslie has been extremely sick with the flu, and Anne the VP has been asking folks to be patient, as just rushing into some of the suggestions before we decide what direction to go is a mistake made by many organizations. We are new - we have not been around long, and because we want to be the voice of a wide variety of AAs, trying to set a specific agenda and run with it right now would be a mistake.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

3 members found this post helpful.

OK....I'm back.....I was hoping that AADI would provide some information as to who are the people that are supposed to be representing thousands of AA's.

I understand that getting things done takes a while, but how about some info?

The FB page is confusing and provides minimal info on who's who in the zoo.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Well, I can only speak for myself (one of the reps for Region 7). I'm an AA with one horse showing at 3rd level in the Los Angeles area. My business background is in tech, social media and marketing consulting.

My goal is to find ways to make showing more affordable for AAs, and to increase educational opportunities that are both practical and affordable for AAs with full-time jobs and families.

This doc in the overall Amateur FB group is where people have listed their skillsets and what they can offer to the effort:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/30213...6052522847051/
    www.thislifeblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    The FB page is confusing and provides minimal info on who's who in the zoo.
    I would agree, the facebook page is hard to get thru, the conversations are disorganized, scattered about and you can't follow the progress of what is going on; which is one reason I don't like facebook and don't really use it that much. I'm not dissing anyone for it, I realize you all work full time,are horse owners with families and have little time to devote to facebook etc but it's difficult to get thru.
    Last edited by js; Jan. 21, 2013 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBrentnall View Post
    Well, I can only speak for myself (one of the reps for Region 7). I'm an AA with one horse showing at 3rd level in the Los Angeles area. My business background is in tech, social media and marketing consulting.

My goal is to find ways to make showing more affordable for AAs, and to increase educational opportunities that are both practical and affordable for AAs with full-time jobs and families.

This doc in the overall Amateur FB group is where people have listed their skillsets and what they can offer to the effort:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/30213...6052522847051/
    Thanks for the update...js does make a point about FB being difficult to follow.....which is why I resurrected this thread.

Please be aware that are some companies that have policies on use of FB. So if the group wants to solicit broad input, it might want to consider what mechanisms are available when FB is not possible.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Noted, and agreed. Maybe people could post their ideas here or PM me and I'll make sure they're added to the laundry list we're putting together.
    www.thislifeblog.com

Some interesting facts about the USDF membership that were brought up on the Facebook page though I think that link may have been older data? I got this from the website:
    • 218 Business Memberships
    • 16,216 Participating Memberships
    • 24,338 Group Member Organization Memberships
    • 121 Affiliated Group Member Organizations
    • 850 Recognized Competitions
    USDF Members
    USDF members are characterized by loyalty to dressage and their horses. The federation currently has more than 35,000 members:
    • 90% are adults
    • 96% are female
    • 66% are over the age of 41 years of age
    • 96% own at least one horse
    • 87% compete at least one horse
    • 37% own at least five acres of land
    • 70% have an income of $75,000 and above
    Competitive Dressage Horses
    • High insured values
    • Large investment and long-term relationship between horse and rider
    • Average competitive life is ten years
    • Peak performance age average is twelve years
    • Average age at which a horse is USDF lifetime registered is 7.5 years
    • 13,666 new horses have been registered since 2005
    • 92% increase in the horses competing at USDF recognized shows
    Youth FAQs
    1. What is the Youth Programs Advisory Subcommittee?
    2. What is the USDF Youth Volunteer of the Year Award?
    3. What is the High School Dressage Club Pin Program?
    4. What is the USEF Youth Sportsman's Award?
    5. What is Youth Convention Scholarship?
    6. What is Youth Shining Star Program?
    7. What is NAJYRC?
    8. What is the USDF/USEF Young Rider Graduate Program?
    9. What are Youth Regional Team Competitions?
    10. What are the Platinum Performance/USDF Junior/Young Rider (Jr/YR) Clinics?
    11. What is the USEF Young Equestrians Advisory Group?
    12. What is the USDF Dressage Seat Equitation Program?

I added the Youth FAQs to show that there is a lot dedicated to youth members even though they makeup a very small percentage (10% or less) of the membership population. Not that I don't feel Youth programs aren't important.

Also, still trying to follow the AADI on Facebook but I'm sorry, it's just too all over the place and often people get off on silly tangents. Maybe I'm just not used to how Facebook is used.
    Last edited by js; Jan. 26, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

So what is going on with the AADI? I check the Facebook page occassionally but I still find it hard to follow what exactly is going on. Still seems a little disorganized but maybe that is the Facebook format that makes it this way. Still gather that a good bit of emphasis is on showing, awards etc. is that accurate? It would be interesting to see how many AA's are more focused on showing v/s learning/training.

Pluvinel, all of your posts seem to be just wanting - no, baiting - to cause trouble. If you want to know what is going on, just ask! get on FB yourself (it's easy). Can you not agree that ANY effort to get USDF to acknowledge the importance of their AA members, and the fact that many AAs feel we are not getting our fair share of USDF's programs and opportunities, is a good thing? Even if it moves at a snail's pace? You can stand on the side and complain, or get involved and try to make changes.
    I am just a member, not on any board. Here are some items:
    Each region developed a list of 5 important items to work on with USDF. Here is the lin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3021...3619520090351/
    Designing a tag line to be used on promotional items. A few suggestions are up for voting.
    Board meeting scheduled for 3/4
    A letter of introduction to USDF, addressed to Mr. Williams, has been drafted and, I believe, mailed.
    Exec. board meeting Feb. 4 minutes have been posted.

FB is not the best format for groups such as this. But it is what we have.

It would be interesting to see how many AA's are more focused on showing v/s learning/training.

Must they be mutually exclusive?
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many AA's are more focused on showing v/s learning/training.

No, not at all, I was just trying to determine if there will emphasis on both, since not all of us are interested in showing or awards. Often all you see referred to is in regards showing and awards and much of the application process for clinics, especially the USDF asks for showing records, scores etc.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post

As an AA, I am interested in showing, learning, and training. Personally, I wouldn't JOIN USDF if I wasn't interested in showing.

And (not aimed at Exvet!), I also find Facebook a horrible way to present this info - it is not efficient or organized, and for most AAs who have to work and have little free time, this just isn't a way to get information out to us OR get us involved!